• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lost speedometer reads 0

earnhardt5054

I lost my speedometer last night on my 2003 RX1 reads 0. No squeeling or grinding apparent however everything I have read indicates to replace bearings. Any advise?

Yep........more than likely you lost the bearing on the right side of the driveshaft. That allows the shaft to tilt slightly and the gear on the end of the shaft that the speedometer pickup reads chews up the end of the pickup. It's a relatively easy fix but be careful.......some of those metal edges around there are very sharp.

Check above, but if the shaft is centered in the bearing, do not pull it all apart before taking our yoru airbox, tool box and storage bil and checking the wiring harness that run toward the front on the right hand side of your sled. There are some really shape edges on the frame/bulkhead where this wiring harness snakes through and it wears through wires here due to vibration. Happened to me around 5500 miles, speedo slowly died and was erratic for many miles before finally stopped working. Not a bad idea for everyone to check this out. did not blow any fuse or anything. I would imagine could start a fire under the wrong conditions. Good luck. FYI, I lined the shape edges with water hose and zip tied it on and wrapped the harness with an old innner tube and wrapped this in electrical tape, but still keep an eye on it when it is a part.

Happened to me. Drive shaft bearing. Uggh had to put in new retainer plate too.

This happened to me but the bolt just backed out so the speedo gear came off. Luckily enough I noticed the speedo wasn't working soon after and I found the bolt and gear in the bottom of the engine compartment before they fell through the bottom.

Back