• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Long track skid/suspension options?

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
My phazer currently has a 121" rear skid out of a Polaris IQ 440. I'm looking to turn this machine into a full mountain sled with long track and boost.

Since I would have to replace the skid anyways, what are my options? A mtx skid with setback and 151" track cut down? It would seem timbersled is no longer making snowmobile suspensions, and ezride is a bit too much $$$ for my tastes.

Are there any other options out there?

My phazer currently has a 121" rear skid out of a Polaris IQ 440. I'm looking to turn this machine into a full mountain sled with long track and boost.

Since I would have to replace the skid anyways, what are my options? A mtx skid with setback and 151" track cut down? It would seem timbersled is no longer making snowmobile suspensions, and ezride is a bit too much $$$ for my tastes.

Are there any other options out there?

I've done what you are thinking about. 142,5 hp with modified MCX turbo kit. No lagging what so ever. Head shim. 0,9 boost. Runs perfect and no problems besides melted my poorly welded exhaust. Changed to original and it holds up fine. 162" Power Claw (for Artic). Done on tight budget. Made my own extensions for the rails and set back skid about 2" (if I remember correctly?). Would have been easier (and cleaner result), but not as fun, to just buy longer rails. If I were in your position I would've bought longer Polaris rails and set back the skid to give it better angle.
d9fb777ef9d3f9356970f8442fc71963.jpg
183fa98f601d944257f338e5a9a1a458.jpg

Building (in Swedish, but lots of pictures) Phazer MTX "Tillräckligt bra" Turbo:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ile.se/showpost.php?p=564143&share_pid=564143

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Your sled is sick!

If I were in your position I would've bought longer Polaris rails and set back the skid to give it better angle.

The issue with that is I do not know which rails, if any, would work. The IQ 440s were basically a race-only machine. I tried asking if any other rails would work, out of an RMK for example, on a polaris forum and got zero response

EDIT: these skids are full race skids designed for snox/cross-country racing. They are very beefy and stout. They are amazing for hard trail riding and ditch banging, but not optimal for off-trail playing in the deep stuff. I would be better off selling it to someone looking to upgrade their trail phazer and getting something completely different

Last edited:
Your sled is sick!

The issue with that is I do not know which rails, if any, would work. The IQ 440s were basically a race-only machine. I tried asking if any other rails would work, out of an RMK for example, on a polaris forum and got zero response

EDIT: these skids are full race skids designed for snox/cross-country racing. They are very beefy and stout. They are amazing for hard trail riding and ditch banging, but not optimal for off-trail playing in the deep stuff. I would be better off selling it to someone looking to upgrade their trail phazer and getting something completely different

Another (cheap) way to go is to use a skid from a Nytro mountain. If you do a setback I guess you can use whatever skid that is long enough, you just have to make sure that the new rear mountings that you have to do is in the right position.

I thought it was only the rails from nytro/apex that worked?

I ran a pro x 440 skid set back in my warrior with extensions. Worked great.

Last edited:
If I were in your situation and looking to get into this project, I would try to determine what length of track you want to run first. You mentioned a 151, which is definitely an option, though it seems that they are not as readily available (used), at least not that I've noticed. Once you know what track length you want (or have an idea) then you'd be able to better determine what skid you can run and what (if any) extensions or setback you would need to do. Personally, I would look for a skid from a '08-'16 Arctic Cat M8/M800/M8000. I don't have the actual weight of this skid in front of me at the moment, but it is a fair amount lighter than the stock Phazer MTX or Nytro skids, simply because it doesn't use torsion springs.

Ironically, the 153 M8 skid is almost the exact same overall length as the stock Phazer MTX 144 skid, which tells me that Arctic Cat's mounting of this skid to work with the 153 track is set back a few inches farther than Yamaha did on the Phazer MTX, giving the front of the track a shallower approach angle. I'm not sure what kind of budget you're looking to stay within, but if you find another 2.52 pitch track, then you could potentially use the existing drivers you already have for the 121. There are a lot of Polaris 155 x 2.4 'takeoff' tracks that come up for sale on some of the other sled forums, but then you'd be looking at swapping to 2.86 pitch drivers as well.

You may also have a good chance of finding a Polaris 159 x 2.125 track (also a 2.52 pitch), which probably sounds rather long, but you could take up some of that length with 10-tooth drivers and a large wheel kit for the rear axle. Using 10-tooth 2.52 pitch drivers would also give you a gradually shallower approach angle, especially coupled with the setback necessary to use the 159 track. The larger drivers and rear wheels would also slightly decrease rolling resistance due to the track not having to be wrapped so 'tightly' around the drivers/wheels, but you'd probably want to gear down to help offset any additional drag on the drivetrain.

If it helps any, here is a link to a track fitment chart from Tracksusa.com, which shows track lengths, widths, lug height, pitch, and what sleds they initially came on. 2017 Track Fitment Chart

What [emoji1369]he said. But bigger drivers is a problem on Phazer. At least if you want bigger luggs. The cooler is in the same spot making it pretty tight. I've would go for 162" track, the lightest (budget) skid I could find (The artic tip above is a good choice). Head shim and supercharger.

How am I going to figure out how much setback/drop down I will need if I just pick up some random skid?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah, see that is going to be the issue. Any skid I find probably wont allow me to do any measurements.

Phazer MTX 144" skid with down 1", back 3.5" = 151" for ~$350 + track
Phazer MTX 144" skid with down 1", back 3.5" and 4" rail extensions = 159" for ~$500 + track

Arctic Cat M8 153" skid with ?, ?, and ? = ??? for ~$450 + track

I'm not exactly in love with the stock phazer skid, and having an Arctic Cat skid would be great if the wheels match up with my viper skid so I could steal parts off one or the other if needed.

Yeah, see that is going to be the issue. Any skid I find probably wont allow me to do any measurements.

Phazer MTX 144" skid with down 1", back 3.5" = 151" for ~$350 + track
Phazer MTX 144" skid with down 1", back 3.5" and 4" rail extensions = 159" for ~$500 + track

Arctic Cat M8 153" skid with ?, ?, and ? = ??? for ~$450 + track

I'm not exactly in love with the stock phazer skid, and having an Arctic Cat skid would be great if the wheels match up with my viper skid so I could steal parts off one or the other if needed.

Go to a dealership and take measures? I'd go for M8. Or some other more lightweight 153". Do a small setback and bigger wheels. Run 162". I can recommend Power Claw.
Skid width ought to be the same? Or an easy peasy fix.

Post pictures!

I'll take a look at my notes on the Arctic Cat skid tonight & see if I can give you some dimensions, or just measure the skid itself. I have one that I will be swapping into my Phazer...someday. Regarding the width of the skid, the Arctic Cat skid will need to be narrowed a bit if i remember correctly, but this should be very simple. I'll try to take a picture of it to show what I'm talking about, then it should make sense.

Back