• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loose tunnel rivots

So it sounds like this is a legit claim on warranty. Meaning Yamaha is actually backing it up! Hopefully this doesn't happen to to many of us..
From talking to my service tech this has been a common problem with the AC tunnels. He had replaced several. I feel I am in good hands having them take care of it. Just wish this would have been taken care of before production began.

Had this happen many times when racing stock cars. Nature of the beast so to speak. No loose rivets on ours so far, if I do get a loose one I am going to try the rivet washer on the back of a new rivet trick with a super hard rivet.

Had this happen many times when racing stock cars. Nature of the beast so to speak. No loose rivets on ours so far, if I do get a loose one I am going to try the rivet washer on the back of a new rivet trick with a super hard rivet.
Lol you must have an air powered rivet gun or Popeye forearms

Yes all sleds this does happen eventually just not this fast. Good idea on the backing washers. Sure looks like that casting on mine is moving around. I have seen Sno X guys snap them. For sure I will be addressing those.

Last edited:
Air riveter is sure nice. Use mine often also. Does a better job than by hand since by hand you cant always keep riveter straight when compressing it.
If you replace a rivet don't use common soft ones, get the hardened ones.
made that mistake once on my polaris,the rivets holding the rear suspension brackets on fell out so I replaced with regular rivets and let's just say they didn't last very long

I emailed Mountaintech. Hoping he will make up a kit. I assume the Yamaha rivets are superior to these cat ones. It looks like the cat ones are hardened if the pull pin being black is a indicator. Just either not tight enough or not enough of them.

I am getting ready to replace my tunnel coolers and don't really want to hand rivet everything. Do I need the 1/4" or will a 3/16" rivet gun work?

I have the same harbor freight rivet gun. It comes with different nose pieces for all different size rivets. The 1/4" reference is the air inlet size not the rivet size. Though that gun can do 1/4" rivets.

I have the same harbor freight rivet gun. It comes with different nose pieces for all different size rivets. The 1/4" reference is the air inlet size not the rivet size. Though that gun can do 1/4" rivets.
Harbor Freight offers basically 2 air riveters, a 3/16" and a 1/4". This refers to the largest size rivet that the tool is rated for pulling, not the inlet air size. The rivet best used for general sled repair is a steel multigrip style rivet. It pulls very nicely, has good clamping force and is designed to "fill" an oversized hole.

Back