• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Light at the end of the (sled) tunnel - Attak Overhaul

steveg_nh

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Attak
So I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but after 3 months of working on my new to me 07 Attak, I am finally at the end of the road and it's almost time to call the freshening up a wrap, and put it in the trailer until the snow flies. I had to do a lot more than I expected, as I found issues at every turn, but I'm confident in her now.

This really is a thread of appreciation. I CANNOT being to express how appreciative I am of all of the folks on here that kept me focused and sane while working through the many issues I encountered while working on this sled, and doing what was originally supposed to be some general maintenance check up work. I cannot even imagine how much I would have paid a dealer to do all the labor I did myself, thanks to many members on this site. Plus I know it's done right. I don't do anything half way. I will be moving to a lifetime membership shortly, as this site is invaluable and I want to be sure I help it to continue.

I also want to personally and openly thank hensiljg2, Jim, for not only quality used parts at a great price, but for being my texting buddy, answering so many questions for me while I was working through this stuff. He certainly didn't have to, but he did, and I really appreciate it.

As I reflect, I thought a listing of what has been done will give you an idea of what I was up against. Some was easy, some wasn't... :D
  1. Replaced missing clips and washers in many spots
  2. New thumb warmer/throttle assembly
  3. New kill switch assembly
  4. Replaced exhaust with mountain exhaust (aftermarket on there, and was broken)
  5. Installed copper exhaust donuts
  6. Verified steering bushings were good (they actually were!)
  7. New snow flap
  8. Replaced broken rear bumper cover
  9. Missing button on gauge cluster fixed
  10. Broken headlight pod (tabs) fixed
  11. Both left and right cracked windshield cowls replaced
  12. Right side large engine shroud replaced
  13. Left and right lower engine covers/shrouds replaced
  14. Left and right exhaust covers replaced
  15. Left and right exhaust end caps replaced (were damaged, but also needed ones for mountain tips)
  16. Starter relay plug corrosion cleaned
  17. New starter relay
  18. Engine oil and filter change
  19. Chaincase oil change
  20. Replaced driveshaft bearing
  21. Repacked jackshaft bearing
  22. Intake boots seated and clamped (they weren't)
  23. Various missing screws replaced as found
  24. Replaced approximately 50 loose rivets as I found them all over sled
  25. Left and right tunnel heat exchangers replaced, cooling system flushed and bled
  26. Belly pan sured up (bent, all rivets loose)
  27. Various broken or bent studs replaced in track
  28. BOP metal engine cover installed
  29. Under seat exhaust shield replaced (broken tabs on it)
  30. All new wheel bearings in skid
  31. All new bushings in skid
  32. Added low snow wheel kit
  33. New hyfax
  34. Adjusted suspension back to default for now (until snow), was way hard/extreme
  35. On skid, various missing rivets and loose bumper stops on skid fixed
  36. Cross brace on skid snapped, but replaced
  37. Added 4th wheel kit to skid
  38. Added hood decal/wrap
  39. Carbon fiber airbox cover installed
  40. New spark plugs
  41. New coil pack (1) due to cracked tab on one
  42. New windshield
  43. Added windshield bag and nose bags
  44. Installed RideLite
  45. Removed broken RA adjust dial (cable broke), using cover plate provided by a Gitrdun (TY member), Thank you!
  46. Fixed broken tunnel protector tubes under tunnel (the rivets were pulled through)
  47. Rewired accessory 12v plug heated shield tap to improve connection quality
  48. Added GPS
  49. Installed tunnel reinforcements
  50. Added soft start spring (BOP)
  51. New secondary spring, ramps (buttons) and full cleaning, included offset and free play checks
  52. Installed scractchers on skis using BOP mounts
  53. Other general maintenance (what I thought would be all I had to do!)
  54. Solid state fuel relay installed
  55. Rear heat exchanger/cooler installed (with custom protectors)
  56. New front bumper
  57. Shined tunnel :D
The light at the end of the tunnel is there. Just some general secondary adjustments needed and I can get all the panels on and let her take a nap till the snow comes.

Here's the beautiful sound of her running last night, as I verified the proper temp (checking for air in cooling system) and making sure fan kicked on at right temp...rolled her back in and got her ready for tunnel reinforcement install tonight..

Again everyone, thank you! I feel as if I have a new sled now, and I cannot wait to ride it.

Last edited:

Glad we could help you will be one happy camper once you get to feel the pull of that monster!! enjoy!!

Now that's a beautiful sled

Great job !! Next time put it on a stand and REV it up :jump: That Super bike sound gets the heart pumping !!!

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to see you out on the trail. Something tells me ill be able to pick you out of a lineup pretty easily with that machine.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope to see you out on the trail. Something tells me ill be able to pick you out of a lineup pretty easily with that machine.
Yeah I'd say the orange suspension ins unique. I like it though!

The good news is not too much can go wrong now that I'd be worried I can't handle myself.

