• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a non bias comparison...

When did I say I was a Ditch Banger? Read my OP. I ride groomed trails 99% of the time.
Yeah, they get beat up sometime, but I don't think that makes me a ditch banger?

The only difference I can see between the TNT and the GSX is the front shock package. So how is the TNT more like a Viper?

Not trying to start a fight here gang, just looking for open and honest opinions.

I am only talking about level of options. gsx le is comparable to the arctic cat ltx. The gsx se is comparable to yamahas single touring sled. What ever that might be. And I might have the se or le switched around.

The viper ltx se to me is comparable to the renegade X package. There is no, zero argument about the 1200 motor being equal to the 1000 Yamaha triple. Both are great.

The standard viper ltx has the softest ride of the viper line. And like Tim said. That is more of a comparisson to the adrenaline or TNT model of renegade. Where the gsx has a lot of added features.

For the style you ride and the trails you mentioned. It comes down to what ergos you like more. The gsx will ride nicer then then any model viper.

For groomed trail guy the adrenaline is everything you need plus some. The same goes for the viper ltx. For guys that big bump and jump. The X package or ltx-se. For the fat daddy cruiser deluxe guys you can't beat the gsx. My 300 lb 63 year old father runs a gsx se and he loves it. Heck I love it once it gets whooped out and bumpy. Hahahaha. Plus that heated seat is very nice on those 0 and colder nights.

aja636 said:
I own a 2010 ski Doo 1200 renegade, 2013 ski Doo 1200 renegade that's supercharged and a 2014 viper ltx-se

Wind protection hands down goes to ski Doo.

After running both sleds this is my end result.

For running local trails and hard riding the Yamaha for me, but if the trail get whooped out or planning on a 300mile day. Ski Doo for me.

That might change once I put full hygear suspension package on and figure out how to make the wind stop hitting me in the crotch on the Yamaha.

You can't go wrong with either sled. If I were to sell them all and lock in on 1 sled to do everything with......the Yamaha viper ltx with a better shock/ski package. I like the Yamaha motor better for my riding style the ergos are better for me and the looks of the ski is up to the times where the Doo is looking dated.
Wind in the crotch? From where? Are you running the OE low flyscreen or something? Just curious...

Yes sled still has that black stock flyscreen thong of a windshield. But I feel the wind coming around headlight along those side panel channels. Right into the south region. Not bad till it got 0-5 degrees. Then it woke me up a bit. Hahahaha

monte1214 said:
When did I say I was a Ditch Banger? Read my OP. I ride groomed trails 99% of the time.
Yeah, they get beat up sometime, but I don't think that makes me a ditch banger?

The only difference I can see between the TNT and the GSX is the front shock package. So how is the TNT more like a Viper?

Not trying to start a fight here gang, just looking for open and honest opinions.

I never said YOU were a ditch banger, I just said that the GSX wasn't really made for that kind of riding. I know your not starting anything, and neither am I. But the GSX is not really in the same class. So the Viper LTX DX or delux model is comparable with the TNT, the Viper does not offer as much as the GSX. Your always on the trail and want the most comfort the doo GSX would probably be your best bet.
No need to get mad, even though this is your post believe it or not there might be other people interested in the same thing and other people read this and wonder the same things! That's what's great about this site!

Geez, more insults at the 900 ACE!!! (lol)
(or insults at ACE owners)

I have owned a ProCross. I have driven the Cat version of the Yamaha Viper.

The dealers and Yamaha said the Viper would be a sell out for 2014! It would have Yamaha first year quality! It would have great resale value! It would be a high performance ditch banging trail sled! It would have problems quickly addressed.

Sounds like lines I gave girls back in college!

mikerider said:
Geez, more insults at the 900 ACE!!! (lol)
(or insults at ACE owners)

I have owned a ProCross. I have driven the Cat version of the Yamaha Viper.

The dealers and Yamaha said the Viper would be a sell out for 2014! It would have Yamaha first year quality! It would have great resale value! It would be a high performance ditch banging trail sled! It would have problems quickly addressed.

Sounds like lines I gave girls back in college!

Just messing with ya with the ace...lol.... :-o

If you have the 900 ace sled than right on, I'm sure it's a great sled for what you use it for. Just not in the same category of the Viper... ;)!

