• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

lug height question

jlinstruth

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Yamaha sidewinder ltx se
I am buying a 2018 sidewinder ltx se and am considering putting something besides a 1.25" tack on. I am wondering if 1.5" or 1.6" cobra will fit and still be able to stud it? Maybe do just 1.35 cobra with studs. We ride 90% trail on 10% off, just have had ripsaw 2 on other sleds, not my favorite. Studding is very important, usually run 144 or 162 triggers. I am a skidoo convert, this will be my first Yamaha sled.

I want to do the same. In the short time I had my Winder I felt it needed more traction and the 1.25 just doesn't move enough snow on loose trails. I am leaning toward the 1.5 Ripsaw as recommended by the Camso rep. I don't know how studs will fit?? I worry about the long term durability of the Cobra on hard packed trails. Camso rep talked me OUT of a 1.6 Cobra for my turbo Viper expressing lug durability on hard packed trails for a sled with that much power.
I wish they made a 1.5 ice ripper

I had 1.5 ripsaw 2 on my freeride, seemded to work well all around

Was told by camoplast rep that the cobra is really only a 1.25" track. The little rubber nubs that look like studs are what they measure to and that's how they get the higher measurement. And it's a much softer lug so they will fold over ez on harder packed surfaces which is good for floatation but bad for performance based trail riding. Either stick with sticker or the 1.5 ripsaw is best bet for studding or the 1.6 (which I'm sure is measured to tip of stud and is only a 1.5" track otherwise) and run it unstudded. But my take is 1.5ripsaw studded would be best option.

FWIW I believe the standard Cobra track is now the same as the Ice Cobra design they just don't put the studs in it. This makes the track much stiffer than the previous design because of the cones molded in for the studs. Weather it will help dealing with the extra HP is another question.

I've been running the 1.5" Ripsaw 2 on my Viper for two seasons. One of those seasons with my turbo installed. It really is a fantastic track! I would choose it over the Cobra hands down.

I've been running the 1.5" Ripsaw 2 on my Viper for two seasons. One of those seasons with my turbo installed. It really is a fantastic track! I would choose it over the Cobra hands down.

I agree with what Turtle just posted.

I've got a full season on the 1.5" Ripsaw 2 installed on my SW LTX-LE and it rocks. I chose it for the harder durometer over the Cobra due to the HP of the SW for maximum track life and the added traction on hard pack.

I have the 1.6" ice cobra on my sidewinder, have 3000km on it and track looks brand new still and have rode on very hard packed trails, trails with tips of rocks showing and many less than ideal conditions. No problem with this track and the power, it is definitely not as good as a studded track but I can enjoy riding the sled and not have to worry about throwing a stud through the heat exchanger. Plus this track is awesome when you get into the deeper snow. But if your looking to stud definitely go with the 1.5" ripsaw 2 track. Like others have said this track has softer lugs.

I want to do the same. In the short time I had my Winder I felt it needed more traction and the 1.25 just doesn't move enough snow on loose trails. I am leaning toward the 1.5 Ripsaw as recommended by the Camso rep. I don't know how studs will fit?? I worry about the long term durability of the Cobra on hard packed trails. Camso rep talked me OUT of a 1.6 Cobra for my turbo Viper expressing lug durability on hard packed trails for a sled with that much power.
I wish they made a 1.5 ice ripper

Well the Rep needs to go back to class on his tracks. This 1.6" single ply track has over 6000 miles on it running over 4000 of them at 235 hp and 2000 of them at 265 hp and was studded at around 900 miles. There ar no torn lugs and not a single stud pull out, several are bent and being replaced this fall. there is also 15 screw in studs in the paddles which did not do the trick and about 30 of them are now gone.

And yes you should have enough clearance to run them. I just am not sure on the winder if the tunnel protectors are in place or if you have to add them.

Studs @.jpg

The Rep I talked to said he DESIGNED the tracks!!!!! I should show him your track.
I am actually trying to get away from running that many studs. I would like to get away with running just enough for safety in icy situations. I want the higher lugs for loose snow though.
That looks like my Viper track.......

I would think the pre studded version is plenty if just wanting safety. Wanting performance studding would be better.

I can tell you there is a trade off when going with longer lugs and gobs of hp. This thing is unbelievable on a hard packed race track or trail and also in the deep snow but get it on ice and it just blows the track. even with all the studs they are so long that they tend to lay over and not bite. I have tried several times to run shaved ice drags and just cannot do it. I have had great success with it on snow covered tracks.

I have a 2017 xtx le 137 with the 1.75 Backcountry track. Same gearing and drivers as the 1.25 tracks on the 137 sidewinders. A 1.6 track should fit fine. I trail ride in the UP. No need for studs up here as we get plenty of like effect snow.

I can tell you there is a trade off when going with longer lugs and gobs of hp. This thing is unbelievable on a hard packed race track or trail and also in the deep snow but get it on ice and it just blows the track. even with all the studs they are so long that they tend to lay over and not bite. I have tried several times to run shaved ice drags and just cannot do it. I have had great success with it on snow covered tracks.
I just want the studs/prestudded track for safety. I dont ice or lake race, those days are gone. I dont want the added weight of studs anymore. I dont want a rip out to ruin a ride. I want a track that gets good grip on hard pack and will move snow when the trails are loose. Running loose trails and spinning all day is frustrating.
Unless they come out with a 1.5 ice ripper I think the Ripsaw 2 1.5 is the track for me.

I just want the studs/prestudded track for safety. I dont ice or lake race, those days are gone. I dont want the added weight of studs anymore. I dont want a rip out to ruin a ride. I want a track that gets good grip on hard pack and will move snow when the trails are loose. Running loose trails and spinning all day is frustrating.
Unless they come out with a 1.5 ice ripper I think the Ripsaw 2 1.5 is the track for me.

How much different would a proposed 1.5" ice ripper be from the 1.6" ice cobra that is currently on the market? I put one on my sled and wanted it for that exact reason, extra paddle and just enough stud to add safety. So far, the 1.6" ice cobra has been great.

Good luck,

Back