• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Luggage?

lasrtim

Veteran
I was looking to buy Yamaha Color Matched Combination Saddlebags and ran across the new Premium Combination Trunk Bag (gray and black). Question is what is the real size difference? The Saddlebags look bigger, but the Combo Trunk Bags looks cool. Just want to be sure I fit my touring stuff. Thanks for any help!

lasrtim - I want to make sure we have this right as this can be a little confusing as there are so many offerings now. I have added links to both items below that you might be looking at just to confirm we are looking at the same items. The larger in terms of size is the new Premium Combination Trunk Bag which is slightly larger than the Color Matched Combination Saddlebag. The new Premium Combination Trunk Bag also has a nice map pouch on the top along with the ability to access the entire bag threw the center zipper and the ability to zip up some dividers on the inside to make three separate compartments (The Combination Saddlebag has three separate compartments that require opening the zipper on each to get at each compartment). The Color Matched Combination Saddlebag in my mind is made out of a little better material (balastic nylon) and has been a very durable product over the years however the jury is not out yet on the newer Premium Combination Trunk Bag as this is its first season however I don't expect problems as afterall it is a Yamaha product. The most important thing to keep in mind with the durability of either is correctly mounting it as lately I have seen alot of burnt straps due to the exhaust. The key here and the directions that come with the kits is not the best for explaining this but in my opinion you need to route the rear straps in a V-pattern on the Apex and Vector models with the dual exhausts and mount the rear straps to the side on the Phazer and Nytro models with the center exhaust. The Color Matched Combination Saddlebags come with all the necessary hardware for mounting on all models but the newer Premium Combination Trunk Bag is short some hardware for mounting on the extended length sleds as the straps are to short for some of the longer models (on these I recommend purchasing an extra set of 1" cam buckles and using them to mount the rear straps to the side or center of the tunnel depending upon the model). Over time I need to get some pictures of properly mounting the rear straps on here to help users get theirs mounted properly to prevent problems. Here's some links to the two bags from our website. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks

Color Matched Combination Saddlebags
http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod_cat ... n_Sadd.htm
Premium Combination Trunk Bag
http://www.portyamaha.com/eshopprod_cat ... nk_Bag.htm

The bags you linked are the ones I was looking at. I am leaning toward the new ones right now. So, if I understand you correctly, the reccomendation is to mount the rear straps in a V on the extended tunnel flat with an extra set of cams? Let me know if you have the trunk bags and cams in stock. Also, the matching windsheild bag. Thanks for your help!

Yes mount the rear straps in a V down to the tunnel to prevent the exhaust from burning through the straps. An extra set of cams will work for doing that. We do have the bag, cams, and the windshield bag in stock. Give me a call if you would like to get an order going. Thanks

I just purchased the premium bag and saw your comment about mounting it using a V for rear straps for the Vector sled. Did you happen to have any pictures of this yet?

Thanks

Chester

:jump:

Chester - sorry I don't have any photos to update you with but just make sure to route the strap from the left rear side of the bag down to the bumper and then up to the right rear side of the bag and the right to the left and then the straps will look like a V from the rear. This will keep the straps from getting too close to the exhaust outlets (Note this mounting only works for the sleds with dual exhausts).

Port-Parts said:
Chester - sorry I don't have any photos to update you with but just make sure to route the strap from the left rear side of the bag down to the bumper and then up to the right rear side of the bag and the right to the left and then the straps will look like a V from the rear. This will keep the straps from getting too close to the exhaust outlets (Note this mounting only works for the sleds with dual exhausts).

Thanks for the reply on the bag mounting. When I looked at doing something like that with mine the straps weren't long enough. I decided to purcahse some cams. The ones I saw at the hardware store started at 1.5" width. I decided to use them and bought 4. Two for the back and two to replace the ones that came with the unit. The reason for buying the bigger cams (1.5" vs 1") were for several reasons. 1) The opening to slide the strap in was bigger, but still closed down just as tight as the 1". I had trouble sliding the strap into the 1" cam and it wasn't even cold out yet. 2) The 1.5" cams were heavier duty compared to the 1" = stronger. The added size and strength will aid in using the larger cams when it is cold and if they ice up from riding all day. The only drawback is I need to drill a hole in them for mounting which is not a big deal. I plan on mounting two on the back in the center to form the "V" shape. The other two will replace the original ones and mount in the same place on the side of the tunnel. I also purchased four "H" strap holders to keep the extra strap from wiping around. This ideas was from some else on, but can't remember who.

Chester

:jump:

Back