• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Longest Lasting Rollers

Normal Yamaha tuning fork r and d and this clutch would never have been put on a production sled.

My thought is if your not running the sled hard turn your tune down to a lower boost. If your just cruising down the trail at part throttle with 16 psi of boost the rollers are getting hammered from the pulses. Turn the tune down to 240 tune and then boost is at about 9 psi and not rattling the clutch so hard from the pulses.
If it's a low traffic day and I go out for a fast hard rip I crank up the tune and give er loading the motor so it's not rattling so hard.

When you are cruising, it doesn't matter what the boost is. A lower tune will make zero difference on the longevity of anything. Bottom line is, the little rollers don't seem to work. With proper clutch setups, great roller, belt and clutch life can be achieved, even with high HP

When you are cruising, it doesn't matter what the boost is. A lower tune will make zero difference on the longevity of anything. Bottom line is, the little rollers don't seem to work. With proper clutch setups, great roller, belt and clutch life can be achieved, even with high HP

While I agree with you that turning the power down shouldn't help, it actually really does help as the boost and power pulses are less in the midrange on the lower tunes and rattle the clutch less, thereby making life easier on the belt and rollers. When I was running my winder clutch it was obvious trying to run on the big tunes the rollers would get eaten up all the time in the big tunes much easier, even when not changing weight in the arms. Lower power tunes make for less wear and tear on the belt and rollers.

IMO the side play on the Winder primary rollers are what is eating the rollers so wicked bad, along with the added pressure of the rollers and arms being 3mm further from the centerline of the clutch. Since I have gone to the old RX-1 primary, my belt and roller issues are now behind me, and I couldn't be happier that they are!

I put 200 miles on my Winder primary this season and started to eat the rollers out already and corded 1 XS825 belt, my RX-1 primary has 1300 miles on it and no roller wear, and no belt blowing or cording with it, even using the 8JP! Performance improved when going to the RX primary along with belt and roller issues taken care of. Not to say every Winder primary is junk and binding, but mine was along with my good friends. We both solved the roller and belt issues by going to the older primary. If I'm not mistaken lakercr found the same with fixing the roller life going to the older primary, maybe he will chime in.

So some can use the Winder primary with success, other have zero success like me, my life was miserable when I had the Winder primary on and tried to run the big tunes. I really love me sled now with the XS825 or even the 8JP now that I have the old RX primary on it.

While I agree with you that turning the power down shouldn't help, it actually really does help as the boost and power pulses are less in the midrange on the lower tunes and rattle the clutch less, thereby making life easier on the belt and rollers. When I was running my winder clutch it was obvious trying to run on the big tunes the rollers would get eaten up all the time in the big tunes much easier, even when not changing weight in the arms. Lower power tunes make for less wear and tear on the belt and rollers.

IMO the side play on the Winder primary rollers are what is eating the rollers so wicked bad, along with the added pressure of the rollers and arms being 3mm further from the centerline of the clutch. Since I have gone to the old RX-1 primary, my belt and roller issues are now behind me, and I couldn't be happier that they are!

I put 200 miles on my Winder primary this season and started to eat the rollers out already and corded 1 XS825 belt, my RX-1 primary has 1300 miles on it and no roller wear, and no belt blowing or cording with it, even using the 8JP! Performance improved when going to the RX primary along with belt and roller issues taken care of. Not to say every Winder primary is junk and binding, but mine was along with my good friends. We both solved the roller and belt issues by going to the older primary. If I'm not mistaken lakercr found the same with fixing the roller life going to the older primary, maybe he will chime in.

So some can use the Winder primary with success, other have zero success like me, my life was miserable when I had the Winder primary on and tried to run the big tunes. I really love me sled now with the XS825 or even the 8JP now that I have the old RX primary on it.

What rollers did too use on the winder clutches and which rollers did you use on the rx-1 clutch?
The first year on my sidewinder, I blew a belt every 500km even driving Easy. It ate rollers. Etc. I thought it was junk too. Now with a proper setup, I can get 10000kms to a set of rollers, I have 2800kms on an xs-825 and I have been driving it as hard as possible And in every conditions possible. If the rx-1 clutch works for you, great, but I’m getting better belt life than my turbo Nytro’s and buddies turbo apex’s got. My dilemma now is do I change the belt because it doesn’t owe me anything, but I kind of want to see how long it will go.

What rollers did too use on the winder clutches and which rollers did you use on the rx-1 clutch?
The first year on my sidewinder, I blew a belt every 500km even driving Easy. It ate rollers. Etc. I thought it was junk too. Now with a proper setup, I can get 10000kms to a set of rollers, I have 2800kms on an xs-825 and I have been driving it as hard as possible And in every conditions possible. If the rx-1 clutch works for you, great, but I’m getting better belt life than my turbo Nytro’s and buddies turbo apex’s got. My dilemma now is do I change the belt because it doesn’t owe me anything, but I kind of want to see how long it will go.

What is your exact clutch setup?

I used stock 14.5mm rollers and Thunder Products 14.8 primary rollers in the Winder primary, neither would last as I'd like to see, in fact the TP roller bushings are very worn in just 200 miles and outside of rollers look terrible, just like the stockers would.

I have stock 15 MM rollers in the RX-1 primary.

One thing is sure, the Winder is very fussy on setups and making the belt last on high power tunes.

With running the 15.5mm rollers I noticed I dont get into the adjustable tip weight area until I'm over 100mph.
Is that your finding also?
Maybe with the weights not going out as far it helps the rollers.

ya. I am not sure the reasoning why the larger rollers last, but they do. I was running some tip weight last season with the 8jp, but had to take it out when I switched to the xs825. I don’t really like the tip weight in the tight trails I ride. Plus I find the bigger rollers and no tip weight makes the sled faster in most trail conditions. With the little rollers and tip weight, you get track spin and the clutches over shift.

For me the larger roller do not last longer. I ran the Sidewinder primary for 5000km with little roller bushing wear using duralon bushings. It was acceptable, around 1500km/ bushing set. Now, it isn't anymore. It wore roller bushing in 50km. 14.5, 15 or 15.5mm, it dosen't matter.
So I did like some and now using the old primary with succes. In my case it dosen't perform better, but is for sure quiter and it is reliable. No more bushing wear.
The problem with roller bushing wear for sure is related to vibration frequency, and it seem like that the more the clutch is worn, the worst it become. I will have the Winder clutch rebuild this summer and use it back next year as this will be my race clutch. Hope bushings will live longer.

The most durable for me were Gforces ! 15mm full width...They use the smaller washer each side of the roller from the old clutch. Some sort of oilite bushing. I also had lots of success whit 15,5 std roller whit CUSTOM torlon xxx bushing

Call them

Byam,
I just ordered a set of 15mm. How much speed will I gain with these? 10-15 mph?? Lol

Last edited:
Well, I just received my rollers from Gforce and they look well built. As Byam stated, they are wider and have brass oil lite bushing vs plastic. We shall see how they last!!

Attachments

• 20200408_161408.jpg
    20200408_161408.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200408_152143.jpg
    20200408_152143.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Well, I just received my rollers from Gforce and they look well built. As Byam stated, they are wider and have brass oil lite bushing vs plastic. We shall see how they last!!
Those look stout Fleece!!

I only see 16mm rollers on their website.

Back