Nice job.. you saved yourself $$$$$$$$$$$.
The low snow wheel kit ain't going to do a lot on these machines in NH. You might want to think about getting Dupont Hyfax at some point. I finally gave in and used them and found they are great for our Attaks that eat hyfax pretty fast.
I envy you having time now to do this...I will have to wait probably until Dec 1st to do my transfer between new and old Attaks.

Nice job.. you saved yourself $$$$$$$$$$$.
The low snow wheel kit ain't going to do a lot on these machines in NH. You might want to think about getting Dupont Hyfax at some point. I finally gave in and used them and found they are great for our Attaks that eat hyfax pretty fast. I envy you having time now to do this...I will have to wait probably until Dec 1st to do my transfer between new and old Attaks.
I considered the Dupont Hyfax, and as I always do, did my reading. At this point, I decided to go ahead with the regular black ones.

So I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but after 3 months of working on my new to me 07 Attak, I am finally at the end of the road and it's almost time to call the freshening up a wrap, and put it in the trailer until the snow flies. I had to do a lot more than I expected, as I found issues at every turn, but I'm confident in her now.

This really is a thread of appreciation. I CANNOT being to express how appreciative I am of all of the folks on here that kept me focused and sane while working through the many issues I encountered while working on this sled, and doing what was originally supposed to be some general maintenance check up work. I cannot even imagine how much I would have paid a dealer to do all the labor I did myself, thanks to many members on this site. Plus I know it's done right. I don't do anything half way. I will be moving to a lifetime membership shortly, as this site is invaluable and I want to be sure I help it to continue.

I also want to personally and openly thank hensiljg2, Jim, for not only quality used parts at a great price, but for being my texting buddy, answering so many questions for me while I was working through this stuff. He certainly didn't have to, but he did, and I really appreciate it.

As I reflect, I thought a listing of what has been done will give you an idea of what I was up against. Some was easy, some wasn't... :D
  1. Replaced missing clips and washers in many spots
  2. New thumb warmer/throttle assembly
  3. New kill switch assembly
  4. Replaced exhaust with mountain exhaust (aftermarket on there, and was broken)
  5. Installed copper exhaust donuts
  6. Verified steering bushings were good (they actually were!)
  7. New snow flap
  8. Replaced broken rear bumper cover
  9. Missing button on gauge cluster fixed
  10. Broken headlight pod (tabs) fixed
  11. Both left and right cracked windshield cowls replaced
  12. Right side large engine shroud replaced
  13. Left and right lower engine covers/shrouds replaced
  14. Left and right exhaust covers replaced
  15. Left and right exhaust end caps replaced (were damaged, but also needed ones for mountain tips)
  16. Starter relay corrosion cleaned
  17. Engine oil and filter change
  18. Chaincase oil change
  19. Replaced driveshaft bearing
  20. Repacked jackshaft bearing
  21. Intake boots seated and clamped (they weren't)
  22. Various missing screws replaced as found
  23. Replaced approximately 50 loose rivets as I found them all over sled
  24. Left and right tunnel heat exchangers replaced, cooling system flushed and bled
  25. Belly pan sured up (bent, all rivets loose)
  26. BOP metal engine cover installed
  27. Under seat exhaust shield replaced (broken tabs on it)
  28. All new wheel bearings in skid
  29. All new bushings in skid
  30. Added low snow wheel kit
  31. New hyfax
  32. Adjusted suspension back to default for now (until snow), was way hard/extreme
  33. On skid, various missing rivets and loose bumper stops on skid fixed
  34. Cross brace on skid snapped, but replaced
  35. Added 4th wheel kit to skid
  36. Added hood decal/wrap
  37. Carbon fiber airbox cover installed
  38. New spark plugs
  39. New coil pack (1) due to cracked tab on one
  40. New windshield
  41. Added windshield bag and nose bags
  42. Installed RideLite
  43. Removed broken RA adjust dial (cable broke), using cover plate provided by a Gitrdun (TY member), Thank you!
  44. Fixed broken tunnel protector tubes under tunnel (the rivets were pulled through)
  45. Rewired accessory 12v plug to improve connection quality
  46. Added GPS
  47. Installed tunnel reinforcements
  48. Added soft start spring (BOP)
  49. Installed scractchers on skis using BOP mounts
  50. Other general maintenance (what I thought would be all I had to do!)
  51. Shined tunnel :D
The light at the end of the tunnel is there. Just some general secondary adjustments needed and I can get all the panels on and let her take a nap till the snow comes.

Here's the beautiful sound of her running last night, as I verified the proper temp (checking for air in cooling system) and making sure fan kicked on at right temp...rolled her back in and got her ready for tunnel reinforcement install tonight..

Again everyone, thank you! I feel as if I have a new sled now, and I cannot wait to ride it.
Gotta love a nice clean sled. Good job!!!

Back