• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mach Z not stock king of the lake.

Troy, the 1200 is actually a 1170cc engine, but still the strongest snowmobile engine ever built to accept a turbo too it un-opened. It could exceed 500HP without ever pulling the head off of it! Just install the proper turbo and components and go. No head studs, no low compression pistons, no rods.

Stock engine, right of the machine as it come from Doo. think about that over 500HP, next best was the older Apex or the old RX-1. 440HP on stock internals. Just make sure they didn't detonate. That 1200 was the most stout engine ever produced to date.

The best engine to accept HUGE boost with heavier internals is of course, the 1100 Suzuki twin, couldn't take much abuse however with it stock internals, but with proper internals installed they exceed 70 even 80 lbs of boost now.

The 998 is actually not that great of an engine all things considered. What it is know for, is it ability to be boosted on pump gas at a reasonable cost.

The 1200 SkiDoo is king of pump gas horsepower to this day using a Motec ignition system. I know they were at around 380HP a few years ago, and I believe now it may be over 400HP I've heard. And for the cost it takes to get the 900R up in power to 300HP you may just as well do up a 1200 at that point as it would be less costly and more reliable. Still the best bang for the buck is the 998 Yama/Cat, but nothing beats the sweet swiss-watch four-cylinder Apex engine with boost, it's just in the wrong chassis is all.

Yamaha should partner with Cat to get a couple of models of that Apex back into production WITH and WITHOUT a turbo! Nothing better than that cushioned under-driven primary output shaft for belt and clutch life! Imagine having a 280HP turbo stock and a 200HP machinery to pick from!
I never knew the specific numbers but yes I had heard the Suzuki 1100 could take big time boost. Stands to reason why that’s what seems to be winning the outlaw class at the grass drags and such.

I learned something here though, I did think the Apex could take more boost without internal work back from a conversation I had in person with big Jim from OSP when he was still around. Thanks for the clarification.

As for the 1200, it must be the partnership with Petrona that Ski Doo (BRP) went a different direction which is too bad.

Last edited:

I think DOO went with the 900ACE because that motor was already with the Canam. No R&D and really cost effective.... Nothing wrong with that, but they over marketed and under delivered when utilizing it in the snowmobile market.

slightly/sort of off topic, but I saw a couple Mach Z's being uncrated at the Ski Doo dealer near me this afternoon. It was actually pretty good looking in person. After watching the various videos, I thought it looked kind of "snub-nosed", and wasn't sold on the colour, but similar to the T-Cat, in person that dark grey with the black is pretty slick. Honestly hope they work out whatever kinks with the smartshox and clutching/rpm's, as there's nothing like some healthy competition to make competitors react, which is all good for all of us! :)

slightly/sort of off topic, but I saw a couple Mach Z's being uncrated at the Ski Doo dealer near me this afternoon. It was actually pretty good looking in person. After watching the various videos, I thought it looked kind of "snub-nosed", and wasn't sold on the colour, but similar to the T-Cat, in person that dark grey with the black is pretty slick. Honestly hope they work out whatever kinks with the smartshox and clutching/rpm's, as there's nothing like some healthy competition to make competitors react, which is all good for all of us! :)
That G4 platform reminds me of a 77 Panther we had. Same flat nose.

There are 5 sitting on my dealer floor and besides the ugly duck looking sled, it looks like a real nice piece!!!

In these times when sleds are hard to get, how does a dealer have 5 top shelf machines in stock? Maybe they aren't selling as well as they thought they would? Or are people backing out of spring agreements?

In these times when sleds are hard to get, how does a dealer have 5 top shelf machines in stock? Maybe they aren't selling as well as they thought they would? Or are people backing out of spring agreements?

I'd bet they are waiting on parts to complete

Hope the dealers don't have to pay floor plan while awaiting parts for sleds they cannot get paid on until delivery....

Back