• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose rivets under gas tank by exhaust???

I re-enforced a 2017 we had apart this winter. Added some strength to the front area where the tunnel gets pushed up causing the potential for the hose to tear.
Used all new rivets, the Japanese Yamaha rivets as the stock rivets on these sleds aren't very good.

I would use these as replacements. These are aerospace/military spec and are easily obtainable. I used have used these in the past and found them to be sturdy replacements for the cheap rivets found on sleds.

1682591743574.png

Steel cherry max rivets will rust.
Use aluminum cherry max button head rivets.
I would go with a 5 diameter and length one would have to grip the length. Most likely would end up with a 4 grip length.
When I did mine I used titanium hi locks fasteners and collars.

I would also buy these stravix rivets and use them.
Screenshot_20221004-191448_Photos.jpg

There are lots of rivets that are much better than what Cat uses. But, they cost more so Cat uses cheap ones that rust, fall out, get loose, break.
I like the structural rivets because they are readily available, they end up as a solid rivet, they stay tight, they're much stronger. Look at Cherry Q rivets or monobolt rivets.
I wonder how much Cat thinks they're saving on one sled for all the trouble the crap they use causes.

I purchased 2 packages of the stravex I listed above. Thought I was getting 30 rivets.
I actually bought 300 of them for about $60.
They are just like the Yamaha rivets.

That’s what I would do if there isn’t any clearance issues. Stainless button head
It doesn't look like it but I would always worry about them wearing into the bottom of the gas tank.

Back