• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

making an xtx float

sgilbert

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I bought this with intent on trail riding and have it dialed in nice with regular simons and steering relocate. set up to rail, lots of ski pressure. well we finally got a real storm and went out last night on some waist deep, heavy snow, for miles uphill as it gets deeper. the terms "light as a feather" never came to mind. like a plow until and if you can get some speed up. I guess I can see why people change tracks. it digs for gold almost as good as my apex.
Just curious to see if anyone can enlighten me a little on mountain tricks such as float plates. realize track is limited as are regular skis, want to keep them as they are for now as trail riding is great. also curious if mountain guys narrow up the front and remove ski pressure. little curious about using float shocks to make letting it down and up on trail easily, also without letting spring slack.

your set up is all wrong for deep snow!

Take the weight off of your skis, set alot of transfer, soften up your rear suspension and it will be a different sled in the deep!

Gil - I know you mentioned that you'd liked to keep your skis and track for now...however...those are the two items I changed that made a HUGE difference in the backcountry capability of my XTX. I slapped on a pair of Simmon's Gen II's and a 1.75" Backcountry and man what a difference.
I initially thought, with the Gen II's being 10" wide that it would be difficult side hilling and banking the sled, but I actually find it easier...which is wonderful since I'm a lighter rider. As for the track, it has been covered on here many times, the XTX puts the power down much more efffectively with the Backcountry.
You will notice a huge difference with the track as the ripsaw blows so much out the back end and does not aid, whatsoever, in keeping the front end up. The Gen II's have been a nice complement, but I really noticed a huge difference with the Backcountry.
The only addition I see myself doing is the OFT relocator and maybe an Ulmer Trail Package. But that will have to wait for now.
Hope this helps!

these are all answers I expected, still helpfull to here real world input. not serious about specifically setting it up for mountain climbing as the reality is rarely get a chance around here and my trail setup would suffer.
bjowett, 20mi west of me is almost NY, 10mi west of me is Florida mt where I managed to ride over 800mi with no snow anywhere else. just talked to groomers and I guess this heavy allday rain was all even more snow up there. I guess they cant even get the groomers through yet. familiar? I plan to get a nice long life from the ripsaw, then get an ice ripper. if bt then I'm bored I may go with bigger 1 3/4 like others are talking. I had a predetor on a zrt and remember about knocking out the guy behind me with a high speed ice chunk up north. thought it was very similar to ripsaw. I deal for automatic and can get pretty good deal on basic tracks. in past ice rippers have been alot of bang for buck and very long lasting. as careful as can be around here, bent and broken studs are part of the program, thats with 1/8 over, no idea how people get away with 1/4 over. never seen that hold up around here. I read a post from someone summer hiking had 5 gal bucket half full of various broken ripped pics from few miles of trail

I would use a backcountry track even if all I did was trail riding. Handles great, very durable and lets you feel the power. Off trail I purposely get the sled sunk down to the running boards so its jacked up and then I hit the throttle and rock it and out she comes. Did I mention I love this track??

Well you probably aren't going to get this thing to float real well as you stated. A flotation plate will help out some and so will increasing your transfer. The key is getting the front end on top of the snow or you aren't going anywhere. Especially uphill. Its kind of like coming up on plane in a boat. Once you get on top you great.

If I where you I'd look for a used pair of moutain skis on Ebay. You can probably get them for the same price as a flotation plate. I'd also increase my transfer and decrease my ski pressure. You don't want a heavy front end.

That's what I'd try.

USI project 301 skiis & cobra track & my xtx gets on top of powder like a sea-doo on water. Also make sure your clutching is set up & your pulling at least 8600 rpm in powder.

1.75" track
Curve XS skis
a little clutching
bar riser

Simple changes that made a HUGE difference - would also suggest the 1.25" predator if not wanting to head up to 1.75"

I have found that my setup works well on and off trail.

I have softened the suspension all the way out, run the torsion spring on M and have swapped out the front and center springs with Hygear's triple and dual rate springs. This has lowered the sled and gave it great trail manners, and is much easier on my body when things get rough.

I also run SLP powder pros for skis and have for years. They are very aggressive on the trail and have wide profile with a deep keel for off trail. I have tried several others and found these to be the best in all situtations.

I am running a cobra (1.375 x 15 x 144) track. This has agian helped both on and off trail. Because of the paddle shape the back end will give alot easier on trail in the corners, has great traction and is a million times better than a ripsaw in powder.

sgilbert said:
bjowett, 20mi west of me is almost NY, 10mi west of me is Florida mt where I managed to ride over 800mi with no snow anywhere else. just talked to groomers and I guess this heavy allday rain was all even more snow up there. I guess they cant even get the groomers through yet. familiar?

I'm right over in North Adams. I ride Florida all the time... didn't run up there today to check the snow. We broke trail up in Woodford all day. If Florida got even half of what Woddford has, and it sounds as though they did, we will all be riding in April..... shorts anyone?

ok, so went out yesterday to break trail for 20mi north. figured 2hrs or so. well 8hrs later I made it back. again, the reason I started this post is for education and give me some thoughts while riding. When I'm ready for new track, may go 1.75 as all have said they like it as well for trail riding. pretty sure I would need widen skis than my reg simmons. would also need clutching
anyway, didn't mess with my front end as it took 500mi to get it where I like it, but did let the torsions down to low which helped alot. to me torsions are easy on trail side, tip machine up, with someone to balance, top suspension out, roll lower retainer forward, muscle spring out and let down, turn adj block, reset spring, repeat other side. 1/2 beer.
really like how you can run this thing continuosly to the bars for miles and miles. mxz 600 struggled behind me and used most of a tank to my 3 gal

The whole point of going to the 1.25" Predator is to gain some off trail capability w/o messing up your trail ride. The paddle/lug design on the Predator will push you forward more efficiently in the soft stuff. Depending on trail conditons it may or may not bite better. Where it won't bite as well is side to side in the corners, but stabilty isn't really an issue with a 144" IMO.

How about this for a deal? For $200 you can try it, if you don't like it and return it in the same condition, I'll give you your money back. I have some red Yamaha Mountain Skis you can try, too. I'd throw em' on my FX but it's blue.

Of all the years to go back to a 121", I pick this year, I really miss the 136" and 144" tracks.

Back