• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose tunnel rivots

bleedyamaha

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder Rtx Le 2012 Yamaha Vector Ltx
My dealer called today and said they are ordering me a new tunnel from Yamaha. I had them look at some of the rivots that worked loose and sent pictures to Yamaha to see what should be done. Guess I am getting a new tunnel. Glad to see Yamaha is backing this problem up.

Which ones came loose? I plan to bring mine in for the recall shortly and want that checked as well.

Which ones came loose? I plan to bring mine in for the recall shortly and want that checked as well.
I had the rivots on the sides by where your boot would be the rivot on both sides under gas tank indent on top side and where rear bumper goes into tunnel and by mud flap. I noticed it after my last ride of the year on a white tunnel you have aluminum residule all around those rivots.It wipes up easily but you can tell where the paint broke loose around each rivots.

I try to load image but it takes me to a image list vs gallery pics to select. I will try to figure another way to post them. Sorry

Attachments

• IMAG2428.jpg
    IMAG2428.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 711
  • IMAG2435.jpg
    IMAG2435.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 721
  • IMAG2433.jpg
    IMAG2433.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 702
That's sad to see a quality issue like this pop up.
I wonder if the dealer can order a new tunnel with the VIN number already stamped in so you don't have to worry about trying to sell a VIN-less sled in the future ??

Seeing this on mine also. Phazer did it also but took alot longer for them to loosen up. I am hoping Mountaintech will make a kit to replace with Yamaha rivets. Probably just use a little paint on the rivets to make it look nice.

Cat you are able to get a tunnel with vin. You just have to cut out the vin from old tunnel and send it to them. Yamaha I never saw a replacement tunnel with Vin. Good question.

Seeing this on mine also. Phazer did it also but took alot longer for them to loosen up. I am hoping Mountaintech will make a kit to replace with Yamaha rivets. Probably just use a little paint on the rivets to make it look nice.

Cat you are able to get a tunnel with vin. You just have to cut out the vin from old tunnel and send it to them. Yamaha I never saw a replacement tunnel with Vin. Good question.
2 of the rivots are structural rivots so its a factory machine thing. My dealer will cut the vin nunber out and the new tunnel will be shipped from TR. to Georgia where the will be stamped with your vinn. number. The shop rate for r/r is 16 hours I was told. The parts are trickling in to do this. Hope the snow dont fly. About a week to to do this they hope

Mine is just the one structural rivet by the front skid mount and the regular rivets holding the casting on where the Pyramid tube attaches. Those are really bad but none are able to be moved by hand. I will take some pics.

So it sounds like this is a legit claim on warranty. Meaning Yamaha is actually backing it up! Hopefully this doesn't happen to to many of us..

Back