• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looks like yamaha/cat improved the driveshaft/bearing fit!!!!

yamamarc

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 zr9000 Ltd
just picked up a new driveshaft for a 2018 sidewinder and it looks like they improved the fit!!!!!
20200928_134748.jpg
20200928_134649.jpg

I wonder how many thousand shafts they warranted before they made a change?
When my warranty shaft went in last year it had .003" clearance between bearing and shaft. Also installed drive shaft wedge at that time.
If this is indeed is better quality control ill get mine replaced when I pull it apart to change my track this fall.

I hope not!!!! First one I see with a slight interference fit!!!!
Is it real?!
What will be the assy process be if indeed, there is now an interference fit?
Have to press it on OR maybe heat bearing ID some and QUICKLY slide it on shaft while in caliper housing? Got to get it in right place on first attempt. Otherwise you'd need to use puller to take it back off.

Is it real?!
What will be the assy process be if indeed, there is now an interference fit?
Have to press it on OR maybe heat bearing ID some and QUICKLY slide it on shaft while in caliper housing? Got to get it in right place on first attempt. Otherwise you'd need to use puller to take it back off.
yes i test fitted it and it wouldn't slide on!!
I put the shaft in the freezer for the morning
In the afternoon I heated the inner race with a heat gun and assemble it. Went together no problem

Could you get the caliper housing w bearing in it to the right place on shaft before it locked up?!
I hope for everyone's sake your new shaft is not a fluke! Maybe finally Cat/Yamaha listened and/or got tired of all the warranty claims, bad press, and multitudes of pis*%## off customers!

Could you get the caliper housing w bearing in it to the right place on shaft before it locked up?!
I hope for everyone's sake your new shaft is not a fluke! Maybe finally Cat/Yamaha listened and/or got tired of all the warranty claims, bad press, and multitudes of pis*%## off customers!
I did it wasn't bad i hustled bit because that thought was in my head also but it worked out.
I really hope they cleaned up the quality control on the shafts

So I just read a post from Allen Ulmer stating yamaha did address the driveshaft bearing issue but never address the top gear bushing issue!!
I beleive the shaft I received was indeed a new one

"I saw it as well, it was a Live Q&A. Top gear bushing has not been changed. Driveshaft clutch side bearing area has been addressed on 2021 models, but there's still old shafts in parts inventory that will have to get used up before you'll see the upgraded shaft coming through the parts side of things."

Are the driveshaft/bearing issue for the ones who rode MY2021 now behind? Didn't see much complaining this winter. Perhaps its to early still?

Back