• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for a sled that fits me

pro116

Lifetime Member
This is the first season in over 25 years I haven’t owned a sled. I use to be a hardcore sledder drag racing,mountain riding,trail and off trail and there was some seasons I owned 5 sleds.
I got into ice racing dirt bikes this year which is a blast but really miss riding and hanging out with the Ty crew. I started going on the Ty rides in 2005.
I have had turbo drag sleds trail and super charged mountain sleds to many trail sleds and all brands. I hated my apex mountains for the up riding as they would wear you out.

I’m looking between viper xtx, nytro xtx. I don’t care about the lakes just looking for a trail/off trail sled. I’m afraid I would be unhappy with the sidewinder weight of trail since my last sleds where a hopped up switchback assault and a pro rmk.

Anyone owned all 3 sidwinder/viper/nytro can you give me your feed back. Thank You

I have never ridden a Nytro, but I currently own a Viper XTX and a Sidewinder LTX. At my age, I will never be a real off-trail rider, but I do love my Viper playing in the fields and meadows. I put a pair of Mohawks on it, and have yet to bury it, even in 2-3' of powder. I bought the Sidewinder this year, and almost bought the XTX version, but went with the LTX because I wanted a high mileage trail sled. I could not be happier. Moving the Sidewinder around in the garage or trailer, it is noticeably heavier than my Viper XTX, but once you get on the sled, it feels weightless on the trail, and the power is intoxicating!

This is the first season in over 25 years I haven’t owned a sled. I use to be a hardcore sledder drag racing,mountain riding,trail and off trail and there was some seasons I owned 5 sleds.
I got into ice racing dirt bikes this year which is a blast but really miss riding and hanging out with the Ty crew. I started going on the Ty rides in 2005.
I have had turbo drag sleds trail and super charged mountain sleds to many trail sleds and all brands. I hated my apex mountains for the up riding as they would wear you out.

I’m looking between viper xtx, nytro xtx. I don’t care about the lakes just looking for a trail/off trail sled. I’m afraid I would be unhappy with the sidewinder weight of trail since my last sleds where a hopped up switchback assault and a pro rmk.

Anyone owned all 3 sidwinder/viper/nytro can you give me your feed back. Thank You

With all the racing you have done and the boosted sleds you have had, a boosted Viper XTX or BTX would be your sled. I think a well set up SW XTX or BTX would still be what you want and its so easy to crank it up with safe pump gas power.

The last sled I bought new was a 99 SX 500 then got out of snowmobiling this year I bought a 2001 SXR 700 and I like it better than many of the new ones I tried but my next new sled will be another Yamaha and I hope they build this year 125-135 horsepower doesn’t matter if it’s a 2 or 4 stroke with a 137 inch track

Had a Viper ltx and XTX and liked them both for different reasons. Wanted to try the new Cat/Yamaha as am a fan of both, found the Ltx was alright but valved "a little stiff" for me. Got a 15 XTX and really liked it as it has a proper sized track for a snowmobile as I am about 6'6 and 230ish. Didn't have real good snow years when I had the XtX but liked everything about it except for top end a little lacking.
Have a 13 Nytro XTX for a project sled but haven't rode it a lot, needs more front end and has a little better grunt than the Viper .
When I heard about Winder coming out was on the fence until an old acquaintance said, "everyone should own a turbo sled once". He was right! There is no going back! This is the sled I have been waiting for, you can idle down a trail or around at below walking pace no problem and then hit the trail or open space/powder and it has the power you never knew you needed. As for off trail it handles itself quite well being an XTX with 1.6. I am willing to give up real high speed twisty's for the trade off in off trail and general trail cruising.

once you install a turbo on the viper (and you know you will) you are going to be close to the weight of the sidewinder. they are virtually the same sled so just go sidewinder and turn up the boost if you need more power

owned a nytro xtx, viper mtx and sidewinder btx. Still have the viper and the sidewinder. Sidewinder by far the best thrill to ride. viper is a 16 which has the narrow front end and is very easy to pull over. The nytro was cold to ride but never gave me any trouble. Ice build up was a concern with the nytro. Ride all cross country. No trails

I've owned a nytro xtx, viper xtx, and my riding buddy has a sidewinder xtx, which I've ridden a fair amount. If you're Polaris' were 800's the nytro and viper without turbo will probably be disappointing as far as hard hitting power. Call me crazy but I actually loved the rear skid on the nytro xtx when the trail was rough, but unless you do some mods to the front end it's a workout turning on the tight twisties especially compared to the procross chasis. Off trail the nytro was not nearly as playful as the viper or sidewinder xtx. I rode my viper for 3 seasons before putting a hurricane turbo on, which instantly peaked the fun factor. If you're used to 800 2 stroke N/A power you'll love the 4 stroke turbo. It feels like it won't ever stop pulling where the 800's hit hard initially they fall off quick compared to the turbo. My turboed viper is actually snappier on the trail than my buddies sidewinder but he is completely stock and I've done quite a bit of fine tuning clutches, otherwise they feel very similar to me. If you do a lot off trail I would seriously consider the btx. I'm pleased with the xtx off trail but if I rode all the time off trail I would go btx. Also really impressed with the yamaha single keel mountain ski on buddies sidewinder both for flotation but especially how it carves on loose snow. I think either a turboed viper or sidewinder would be the ticket.

I too owned and sold several nutros from shorties to xtx and sold them quickly. They were all very twitchy and hard on my arms. I have 2 viper xtx both with turbos one now is 400 ish hours and drag sled only the trail sled is 265 and a blast. I think my boosted vipers are faster than the winders and have won several sanctioned grag races against them. There is no noticeable weight difference and there are a few turbo xtx for sale at a lot less than you can build one for.

Back