• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Locks

bigreis

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2007 Apex RTX
2009 Nytro XTX
What have you guys found to be the best trailer locks? I bought some Master Commercial ones about 5 years ago and ended up using a bolt cutter today to get them off as they wouldn’t unlock anymore. I was really surprised at how easy a cheap Harbor freight bolt cutter went through them. Literally 5 seconds with a $20 bolt cutter did the job... doesn’t make me sleep east at night!!!

Locks only keep honest ppl out.
I soak my trailer locks in undercoating oil every year and still end up replacing them before 5 years.

I don't know of a lock that thieves can't get by. When we trailer north, we never leave our sleds on the trailer overnight at any hotel/motel. Harder to steal them not loaded.

Make a habit of taking the locks off while trailering. Put them on while stopped. That has helped me.
And WD-40.

There are a few ideas for making your own using puck locks.

This one is also pretty good but doesn't lock the chains since some thieves will just use the chains to steal trailers.

If you want something ready made, Proven Industries are pretty bullet proof but the price reflects that.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks

What do I use? This one, which is basically an upgrade to their yellow cheap junk. The shank is beefy enough that a normal bolt cutter won't work. The key lock mechanism is cheesy and could probably be drilled out. Also doubt it would survive a good smack from a sledge hammer. I thread the chains on each side between the ball and the shank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reese-Towpowe...s=trailer+Coupler+Lock&qid=1609719241&sr=8-11

There are a few ideas for making your own using puck locks.

This one is also pretty good but doesn't lock the chains since some thieves will just use the chains to steal trailers.

If you want something ready made, Proven Industries are pretty bullet proof but the price reflects that.
https://www.provenlocks.com/collections/2-trailer-coupler-locks

What do I use? This one, which is basically an upgrade to their yellow cheap junk. The shank is beefy enough that a normal bolt cutter won't work. The key lock mechanism is cheesy and could probably be drilled out. Also doubt it would survive a good smack from a sledge hammer. I thread the chains on each side between the ball and the shank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reese-Towpowe...s=trailer+Coupler+Lock&qid=1609719241&sr=8-11
That one would be challenging!

On my enclosed trailer I put large deadbolts on the inside of ramp doors.
Mounted in upper corners when closed, they slid over the jamb to prevent ramp opening. This still leaves the passage door vulnerable but that means picking 2 lock cylinders on latch, no padlock there. Tongue is protected by a Krok Lock that works much like the home made version shown above. Not sure if they are still around but I purchased it at Novi show maybe a dozen years ago, they were a local company.

Most Thieves will case out your trailer/sled before they take it, they try to look for the easiest to take regardless what you have for locks, I try to back into and park my trailer tightly up against a snow bank after unloading leaving it hooked to the truck, also try putting a good trail cam in your back window of your truck it will show them casing out and trying to steal your trailer/sled, sometimes it gives you a heads up before they take your gear , GPS your trailer and sled, the police will be able to follow the signal the trailer and sleds path has taken, they work good and can be attached and hidden easily on your trailer or sled or anything else you have, just remember to change the batteries before each trip.

I agree with 20/80 its all about EASY / Quick so any lock - when NOT towing works for me- I paid most for a lock I had to cut off after towing and Ill tell you a cut off wheel makes quick work of even a good lock. I mean < 15 seconds. After that I just buy cheap locks knowing if they come prepared its minimal deterrent

I just had to cut off my Reese grey one that I mentioned above. The cheesy lock failed to unlock. A battery operated angle grinder made quick work of it (~1 minute).

Had a buddy have his clam shell trailer stolen on a trip and he had all the good lock preventions just not thinking ahead and parked in a bad spot, he also just purchased a GPS tracker and installed it hiddenly to his trailer to see how it would work, just seeing if it was a gimmick or not, followed the track on his phone right to a warehouse, the app notified him that his trailer was moving while he was out on the trail, there were other stolen trailers and sleds and atv's in the warehouse, money well spent!

Back