• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Love my Phazer.. not!

Rooster828

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha phazer
bought this sled not knowing the maintenance that one of these require before 3k miles. Changing the oil made me want to go Knock on the door of every Yamaha engineer , plastic bushings in the swing arms ? Common ,and now the oilite bushing are so tight I have busted my bench vice trying to press them in with a 3’ pipe extension to get the leverage needed. And yes I greesed them and ran a wire brush head through the arm and cleaned everything up. The rear skid was broke on the front arm in two places. The rail was cracked. And when I look all this up all I find is that this is common problems with these POS sleds. I will have more $ into this sled then I’d like to admit. The upper a-arm oilite bushings I think I’m just going to give up on and put some new plastic #*$&@ ones back in since I must need a commercial press to get the rod back in once the bushings are set. Sounds like the motors are reliable , too bad Yamaha did not put it in a sled that wouldn’t damn near implode while riding
This is my first and last Yamaha sled

bought this sled not knowing the maintenance that one of these require before 3k miles. Changing the oil made me want to go Knock on the door of every Yamaha engineer , plastic bushings in the swing arms ? Common ,and now the oilite bushing are so tight I have busted my bench vice trying to press them in with a 3’ pipe extension to get the leverage needed. And yes I greesed them and ran a wire brush head through the arm and cleaned everything up. The rear skid was broke on the front arm in two places. The rail was cracked. And when I look all this up all I find is that this is common problems with these POS sleds. I will have more $ into this sled then I’d like to admit. The upper a-arm oilite bushings I think I’m just going to give up on and put some new plastic #*$&@ ones back in since I must need a commercial press to get the rod back in once the bushings are set. Sounds like the motors are reliable , too bad Yamaha did not put it in a sled that wouldn’t damn near implode while riding
This is my first and last Yamaha sled
I suppose these ball joints aren’t suppose to have vertical movement either

So do you feel better now? Bitching on here is not going to do anything. But if you feel better then we have some success.
Not feeling better yet. But it’s still too soon
Going over to use a 20 ton press. The bushings are either going in or I will taco the a-arms.

Not feeling better yet. But it’s still too soon
Going over to use a 20 ton press. The bushings are either going in or I will taco the a-arms.
Ha ha good ol phazer's I have to do the same to mine over the summer but if the price is right ill uprgrade front a arms to mountaintechs. So far rear skids holding up but I only have 1300 miles on my 11mtx. Wait till you have to change your starter out! Also check your wiring harness on the right hand side a long the radiator, I had rub through causing the starter to engage while running and it roasted the starter @ 300 miles

Try a piece of 3/8 threaded rod with washers and nuts on each end. Long enough to go through the bushings and a arms. Snug up the nuts and then keep tightening with some wrenches. Should suck the bushing right in.

20 ton press worked. All you need is a complete machine shop and Yamahas are no problem to work on , and having a midget with long arms and wrenching abilities to get at the oil filter and lower a-arm bolts.

Oil filter was never a problem for me even.with my meat hooks.

I'd love to see you walk into a biker bar and yell 'Harleys suck!' and see how long you survive. Learn how to fix it and enjoy it. All makers have their issues. Suck it up.

Oil filter was never a problem for me even.with my meat hooks.

I'd love to see you walk into a biker bar and yell 'Harleys suck!' and see how long you survive. Learn how to fix it and enjoy it. All makers have their issues. Suck it up.[/QUOT

I do hate Harley’s

Yup feel your pain on these sleds. Got one for wife (2012 gt) seems like a lot of maintenance required that should not b. Needs parts every year despite the low miles she put on easy miles too. Just did the oil lite bushings this fall but had no issues with the kit used emery cloth to clean up the tight arms and spent a lot of time fitting them but super good now. Stupid cheap bushings and poor design on front end. Ate sliders crazy fast but DuPont and low snow kit solved. Seems it will need some front end part every year. Engine is awesome and very fun sled though which makes up for the annoying stuff. Filter only needs done at your discretion ( first service then Yamaha says every 20k.
Wife loves the sled doesn’t want anything else I will have to keep it running forever for her.

Every snowmobile is lots of maintenance. It doesn't matter who builds them! Lots of little stuff with the Phazer but not once has it not made it home, 9000+ miles on it now. After the Upbushman steering it and Ulmer oilites I haven't touched the front end, the ball joints are just starting to get a bit loose though (spray them with white lithium grease before every trip) and if the front skid arm broke, make sure to source a 2010 or newer as they are the most current and 4th version. The other "big" issue is exhaust donuts, mine eats them for breakfast, even the copper ones didn't make it 4000 miles.

the 09 rtx i bought had similar/worse issues as i got it with high milage and it was jumped and abused. still chasing some little things but now that it has been sorted out all my siblings love that little bugger as it is a hoot to ride in the trails and there are days i like it too for how it handles now that we have it set up properly.

Same with me. I have some issues that had to be fix right away when I got it this fall. I have some minor issues to get right. Some of the members on this forum were nice enough to give me some good advice and it is getting better. But every ride that I do with it are so much fun. It keep me motivated to work on it and make it better.

This little sled will be a great for my daughter when she turn 16.

Yes, great sleds. My son is on his 2nd a 14 xtx. Again bent suspension rails with 1400 mi. Decided he loves the phazer and but their suspension needed upgrading. We had a 09 nytro xtx suspension after another build and the front bolted right in after narrowing ot up 1/2" on each side. A simple bracket fabbed up for the rear and no modifications to the tunnel other than grinding a nut off the inside of the tunnel that the bumper bolts to for flat fitment . Then you have a skid ready for any 144 you want as long as you trim it to 14" centered. Heres a pic after and it rides amazing and doesnt bottom.

I ride a 09 Phazer RTX with 2400 miles on it now and it has been problem free. Added the forth wheel at rear axle and solid state fuel pump relay. Sled has minimal play in the steering linkage. Nice to have this forum to read up on all the solutions to repairing and maintaining.

Back