• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Lower drive shaft and Speedo cog damage

Bluebullet

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2021 sidewinder LTX GT, 2010 Apex LTX GT
So need some help, heard a noise ride before my last ride, sounded like belt issue.... got home opened things up and found the speed sensor gear was hitting on the bearing cover? so replaced the bearing and the bearing I removed was still in good shape, anyway had a new one so I replaced it anyway. put all back together and things just didn't seem quite rite? I had my last ride the next day so off I went. after about 100 miles into the trip. speedo quit working( at least I new my bearing was new so finished my ride as planned. This morning I took a look and found this( Pics) looks like lower shaft has moved? there is no vibration when riding at all. no other noises? the pics clearly show the shaft is off center? and also looks like it isn't sticking out of the housing as far as normal? What do you guys think? I will be removing the suspension this summer anyway and hope to get a better look. Has anyone seen a similar issue?
Thanks Blue

Attachments

• speedo Shaft.jpg
    speedo Shaft.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 559
  • drive shaft.jpg
    drive shaft.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 413

You need a new drive shaft it's supposed to be tight in the bearing with two setset scr tight on the inside.looks like someone never tightened the set screws and it spun itself to death!

Lots of issues there..not only on speedo side but also in the chain case for the driveshaft to be able to move laterally like that.
Time to disassemble chain case remove driveshaft ect and inspect everything.

Thanks guys, I agree something has moved I am hoping that the lower rev gear loosened up? Reverse has continued to work fine. any way good time of year for chain case inspection! I will let you know what I find.

Took chain case all apart nothing was loose, reinstalled chain case, drive shaft and speedo bearing all looks good now.... WTF......

Any ideas? shaft is now centered and spins nice. no vibration and No visible damage to shaft, cogs, chain case was all tight. Reinstalled chain case and tried to move shaft in either direction. with no movement. installed new bearing. speed gear.... all looks good. no play anywhere. thoughts?

Attachments

• chain case1.jpg
    chain case1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 330
  • speedo1.jpg
    speedo1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 332
  • sled work.jpg
    sled work.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 315

Back