• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lighter Adapter - Unswitched?

ateick

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'24 Rene XRS 900R
'18 SR Viper RTX (SOLD)
'20 Poo XCR 850 (SOLD)
Just ordered a Garmin Nuvi gps from ebay and plan on mounting using either a Ram mount or OSP for next seasons use.

Most cars have a easy way of changing a switched lighter adapter to unswitched (power always on). I'd like to have power all the time to the GPS so that it doesn't shut off during trail breaks.

Is there an easy solution to this? I know I can run separate power from the battery but someone may have found an easier way to use the stock outlet.

rock just had a product on here that might intrerest you as i think that is what it does. he makes the hot hands set up for the older yamaha sleds as well.

I've seen Rock's Smart Supply which looks great but its PandP with the lighter adapter which is powered only when ignition on. I was hoping for an easy way to have that live all the time .Easiest way I guess is to just run a fused line directly to it from the battery.

You are correct. The easiest way is to hook it directly to the battery.

Second on the direct connection to the battery (with a fuse, close the the battery of course!) Also worth putting a connector, such as an SAE connector in line so you can take the hood off easily without having to disconnect the cable back at the battery connection.

Well thanks for the help everybody. I think what I'll do is I planned on getting a battery tender so I'm going to extend the SAE connection from the battery into the goggle bag. Bat Tender jr. has a USB accessory for the SAE connector that I will add. That way I have an unswtiched fused line for the GPS in the winter and a connection point for the battery tender during the summer months .

Just asking why do you want the GPS to stay on after machine is off I have a Garman also I set it so the GPS battery takes over after sled off. Also if you let GPS power down as soon as you start up so will GPS and give it time and it goes back to where you left it.

Hey Canadaman.

I've never used a Garmin on a sled before (or for anything before actually - always use phone GoogleMaps or truck Nav) but when I was reading up on it a few things seemed to keep popping up. a) the one I ordered is used from ebay so I'm assuming the battery is in poor shape and may not last at all when power shut off. b) for short trail stops I didn't want to have the thing shut off and then have to reboot. Rebooting was described by some as a pain in the a$$ as you lost your programmed route/trip info ( I could be wrong on this though - please let me know) c) Cold can be the enemy of some units so I wanted it always on unless I pulled it to go inside.

Fire the Garman in the garage today loaded a destination turn off power GPS ask if you want to leave on or it will shut down in 30 seconds fire it up loads up to (where to) and (view map) you just press view and its right where you left it. If you don't have a destination in it will fire up and go to the trial you are on. It takes time but works good had mine for three years now if your lakes are staked it will show the trail across the lake its good if you get caught out at night and starts snowing.

Back