• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Loss of power while cruising like a broken belt

Fire

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha SR Viper LTX DX
Good evening everyone! New to the forum and being a sled owner. Purchased a used Viper a year ago and put about 500 miles on so far. Was riding in the UP a week back and experienced something new. While cruising 60-65 mph, I experienced a power loss like the belt broke. Stopped, pulled the fairing, expected to find a broke belt, and much to my surprise, it was fine. Nothing appeared out of sorts I could find. Started the sled back up & off I went. This happened a second time on the trip.

Any thoughts on something like this?

That's the interesting part. Nothing. No sound out of the norm. It just slides to a stop. I can even rev the engine with no issues just as if the belt broke. I shut it down, start it back up, and take off. Very odd to me

Usually when that gear disengages it makes a horrid noise. However, I would still think the problem has to be in there.

If I where you I would be pulling my chain case apart and checking everything because one of these times it's going to pop out of gear and not go back in and there ya sit. You know ya have a problem better address it before it's to late.

Well crap! I'll have to see what I can do. I just had it serviced and a new track put on it before this trip, which really makes me wonder if something wasn't put back correctly. ‍♂️

Well crap! I'll have to see what I can do. I just had it serviced and a new track put on it before this trip, which really makes me wonder if something wasn't put back correctly. ‍♂️
If you just had a track done, that's the first place to check. Probably an issue in the chaincase. Get it looked at right away, because it could easily get expensive!

Ya that sucks for sure season is to short to start with. Bring it back to who ever ya had change the track something is definitely out of wack.

Warranty or not I don't trust a lot of dealers working on my stuff if I have the time I do it myself if not I'll drive an hour to a dealer I trust but they are few and in between.

I would love to be able to do the work but time and space are the tough part. Finding a dealer is another issue. I had it serviced in WI for that very reason that had good reviews.
Appreciate everyone's response and insight to this! A big thanks to everyone!

Hopefully you can call the dealor and arrange an appointment for your repair on your next trip up with minimal delay. As the guys have said, popping out of or ‘between’ gears is almost certainly the issue and ‘they put the chain case back to together’ so they can adjust it. HUGE hassle I am sure.

RJs in Duluth has saved a few trips for me over the years with pre scheduled times and just hrs to 1/2 day delay. Good Luck

I agree, with the recent service that’s most likely the culprit. But, could belt deflection be a possibility also? Since it seems to be at higher speeds, if the belt is set to high on the sheave could it get high enough at higher speeds to loose friction & slip? But not pop off? Then as you coast to a stop and shut it down the sheaves open, belt slides back in and all appears normal. Quick check & fix if so.

I agree, with the recent service that’s most likely the culprit. But, could belt deflection be a possibility also? Since it seems to be at higher speeds, if the belt is set to high on the sheave could it get high enough at higher speeds to loose friction & slip? But not pop off? Then as you coast to a stop and shut it down the sheaves open, belt slides back in and all appears normal. Quick check & fix if so.

Honestly, I'm open to checking anything considering I'm in Central IL & the shop that did the work is in WI. I appreciate the idea & will be checking the belt, too.

Did you at least call them and let them know your situation, they did the work and are on the hook for it, if you wait to long they may deny your claim. If you call them at least they have it on record. What ever it is is probably in the chain case and nothing to do with the belt. Are you able to ride rite now if not take it there and get it fixed so when you can ride it's good to go.

Back