• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at purchasing a Sidewinder, need opinions and advice!

RxThunder

Expert
I currently ride an 06 Apex GT studded with a clutch kit, I have been looking to upgrade to something easier to stand on for a tall guy and while I love the Apex, it’s starting to get boring. I’ve ridden a few vipers and liked them except for the lack of power and smooth acceleration as compared to an Apex. I’m currently looking at a 2019 SW SRX and a 2018 SW L-TX SE. I’m leaning towards the L-TX because of price, I’m a mostly trail rider and like to line up on the lakes from time to time. Is this sled worth it? What are some issues with them? I’ve been reading a lot about belts blowing, is that still a problem? Will I be happy with the sled in stock form? Thanks in advance for the input!

I'm also coming off a 06 apex attak and just bought a 19 srx..
Where did you find a srx? They were spring order only, someone back out on 1 maybe

I went from a 06 Apex to a LTX SE. Love the sled, rode the Apex for a day last year and could not wait to get off of it.
The Winder will spoil you.

I rode a sno-checked 06 Attak until i ordered a 2017 sno-checked Winder. I honestly don't know how i did it on the Apex for all those years! The Apex is barbaric compared to the Winder.

Don't hesitate!

Going from an Apex to a Winder is a HUGE change. Its not just about the power, its a huge advancement in rider position. When I just sit on an Apex again, it seems like its 100 yrs old. I loved my Apex alot, but have been on a rider forward style sled now since 2012, and once you get onto this style, you wont want to ever go back.

Power wise, stock is a nice smooth power. I dont think it will hit as hard(stock) initially as the Apex does, but it starts to pull nice and hard and tops out over an Apex. But with a very simple flash you can have anywhere from mild to wild power. Reliable power too.

Certain things need to be done, and modded IMO to make these more bulletproof(they are cats after all) but nothing too difficult.

Dan

Going from an Apex to a Winder is a HUGE change. Its not just about the power, its a huge advancement in rider position. When I just sit on an Apex again, it seems like its 100 yrs old. I loved my Apex alot, but have been on a rider forward style sled now since 2012, and once you get onto this style, you wont want to ever go back.

Power wise, stock is a nice smooth power. I dont think it will hit as hard(stock) initially as the Apex does, but it starts to pull nice and hard and tops out over an Apex. But with a very simple flash you can have anywhere from mild to wild power. Reliable power too.

Certain things need to be done, and modded IMO to make these more bulletproof(they are cats after all) but nothing too difficult.

Dan

What are those certain things? have you had belt issues? I’ve been wanting to go rider forward as I am tall and like to stand in the rough stuff, especially since I herniated a disc a couple years ago. What you describe sounds like when I went from an 03 RX1 to the Apex. I loved the RX1 until the Apex, after that I don’t even like to look at the RX1’s anymore. The only thing I know for sure I’d want to do right away is stud it.

What are those certain things? have you had belt issues? I’ve been wanting to go rider forward as I am tall and like to stand in the rough stuff, especially since I herniated a disc a couple years ago. What you describe sounds like when I went from an 03 RX1 to the Apex. I loved the RX1 until the Apex, after that I don’t even like to look at the RX1’s anymore. The only thing I know for sure I’d want to do right away is stud it.
Rx1 to Apex is only a slight change....this will be alot better for sure. Stand up so easy, ride on not back like a couch. back problems are gone with this style. Its more like sitting on an ATV I would say.

Well the belt problems here are not hard to find. If you really dive into it, you will find many of the belt issues are guys with tunes, and gearing....and far less with stockers.

I think if you run it stock, belt life is very acceptable. I dont think any sleds will get the belt life my Apex used to, but for 200hp(stock) I think its acceptable. If you plan to wick up the power, I would do more reading first.

Dan

Suspension on the srx will be bettter , but the track on the ltx will be better all round
Only thing you will miss of the Apex is the throttle response, nothing beats it . If the ltx doesn't have heated seat get it put on .

For me the one item that is a must to upgrade on these sleds is the skis. You would think after using tuners on this chassis since 2015 and it being the number 1 complaint year after year Yamaha would have done something about it. They certainly are stubborn. Plenty of options out there, just need to pick what suits your needs/budget. Curve, C&A, Mohawks, Pilots, heck even the Cat Skis are an upgrade over the tuners. Just need to pick what’s right for your snow and riding style. Pilots seem to be a good low cost option for some, I prefer a more aggressive single keel like the C&A and Curve for the trails I run into.

If you do any off trail at all I'd be looking at a leftover Cat 9000 Cross Country. They have the higher more comfortable seat for a tall guy and IMO the best looking turbo of them all out there, plus the Cats can be had much cheaper. Worst case if you don't want it geared that low and higher 1.75" lug track, just trim the track down and gear it up a bit. Most cost effective way of getting into a turbo sled, also no rattling drive clutch noise or poor factory skis.

I came off of an 07 Attak GT with lots of mods, loved the sled. I miss the instant pull of the 4 cyl. when you wack the throttle but the turbo makes up for it on boost. Ditch the tuner ski's at once,I put the pilot 5.7's on as per Rocker Dan's post. I have a riser and the WRP seat on my Attak so the seating positions are close. Coming off the nice smooth 4cyl. the one thing I absolutely hate about the Sidewinder is the clutch rattle! If it were me I'd go with the LTX for the price and taller track. If your not brand loyal,I second KnappAttack's comment on the 9000 CC Cat! Good luck in your choice.

IMO the effort required to steer a winder is way too high. Then wait until you have to service a winder. Just simply changing the oil is a huge pain with an inaccessible drain plug on the tank then having to rig up some sort of chute to direct the oil out of the sled. Next up is the nightmare of changing the chaincase oil. You have to tear the sled half apart and split the case. It's just ridiculous. I'll stick with my power steering Apex, thanks. Helping my buddy with his winder is enough.

Back