• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Locking Trailer Enclosure and Ramp

engineman

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex LTX, 2010 Vector LTX GT, 1996 Indy 500 SKS
Hello All,

Purchased an older Floe Protektor (1999??) ramp type 10ft enclosed trailer last spring to transport my two new to me Yamahas (09 Apex LTX & 10 Vector LTX GT). Things are tight in the trailer with the longer tracks but they fit.

Anyway...

I am looking for suggestions on how to lock the enclosure and how to lock the ramp to the trailer. When the sleds are off I can put the ramp in side and lock the enclosure but I would really like to lock it to the trailer in its storage place if possible. Another possibility would be to lock the sleds to the trailer via chain/cable and do the same for the ramp. I already plan on a lock for the coupler and lock on the receiver hitch.

Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - I did a search but didn't come up with anything specific for my questions ( but I am sometimes challenged in searches.... ;-)

Thanks!

Steve :Rockon:

My Triton with a Fastcap has lock holes where the hitch pins go. The ramp has a lock hole that lines up with the storage rail.

Like Viper said, don't you have hitch pins that could be replaced with a long shackle lock for the clamshell?

If not, just bolt two plates on, one on the shell and one on the trailer.

Same for the ramp, drill a hole through the ramp and a spot on the trailer, and use a long shackle lock. If not bolt a plate on with a hole for the lock. I couldn't find a good picture, this one is lockingin the pin, but the lock could just as easily go through the pin holes.

Take a look at another trailer, of the pics on trailer manuafacturer's websites, it should make sense to you then.

AcProd91_b54d5b32ec.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I'll check into what will fit on my trailer after looking at the various mfrs. sites.

Good idea on the shackle locks too.

If I don't find anything I'll post some pics of my locking design.

Thanks again!

Steve

Hey All,

I had originally thought the holes in the enclosure pins were too small to accomodate a "real" lock" but measuring told be a 5/16" shackle lock would indeed fit. Purchased a three pack of Master shackle locks at Fleet Farm and all should be good.

It just seems there is very little metal left on each side of the hole on the enclosure pins. Kind of weak IMHO, but should "keep honest people honest"

Thanks for the help!

Now I just have to get the sleds serivced and ready to go as we have snow here in MN a little earlier this year. :o|

Steve

I agree with what you said. Won't ever keep thieves out, but does discourage theft by opportunity. I've never had an issue with where I ride. Guess that's why I stay and ride the places I do lol.

Back