• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lithium ion Battery...please read

You would think a battery taking a charge wouldn't get that cold internally

As soon as you draw current from it, its going to warm up, and as long as you are charging it, it should stay warm enough. Also, once it does get warm it is pretty protected (insulated). :dunno:

Last edited:

it wont charge because it has a BMS at -10 C that shuts it COMPLETELY dwn, just get a lithium ion battery that does not have a BMS. it does discharge when cold but will not recover.

Called earthx . Their snowmobile batteries do not shut down at cold temps.

They call them safety devises. They just don't work as well in the cold. It's all over the internet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-174042_copy_540x1140.png
    Screenshot_20220114-174042_copy_540x1140.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 110
I know a lot of guys using them . Zero issues

My first year with one and it's going down to -25 tonight. See how or if it starts in the morning.

Last year I had mine outside on a trip with my EarthX snowmobile version and both nights got down to -30F. My sled started fairly easy both mornings. I had to jump two other sleds which had normal batteries using my batter jump pack I had brought along. Glad I brought it.

So had a buddy that purchased a Battery Tender lithium battery. I found out yesterday it also has a BMS built in and it shuts off at 32F! He found out the hard way as the sled was lighting up like a Christmas tree and shutting down. It too burned out the voltage regulator on a trip up north yesterday. Sounds like he got it running now with a different battery and a new voltage regulator.

So do you homework before purchasing a Lithium battery that has a BMS built in and shuts it down in cold temps like the OP and my buddy did yesterday. All lithium batters are not created equal.

I know the Shorai and the EarthX snow battery that doesn't have the BMS built in are fine for the cold.

THank you soo much Knapp, i appreciate the feed back ... but it sucks.. that you have also had a unit that blew the voltage regulator, , i am glad it wasnt something i did.... soo you learn from mistakes, well i now have 2 lith batteryes for my SEA DOO 's i guess!!! lol I have no budget soo ill go get an earth X or a SHORAI battery.

Just a note.. All batteries have a minimum operational temperature below which they should not be charged. For Lead Acid its -20c, for Lithium Ion, its -10c (even the ones that do not have a BMS or cold charging protection circuit). From an overall perspective, both batteries can support operating (drawing from battery) down to -20c below which even lead acid is challenged (can only be charged at micro current levels). All batteries can be damaged by operating at extreme temperatures but... the act of using a battery (by draw or charging) heats the internals of a battery, the question is how much. Where the battery is located also matters (proximity to a heat source, insulation, etc) so its a different environment for the battery in an apex vs a sidewinder.

I’ve used Moto batt for a while , anybody else use this one?

Attachments

• AD2AAADD-0948-4FE4-AE8D-37358B254729.jpeg
    AD2AAADD-0948-4FE4-AE8D-37358B254729.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 98
Right!
Now I'm glad I went with another Shorai lightweight battery and not one with a battery management system built in. And I also see now why EarthX builds their special SNOW battery without the BMS built in too.
Do you happen to have the part number for that Shorai lightweight u got? Thanks

-30 this morning . Sled cranked and started very easily. Was a little surprised it didn’t labour at all.

Do you happen to have the part number for that Shorai lightweight u got? Thanks

This is the one I bought, but know that the positive and negative are inverted because I also can use it on my motorcycle too. So its easy to swap the leads on the winder and thats the reason I use this battery. You could go to the Shorai site to get a different battery there too. The last one that lasted me 8 years a couple of which I used on the Winder was the LFX18, so it was a smaller battery even yet and worked terrific till it completely died one day from leaving the flasher plugged in too long.

Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery LFX24L3-BS12​

Just buy the cheapest AGM HD battery you can find and replace them as needed. I find AGM batteries work great in high vibration applications.

This is the one I bought, but know that the positive and negative are inverted because I also can use it on my motorcycle too. So its easy to swap the leads on the winder and thats the reason I use this battery. You could go to the Shorai site to get a different battery there too. The last one that lasted me 8 years a couple of which I used on the Winder was the LFX18, so it was a smaller battery even yet and worked terrific till it completely died one day from leaving the flasher plugged in too long.

Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery LFX24L3-BS12​

THANKS

Back