• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lost my bogie wheel 03 RX1

YammieMan

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha RX1
Went out riding today, when i came back I noticed my rear outside wheel is missing. How does this happen? Is it easy to replace? Is there any damage that could have happened? I didn't notice anything while riding.. thanks for the help. I will post pics.

Attachments

• 20190311_210007.jpg
    20190311_210007.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 175

Your picture isn't very clear. Is there a nut or the head of the bolt shaft there ?

Ken.........

Ya, sorry I took the pic right after the ride. I should melt the ice and snow around it and take another pic...

I tried taking a higher quality pic , but it always comes up as to large, file error. So I took another one, little better than the first one. Thanks . What causes this wheel to just fall off?

Attachments

• 20190312_065316.jpg
    20190312_065316.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
There is a snap ring that holds the bearing in the wheel. Looks like it failed and what you have left is just the bearing. You'll need a new wheel assembly. Some of the newer wheels have the bearing molded in the wheel.

Ok, appreciate the help. What kind would you reccomend. The other side is a mmp wheel I believe? Looks like a billet wheel. Size is an 8 inch

Well , in order to tension your track properly, you'll need the same size wheel. I've never used billet on any of my sleds, so I'm not much help there. Check EBay or the classifieds here on TY. Post up a want to buy thread. So one might have some on a shelf they are willing to part with. Good luck!

You might want to check the other wheels also so you don't have to take it apart again.

Ken...........

I'd be looking at changing out both sides rather than keeping/matching the one that hasn't failed YET.

Update to the 2010+ spoked black wheels with replaceable bearings.

You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the help.. is this something a guy could do in his own garage, or better to bring it to a shop as in sure they have to loosen the track and adjust the alignment etc.

And yes you should be able to handle it yourself, as long as you have decent mechanical equipment and skills.

Some of the newer wheels have the bearing molded in the wheel.

You mean some of the older wheels since Yamaha went with wheels with replaceable bearings later on. Looking at the pic, the bearing itself has failed, leaving you with just the inner race. I can tell because the washer only covers the inner race. This could happen on wheels with or without replaceable bearings. Since yours is an '03, if it was an original wheel, it was likely the non-replaceable type. I'd recommend the replaceable bearing type since they are serviceable and are actually cheaper.

Back