• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Low fuel light on early?

Force4000

Extreme
Hello everyone,

Upgraded from a 06 to a 13 SE this past winter and am a bit frustrated by the gas tank. I was riding this past weekend and at 70 miles my tank light came on. I put about 35 miles on with my light on/1 bar and then finally found a station to fill up. When I filled up i used 8 gallons. This means that a gallon was still in there. So my question is why would the light come on at 70 miles yet I had a possible 5o miles to go, is my gas gauge faulty?

Also after owning two Apex, it took me this long to realize just last year that I can get quite a bit more fuel in the tank by pulling that "splash tube" up while filling. It not only burps more air out that's trapped behind it, but also reduces the gas splashed on the seat.

But yes, the light does come on fairly early. I think most owners should ride with a buddy one day that has a fuel can, and run that sucker dry, or at least to it's upper limit of miles so that they truly understand the range.

Obviously there are variables to consider, but average trail riding should still net you well over 110 miles/tank. I have found that my mileage on the apex doesn't vary a ton, unless really hard on the hammer, or banging deep snow and slush for hours.

Good luck!

Sounds right to me.

i hit my trip meter #2. When it gets to 100 miles, time to look for gas.

I've never ran out, but am curious to know from people that have. How many miles exactly until the tank is dry?

That's the issues, there is no exact miles. As there are too many variables. All you can go by is the low fuel light that starts the fuel meter. That tells you that you have x gallons left. If you know how many gallons that is, then you can roughly calculate how many miles you have left before empty based on that days riding conditions.

On our trail day, that final 1.5 gallons will go much further than a powder ditch day, or slushy lake day.

2016 Apex. last year my low fuel came on just as I was pulling into a gas station. Sled took 6.9 gallons to fill up with insert removed from tank. A few weeks later I actually ran out of gas 1 mile from my trailer. Was towed back, and completely empty I took 9.7 gallons to fill up with insert removed. So on my sled I have 2.8 gallons left when low fuel light comes on. I am usually in the range of 94-98 miles when my light comes on, but that varies a lot by conditions and how itchy my throttle thumb is.

2016 Apex. last year my low fuel came on just as I was pulling into a gas station. Sled took 6.9 gallons to fill up with insert removed from tank. A few weeks later I actually ran out of gas 1 mile from my trailer. Was towed back, and completely empty I took 9.7 gallons to fill up with insert removed. So on my sled I have 2.8 gallons left when low fuel light comes on. I am usually in the range of 94-98 miles when my light comes on, but that varies a lot by conditions and how itchy my throttle thumb is.
After finding a gas station closed and butt puckering to the next station, I found it took 9.1 gallons. I was sweating bullets! Whew!

Yeah, thats not fun at all. I had to turn around and change my route last winter because i didnt think i would make it to the next gas station. I might have made it, but I was riding alone, so i had to turn around. I have a 1.3 gallon can mounted on the tunnel now.

I just think its odd I guess. If my light is coming on around 80 miles, I ride 35 miles with the fuel light on and the odo counting and I fill up and only used 8 gallons (1 left) mine is prematurely reading low fuel if its suppose to kick in around 1.5 gallons. That would mean my low fuel is kicking around 3 gallons left?

Usually when I hit 100 miles, that's when I feel I need to definitely start looking for gas.

My 2012 light came on with 2 bars the other day. When I filled it up, it only took 5. 5 gallons. Had about 80 miles on it. My Attak would be down to 2-2.5 gallons with well over 100 miles. Big difference.

Back