• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for next step from a z120

rb2001srx700

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2001 SRX 700
Hello guys,

looking for some input on a next size up for kids to ride. Here in NY kids need to be 10 years old and take a safety course in order to ride the trails. A little back ground for my son. He has been on snowmobiles since he was 3. He had his own 120 when he was 5-6. And he rides my SRX around the yard now. He's 8 now. We are looking at a newer 4 stroke phazer for him so he has room to grow into it and don't have to keep buying him sleds every other year. Even though he won't be able to ride in trails yet it will give him a year to get use to it around the yard. With there design he has the upper pegs he can use for his foot rest. And this would be something he can ride till he wants a different sled. He is very responsible on the sleds now. I know a lot of people say go with an older 340 or 250. From what I have read in (TY posts). Trying to find parts for them can be a challenge some times. What are some of your thoughts. Any issues with the phazer? Looking for over all input.

Last edited:

What you are thinking of doing is exactly what i'd do or did. Are you looking at a 4 stroke phazer?

when my kids were that small (approx 10 years ago) i bought a good used 1998 formula 380, even had electric start and a tether. Love those little 380's leafblowers, they run great and last forever with regular maintenance, plus they're a full size sled. They used it at home and then on the trails when they got there snowmobile license. I kept it until they were ready to move up to what they now have, which is my old 2001 SRX and a Vmax 700. i ended up selling the formula to my brother close to what i paid for it for his grandson. If you're worried about him going to fast then govern the throttle. i used a gear clamp under the throttle lever but you might be able to come up with something that works on the phazer.

JMO but those snow-scoots are a waste of money, especially at over 5 grand here in Canada

Good luck;)!

Yes we are looking at a 4 stroke phazer. I had a 380 formula s when I was 15. Loved that sled but out grew it to fast. The next year I spring ordered a Mxz 670. Great sled as well. We would like to just buy one sled and be done for now. That's why we are thinking the phazer would fit the bill. I have seen a few 07, 08's for sale not to bad in price.

And the snoscoot is a great idea. Just wish they had that when he was 6. He could have had a few more years on that. Just can't see spending 3900 US for something he will ride for another year or two.

Thanks for the reply

my kids used the formula until they were 15 or so, so i got at least 6 to 7 years out of it.

Phazer would work well for sure

Just an FYI, You might already be thinking about this but make sure you have communicators when your trail riding. They're a great piece of mind, especially when your leading to warn him of on coming traffic and when crossing busy roads.

Yes communicators are on the list of things to get before he rides the trail. And a must have IMO. Keeping him from learning to shut them off is another thing. Lol.

Just bought a 600 ACE for my kids, but the 500cc Phazer was on my short list too. Right now is a buyers market if you can swing it, lots of deals on new leftovers = lots of really good deals on used stuff!

We looked at a left over 600 ace. Great thing about them is you can program the chip to only do 25 and 45. Great option and not totally out of the question.

I started my son on a 91 Phazer 2 stroke. being fan cooled he can run it when ever there is an inch or two of snow and with all the thaws the past two seasons it has kept him ridding when I would not have let him ride something nice newer liquid cooled.
Best of all when he passes the safety course he can ride it on trail and it only cost me $300.00 to buy. I thought for sure he would get into a wreck or two so I didn't want a nice newer sled for that reason either. To my surprise he has hit nothing with it and he is clearing the driveway with the ramp he built. I am so proud!!:sled2:

Hello guys,

looking for some input on a next size up for kids to ride. Here in NY kids need to be 10 years old and take a safety course in order to ride the trails. A little back ground for my son. He has been on snowmobiles since he was 3. He had his own 120 when he was 5-6. And he rides my SRX around the yard now. He's 8 now. We are looking at a newer 4 stroke phazer for him so he has room to grow into it and don't have to keep buying him sleds every other year. Even though he won't be able to ride in trails yet it will give him a year to get use to it around the yard. With there design he has the upper pegs he can use for his foot rest. And this would be something he can ride till he wants a different sled. He is very responsible on the sleds now. I know a lot of people say go with an older 340 or 250. From what I have read in (TY posts). Trying to find parts for them can be a challenge some times. What are some of your thoughts. Any issues with the phazer? Looking for over all input.
My son (8 years old at the time) started on a modified 1999 Mini-Z that would run 24 mph, then moved him to a 1985 Bravo (12 years old then and could ride the tails legally) which would go 50 mph, then on to my old 1998 Vmax 500 when he turned 14 years old. Finally he then got his current 2003 RX1 ER LE at 17 now he is 25 years old. Now that he has a family he is out of it for a few years, "sigh" BTW his RX is for sale!

I started riding by myself about 7 years ago. I went from a 1996 vmax 600 as the first sled I ever rode, then went to a 97 vmax 600, then a 99 mountain max 600, all of these were great sleds for "me" especially sense they only topped out around 60-70 and it was the first three years I've been pioloting one by myself (Ive been riding in the front of my dad since I was 2-3), but my whole family have all moved up to a 4stroke's and Have passed them on (exept the 96 vmax, our friend has that one). but I can still remember the first time I've ever ridden by myself, around 8-9'years old and I've been hooked since!

LOL . me thinks your dad govern your sleds without telling you;). those 600 sleds can go faster the 60 or 70 mph. that's basically the way i did it with my 2 boys. It's all good just as long as they know to respect the sled and sounds like you did. ;)!

Yea he might of, but in all likelihood he didn't, but I didn't have the chops 3 years ago to faster than that though, I thought I was flyin going that fast, until my uncle got a rx1...because when you double the ponies then you know you're flyin :sled1:

500 phazers are bullet proof, good sled for a small framed rider or adult.
I had to rent one for a weekend in grand marais when my sh!t doo took a crap.
Held that little 500 to the bars all weekend long to keep up with my buddies 800s and it never missed a beat.
It also had 19,700 miles on it.
And still Ran like new.
I asked the rental place if that was the stock/ factory engine yet and they said it was. This is when i made the switch to yamaha 4strokes4life.

Last edited:

Back