• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking for opinions from '07 RTX/Attak GT Demo Riders

VX1R

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Ordered: 2025 SW LTX-LE Final Edition
Current Riders:
2018 SW LTX-LE
2002 SRX Custom
Rough Trail: 2023 Lynx Xterrian 900TurboR
Vintage Riders:
1980 Enticer 300 Twin
1986 Inviter
1998 Phazer Mt. Lite
1996 Phazer Mt. Lite Mod
Since it's summer time and some of us like to keep busy working on and talking about sleds 24/7, I thought that I'd ask for opinions from guys who've actually had a chance to test drive both a '07 RTX and a '07 Attak GT.

I'm looking at converting a '06 Apex GT using a 136" x 1.5" lug track along with using a ProActive skid with extensions and Ohlins shocks in the skid. Not sure about keeping the GYT clicker front shocks or switching them out for a set of Ohlins or Floats.

I like the advantages of the 136" track length over the stock RTX and would like to end up with a more aggressive bump riding package than a '07 Attak GT.

Anyone who's had some time on these sleds care to chime in with any thoughts on what I've got in mind?

I think you've got a good plan going there. I myself have an '06 Nytro, which has the ProActive CK suspension - which is the suspension that will come in the '07 Apex RTX.

I am right now in the process of stretching it to a 136" with a Ripsaw 1/5" lug, and can't wait to see how it performs.

Don, why don't you just switch skids and shocks with your wifes Attak plus use the Attak tunnel ext., even though I prefer the MPI or Hartman tunnel ext.
Should be easy for you and than you have an Attak GT.

Jim

gade-thrasher said:
I think you've got a good plan going there. I myself have an '06 Nytro, which has the ProActive CK suspension - which is the suspension that will come in the '07 Apex RTX.

I am right now in the process of stretching it to a 136" with a Ripsaw 1/5" lug, and can't wait to see how it performs.
It will be as slow as hell if you do that, especially with that track. It may go good from 0-50 and then die after that.

SledFreak said:
gade-thrasher said:

It will be as slow as hell if you do that, especially with that track. It may go good from 0-50 and then die after that.
Why??

novarossi said:
SledFreak said:
gade-thrasher said:

Why??
First you are turning your Nitro from a 121 to a 136, way more trackto turn. Second, that big of a lug will kill it's already slow top end. That length and size of track becomes a big windmill and you now have alot of weight to spin. Just change the track, I would not do both on that sled.

I was lucky enough to get some miles on an 07 RTX. It was the most fun sled I've ridden to date. Have also ridden 06 RTX, Apex GT and Nytro, but none of them could compare to the RTX 07. I think with a little more traction it would be something to considier. I think you are on the right path here.

nbsledder said:
Gade-thrasher......Free nytro from snotrax?Just curious , are you the lucky winner?

Yes I am!!

SledFreak said:
novarossi said:
SledFreak said:
gade-thrasher said:

Why??
First you are turning your Nitro from a 121 to a 136, way more trackto turn. Second, that big of a lug will kill it's already slow top end. That length and size of track becomes a big windmill and you now have alot of weight to spin. Just change the track, I would not do both on that sled.

In my experiency, long-tracks always work better in the big bumps and moguls. I also love doing a bit of off-trail riding. I really have no interest in top speed.

My riding style is to hammer through mogul section, ride some deep stuff, and stay off the rail-grades and lakes. Therefore, long-tracks fit my ride style. My last sled was also a long track. I'll never go back to a short track!

MrSled said:
The Attak GT that I rode was hands down better then my Apex GT :)!

I have read many posts/threads concerning the need for aggressive riders (Also Heavier guys) to revalve the Ohlins shock firmer and replacing the stock spring with a heavier one. My question is; Does anyone know if the 07 Attack GT is sprung/dampened the same as the 06 Apex GT? If it is would you recommend for a 220# aggressive rider to firm up the rear suspension prior to the snow season or try it the way they ship it first? I have limited riding time and wish not to spent a lot of that time on a ride I am not absolutly thrilled with. The trails I ride are a mix of long straight aways, tight twisties and some off trail.

Soldier'spapa said:
MrSled said:

I have read many posts/threads concerning the need for aggressive riders (Also Heavier guys) to revalve the Ohlins shock firmer and replacing the stock spring with a heavier one. My question is; Does anyone know if the 07 Attack GT is sprung/dampened the same as the 06 Apex GT? If it is would you recommend for a 220# aggressive rider to firm up the rear suspension prior to the snow season or try it the way they ship it first? I have limited riding time and wish not to spent a lot of that time on a ride I am not absolutly thrilled with. The trails I ride are a mix of long straight aways, tight twisties and some off trail.

Doug,
The '07 Attak GT has firmer compression valving along with a higher rate spring than the '06 Apex GT. I recently had Bruce Schrader from Pioneer Performance make the change on a '06 Apex GT Ohlins EC shock to the same specs as the '07 Attak GT. I'm using this shock on a 136" monoshock skid and wanted the shock to have the correct specs for the 136" skid. He checked with Ohlins USA and they gave him the valving and spring specs that I mentioned above. From some of the responses so far on this thread from guys that have been on the '07 Attak GT it sounds like they've been pretty happy with the new set up compared to the '06 Apex GT.
VX7R

VX7R said:
Soldier'spapa said:
MrSled said:

Doug,
The '07 Attak GT has firmer compression valving along with a higher rate spring than the '06 Apex GT. I recently had Bruce Schrader from Pioneer Performance make the change on a '06 Apex GT Ohlins EC shock to the same specs as the '07 Attak GT. He checked with Ohlins USA and they gave him the valving and spring specs that I mentioned above. From some of the responses so far on this thread from guys that have been on the '07 Attak GT it sounds like they've been pretty happy with the new set up compared to the '06 Apex GT.
VX7R
I think getting the 07 Spec for the Apex GT would be better because the Apex is a 121, and putting the 07 Attack setup could cause the Apex to be a rougher ride. I don't know all of the specs, but it may work on the Attack , but neccesarily on the Apex. The length of the 136 may absorb the stiffer spring and valve calibration, but it may not work for the shorter 121 skid. There are different angles of how the suspesion works through it's travel cycle just to say it will work.

Back