OK Just my opinion here. I have an 07 Apex GT. Went to a test day and rode a GSX 1200 and a GSX 900 Ace, then drove a Viper LTX-DX and an Apex SE. I'm 6' about 250ish. The Apex would be my first choice, then the Viper a close 2nd. I thought the Yamaha's actually were much easier to ride and held the trails better. Power steering on the ape was nice and took out a lot of the trail chatter, viper seemed like it had power steering. Trails were a little beat up with all the demo rides but both the doo's seems squirrely to me and didn't hold the loose trails well. Loved the gauges on the viper, they tell you more than you want to know. Now if they just added a GPS like Polaris........

mikerider said:
All in fun Tim.
We finally agree! Viper not in the same class as the ACE 900.

mike

Lol....right on, I watched the video of the 900 ace turbo, and I asked myself WHY? :drink:

Oh well I turboed my Viper, some say the same thing!

And yes ALL IN FUN!!!!! :Rockon:

Had the opportunity to ride a 2011, 1200 ski doo this past winter on two occasions when I switched sleds with their owners. Both were smooth in suspension and power but difficult to say which was quicker the Viper or Doo, and as long as they will do 90 MPH I really don't care. I ride mostly trails 85+% and the off trail I ride is mostly connector non-groomed shortcuts which I do not consider ditch banging.

I own 2 Vipers, one LTX with the spring suspension, and one LTX SE with the with the Fox Floats. I have between 700 & 800 miles on each Viper. For our type of riding the base LTX with springs is far superior to the SE and I am in process of updating the SE with Hygear, Axis Pro shocks. The front shocks are here now and the rear will be pulled as soon as I get my neck fixed.

With my limited exposure to the 1200 skidoo I must say that the 1200 is a good motor and I believe that you may squeeze a few more MPH out of the Doo. However, I believe that the Viper in either configuration would be a faster accelerating machine than the 1200 Doo.

The 1200 Ski Doo riders felt that the Viper felt lighter and steer easier than their sled. I did not feel there was a large difference in steering effort but agreed that they felt heavier.

I know the Doo is lighter than the Viper so the only thing I could attribute that feeling to was the riding position of the Viper vs the 1200 Doo. I have 6" Stud Boy dual runner carbides on the front and 96 1.375 studs on the rear of both sleds, neither Doo was studded and I don't know what kind or size carbide they had on the front.

Hope this helps.

Tim, glad we got to connect. Great conversation!

You are invited anytime to join the 900 ACE crew on the ACE forums in DooTalk. Stop by for a coffee. Not much talk about problems OR waiting for reflashes (we got ours before the snow fell!!!) OR back ordered parts, etc.
Lots of talk about happiness, people trying the 900 and being astonished, and more and more people by the day joining the club. Its tough for people as they have to line up for '15 ACES as the '14 is pretty much a sell out.
Tim, I would be happy to make you an esteemed guest of the 900 club, or help to make you an esteemed member. Membership to the ACE club means never having to say you made a mistake.
mike

The Viper. I have 850 miles on my LTX SE. I love it. Have not owned a Skidoo in forty years. Guess I am biased. This Viper is the best handling ditch banger Yamaha has offered. This chassis works. I am not a real fan of the fox airs. Been thinking about coil overs for next season. I put on a set of curves with 6" of carbide and the sled is on a rails. The new deep curve tuner ski on the 2015s should be a big improvement over the cat ski. :yam:

I put 1500 miles on my Viper this year and loved every minute of it. I certainly don't think it was a mistake. Sure there's room for a little improvement, but I have not had any issues. It's been a great trail sled in my opinion.

mikerider said:
Tim, glad we got to connect. Great conversation!

You are invited anytime to join the 900 ACE crew on the ACE forums in DooTalk. Stop by for a coffee. Not much talk about problems OR waiting for reflashes (we got ours before the snow fell!!!) OR back ordered parts, etc.
Lots of talk about happiness, people trying the 900 and being astonished, and more and more people by the day joining the club. Its tough for people as they have to line up for '15 ACES as the '14 is pretty much a sell out.
Tim, I would be happy to make you an esteemed guest of the 900 club, or help to make you an esteemed member. Membership to the ACE club means never having to say you made a mistake.
mike

Well right on I'm on board, just buy me one and I'll ride it! Whether it's fast or slow,
You buy it I'll ride it! Just like drinking, I'll drink anything for free :drink:

Back