• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for first 4 stroke sled - need help with models

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
So my wife has restricted my budget as my current snowmobile has not sold. I now have a budget of about $3500 max so with that said I will most likely end of with something around 2005 range? What I need to understand more is what is the difference between these sleds and what models/years I should stay away from: Ride quality is the most important and also needs to have electric start and reverse.

- Apex
- RX1
- Vector
- Venture
- Apex Attack

2006-209 Apex, 121", Attak/LTX 136" are fuel injected and with reasonable investment in shock revaluing can be made to ride very well. My recommendation would be a 136". Easily found in your price range.

depends on the mileage you are willing to settle for. might be able to get an 2011+ with higher miles in that price range but really, for solo riding, any apex/attack (06-10), rs vector or rx can be made to handle pretty well with some shock valveing and suspension set up.

if you are a long distance/ 2 up rider, the venture will be a better fit for you.

for ease of maintence, fuel injection is a good idea but if you not scared of carb cleaning, rx's and earlier rs sleds are fine.

if looking for a good trail ride, stay with the mono shock skids in 05 rx and 06-10 apex/attack. the 03-04 proactions in the rx and the rs sleds can be made to ride pretty dang good but are stiffer than the mono. if you like to jump/ride it hard, the apex rtx sleds are for you.

the biggest advantage to the 11+ sleds are the eps (power steering) but with your buget you would be looking at a higher milage sled that might need some bigger maintence items looked after.

What is going to be the difference between the Apex and a Vector other than the motor? I see a ton of vectors for sale and seem to be lower price than the Apex

The Apex was Yamaha's groom trail flagship with all the bells and whistles, the Vector is also a trail cruiser but toned down abit with lesser power and a more affordable option for guy's on a budget, still a great sled and very very reliable, better on fuel then the Apex, but by all means is a fast sled also, the newer Vectors will outrun the Vipers, you cannot go wrong buying a Vector that has been looked after.

What is going to be the difference between the Apex and a Vector other than the motor? I see a ton of vectors for sale and seem to be lower price than the Apex

Almost nothing other than motor in comparable models. Apex will weight a bit more. Apex motor is well worth the extra coin in my book. Still might be the sweetest mill ever put in a snowmobile.

Apex. They are going cheap now. Just pickedupa good condition 2006 with 4800 miles for only $1800. The guy didn't want to deal with storing it. I couldn't believe the price so I looked it over e extremely thoroughly. It was clean and right. Guess he really didn't want to deal with storage.

Apex. They are going cheap now. Just pickedupa good condition 2006 with 4800 miles for only $1800. The guy didn't want to deal with storing it. I couldn't believe the price so I looked it over e extremely thoroughly. It was clean and right. Guess he really didn't want to deal with storage.
Wow. Very nice price.

Why can't you sell your current sled?

Get a 2011 or newer Apex with the EPS. The price on these have dropped some and I've seen a few low mileage units at decent prices.

Forget EPS, pick up an '06 - '10 Apex and just add the mechanical power steering from Barn of Parts.

I have a really nice, low mileage, 2011 VECTOR LYX GT for $3500. Unit is very clean and well maintained. I can take more pictures and post here, or leave a message here with contact info.

Hank

Attachments

• 6F007976-45FB-4B35-B46E-E7A5776DA6B5.jpeg
    6F007976-45FB-4B35-B46E-E7A5776DA6B5.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 124
If speed is not an issue, a 12 vector is the the sled to buy, power steering and great fuel mileage, quieter motor. If you want speed, the 06-10 apexes are still as fast or faster than every other sled made, that is not a turbo. I am at 22,000 mles with zero engine issues. Runs perfect. Many times when you buy these now, many of the updates have already been done to them. Buy a 136 sled to start with as they are a better length for the power your trying to put down. If you can bump the price up a bit, the 11 and up apex in any length is a far better sled than the 06-10, stronger skids, better exhaust, smoother motor, power steering, stronger chain case and drive shaft. What ever you buy, find a WRp seat for it, it improves both. 11 and up apexes start in the 3500 range spring time price and go up from there.

I picked up a 09 Apex with 7000 miles on it for $2300. Sled is in very good condition but needed to exhaust donuts replaced. Went through the complete sled and changed all the oils and plugs, removed the rear suspension and replaced all the bogie wheel bearings and greased the unit up. Changed out the exhaust donuts and decided to replace the exhaust pipes when I had it apart. Sled should be all ready for next winter.

This is a pic the day I purchased the sled before I did any work to it

Attachments

• ski 1.jpg
    ski 1.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 114

Back