• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lost mid to top end power.

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
I am going to need some help on this problem. My vector last year was starting to lose power a lot. And I knew the exhaust doughnuts where shot. So this summer I put in new copper exhaust doughnuts, cleaned the carbs fully, and put in new spark plugs. As my sled has 15,200 miles on it. I just took it for a test spin today, and there is no mid to top end power. It is running just like it was at the end of last winter. It is idling great. And starts great. And does not bog down when you hit the gas. I am wondering if I should reclean the carbs on it? And I will be checking to make sure I have spark in all three cylinders. Need your advise. Thanks

Have you checked your fuel filters? Your sled is carbed, right? My buddies Rage had plugged tank filters. Replaced them and it ran like a champ.

Agreed on all the above! Check flyweight/ roller bushings, broken springs and worn secondary buttons.

Thanks guys. I cleaned my cluches every year fully. Both of them. And I just put new buttons on the secondary, and new rollers and weights last year on the primary. I only put 3,000 miles on last year. I will be checking the tank filter, and reclean the carbs.
Also I am noticing that there is a tinkling going on under my sled, like it is the exhaust. But I know the clamps are tight. If there is a crack in the exhaust pipe would it tinkle like that? I am wondering if that could also be where the power is getting lost. Thanks again guys.

Have you suspended the rear and watched the clutches open and close? Do you have a broken spring? Is the driven spring wound correctly and in the right positions?

Have you suspended the rear and watched the clutches open and close? Do you have a broken spring? Is the driven spring wound correctly and in the right positions?
I will be jacking up the back, and checking. Thanks for the help!!!

Ok, so I just jacked up the rear of the sled. And it is shifting fine, but is only going up to 7,000 rpms on the jack. And had all it could do to hit 110 on the jack. Now I put my brothers sled up on the jack to ( he has an 09 Yamaha vector, so a year newer than mine) and his had a lot higher rpms, and he got his easy up to 130mph on the jack real quick. Note we where only going this speed for a little bit, to check the clutching on both of our sleds to compare. His and mine clutches are set up the same, stock. So some thing is making me loose power wicked on my sled. My sled is stock for the clutching and carbs.

Bad bushing in the Primary clutch?? Is the belt worn ? Where is it riding in the secondary ? Maybe the Tink Tink Is bad bushings in the Primary's Weights

Clutch springs possibly worn

Bearings?? Jackshaft, lower drive axle by speedo.

I take the outer seal off both before every season & pack grease in.

Check all other wheel bearings, idler & rear axle.

Chaincase full of oil too?

Something is pulling the engine down & it's either worn/broken clutch parts or frozen bearings.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Do a compression test to eliminate an internal problem.

Bearings?? Jackshaft, lower drive axle by speedo.

I take the outer seal off both before every season & pack grease in.

Check all other wheel bearings, idler & rear axle.

Chaincase full of oil too?

Something is pulling the engine down & it's either worn/broken clutch parts or frozen bearings.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I take the rear suspension out every summer to replace and grease everything up. And I just installed a new drive axle bearing over the summer. I will have to check the jackshaft. Thanks!!!

Back