• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

LTX 137 lack of transfer..Reasoning/Solution?

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Lots of talk on lack of transfer on 137 vs 129, so I started looking into this myself. I've got 129 and 137 skids and tunnels side by side and started working through them to compare.

The most notable difference is that rear mount of a 137 skid is farther back on the tunnel, so in turn the rear skid arms are farther back on the rails. This changes the distribution of rider weight and I feel could be the reason for lack of transfer.

For an easy analogy think of a single axle trailer. Think of the weight on the skis as tongue weight. Rider is the load on trailer, and the rear skid mounting point is the axle of trailer. The position of rider weight/load is constant between a 129/137 so if you move the rear mounting point/axle farther back like on the 137 there is less weight available on the axle as more of the rider weight is being distributed across the skis/tongue.

With less weight beings distributed across the rear of a 137 skid, to me it makes perfect sense that a 129 transfers better than a 137 when both are sprung with the same rate torsion spring. With less weight available to counter the spring force, I'm thinking that a 137 should come equipped with a lighter spring rate than a 129.

I've been told that there actually is no lighter spring rate available and for me at 210 lbs I can't even get much sit in with the adjuster blocks on the softest setting. I have a friend that just bought an LTX, and at 140lbs the sled is not going squat at all when he gets on the gas! I think I have a solution which utilizes the stock springs....and hope to test it soon. Just wanted to post my thoughts to see what others think.

Hygear has a replacement spring but its pricey at $160. I weigh 170 and I have sit in on my new LTX LE with the shocks set on soft. I'd be interested to know of another solution.

I think my Sidewinder is not sprung correctly. I go 195lbs with sled set on soft. Has such little give.

Last year I rode someone on back for 10miles. Rear suspension seemed more at home with the extra weight. and never bottomed out.

Just adding my thoughts.

Me too. No room on 129 to move arm forward big cut out where needed and 137 I think has hole there too. Go for it Travis. Do it for 129 too though.

I think my Sidewinder is not sprung correctly. I go 195lbs with sled set on soft. Has such little give.

Last year I rode someone on back for 10miles. Rear suspension seemed more at home with the extra weight. and never bottomed out.

Just adding my thoughts.

Feedback is what I'm looking for! I am in same boat..... have very little give with my LTX DX

Just adding my thoughts.

Yes, mine rode better with another person on back also.

Hygear has a replacement spring but its pricey at $160. I weigh 170 and I have sit in on my new LTX LE with the shocks set on soft. I'd be interested to know of another solution.

I think the Hygear spring is not softer, just bent on end. I bought one & will know first ride if it works.

Just move the bottom of the rear sissor forward .

Is it that simple? Has someone tried this? Sometimes changing geometry even a tad can make the ride suffer.

YES Travis, I am interested in seeing what you come up with.

I am correct that anything discussed here would also apply to my xtx 137

VX1R stated a while ago that he got a softer torsion spring from Hygear and that made a difference. Been meaning to call Hygear about this because their website is vague about the spring rate comparison to stock. I think my sled rides great but do want to be able to unweight the skis at will.

Last edited:
Just move the bottom of the rear sissor forward .

this....travis...like we discussed....the change in the skids geometry (thanks cannondale) after my 12' procross and the 13 year...14' moved the bottom of the scissor vertical ....where in the 12 and 13 year the bottom was an inch forward ...pre sagging or setting into the preload of the spring and shock (set in) ...the previous version came with a 18.5 lb spring...with the optional spring being a 16.5 lbs spring....guess what...the stock spring now is the optional 16.5 spring! so the solution is exactly what I told you...

yes there are different upper mounting spots on the 129 vs 137 ...and that does reveal a slightly better transfer...but the real soluion is recreating the set in the genius's at cat took away!

Back