• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Major belt issues (7 belts this season)

Ethan_Messinger

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Nytro XTX
2011 nytro xtx. studded 1.25 track. Stock engine

Going through belts every 100 miles this season. 1 of the 7 belts lasted 400 miles.

Ride trails in the U.P. 90% of the time, 10% off trail.

Spend nearly $700 in belts this season

sheaves have been machined smooth, they had a little grooving in the bottom sheave but had been smoothed out by rock river yamaha in johnson creek. Belt is sitting in sheaves properly. Only running Yamaha belts.

What is my issue? Why is it cooking belts.

Have you read through the comments in my belt post? I'm not nearly as bad off as you but my belt life seems to be dropping off some. So far I haven't found any one thing jumping out at me and saying fix me. I'm thinking I'm my case it may just be a combination of a bunch of little things gradually getting worse.

Sounds like clutches are missing aligned in some manner, ie center to center or offset. I have ran the same belt for 3 years. With upgrades and no problems. I would definitely check it out. Long shot check motor mounts. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

I was having the same issue a few years ago. I had clean clutches, aligned perfectly, washed new belts, everything else i could think of. Then I realized that the inner bushing on the secondary clutch was a bit worn down, so when the secondary was off the machine I could get the rear sheave to rock back and forth a bit on the front sheave instead of sliding in and out properly. My theory was that the secondary could bind under those conditions, so I changed out the bushings.
It worked for me, I have not blown a belt since.

I think I heard about the skid plate missing or coming loose will allow snow to get on the clutches, causing slip, causing heat, and resulting in belt failure.

1100 miles on my new yamaha belt this year... Zero signs of wear, looks new even on edges. Mis-alignment makes sense... Strange to see 100 miles per belt.

i would check clutch bushings 1st before going deeper.

Back