• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose rivets under gas tank by exhaust???

Firecatdude

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 ZR 9000 LTD
So I was cleaning up the sled for summer storage and noticed that is appears the rivets under the gas tank by the exhaust are loose and possibly rubbing through the tunnel. I think these rivets would be for the heat exchanger. There is one on each side and they both look the same. Has anyone else found this? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpeg
    IMG_2332.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 98

Imho this motor chassis combination, especially tuned just tries to kill itself.

You really need to go through all the chassis and suspension bolts every spring and retorque everything as they will loosen/stretch.

I had both side spars, henid the tcl on pto side and what turbo is mounted to in exhaust have loose bolts. Going through the rest I found two chanincase to tunnel bolts (by sight glass) loose. Lower A-arms to chassis was loose

So I was cleaning up the sled for summer storage and noticed that is appears the rivets under the gas tank by the exhaust are loose and possibly rubbing through the tunnel. I think these rivets would be for the heat exchanger. There is one on each side and they both look the same. Has anyone else found this? Thanks
Yes common issue.. There are actually 4 rivets, you need to remove the tank and header to fix this issue.. has nothing to do with being tuned, after first season and 3100k mine were all loose and my sled was stock.

very common . Mine separated and some one on this site sold me a support plate and was added to the ton of the tunnel . pretty thin material there . Lots of work .

Search this site for fixes if the supplier of the plates is still here ?

Material is thin and ice buildup/ice being pulled onto track drive is really hard on those little rivets. Common to see most/all loose and pulled through outer alum skin. Need reinforcement plates. Absent that, add another 2-4 rivets spaced out in-between what is there. Use structural rivets, highest strength ones you can find.

And it is also a sticky posted at the top of sidewinder section sidewinder problems and fixes.

Material is thin and ice buildup/ice being pulled onto track drive is really hard on those little rivets. Common to see most/all loose and pulled through outer alum skin. Need reinforcement plates. Absent that, add another 2-4 rivets spaced out in-between what is there. Use structural rivets, highest strength ones you can find.
How will structural rivets benefit from not ripping through the tunnel. Yeah they will hold it tighter but that skin is thin.

The idea of adding more rivets will probably work better.

More rivets means more holes (more stress cracks). if its thin IMO you have to address that problem first and use a doubler plate if there room and then afix the doubler plate to that thin area with SS rivets or nylon nuts. That what I would try to do. Good Luck

"A doubler plate refers to a small piece of plate that is attached to a larger area, to provide strengthening in that location. In engineering, it is common to refer to it simply as “doubler.”

How will structural rivets benefit from not ripping through the tunnel. Yeah they will hold it tighter but that skin is thin.

The idea of adding more rivets will probably work better.
Just that I've seen most sleds w loose rivets. At least structural ones don't come loose. I add more to try increase overall strength. Not seen more rivets causing stress cracks. Best permanent fix is doubler plates but it's allot more work cuz to do it right, you need to remove track drive shaft with all that entails.

Back