• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Making the RX1M Better

Clyder6R

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha Viper MTX 153 McXpress 190 kit
So fellas, i'm really trying not to buy a new sled. But i also love my RX1M. I spent some seat time over the weekend on a new viper MTX 153...it's got me thinking haha

Looking for more ways to make it better.

Here's what i have done so far:

-relocated the steering 4.5" further forward.
- Apex seat
- Apex rad and fan

Now here's what I'm thinking on doing and need some help

Lowering the engagement of the clutch. It engages at 4k rpm, i would like to lower that. I find when i stop in the powder i get stuck since it hooks and spins the track. Could be rider mod needed as well.

I am also looking to get some more turning out of it, im not sure if moving the steering has caused me to loose a bit or what. I;m going to tear it apart over the summer and make some adjustment.

Going to throw a new set of skis on it as well. I have the stock skis with a 8" ski skin on them currently, and find they don't dig enough when counter steering the sled. Any advice on which brands??

Looking at doing a new seat cover and 2" taller foam or potentially going to a Skinz apex seat.

Going to change the riser up, need another 4", i'm bent to far over when standing up. Considering going to just a block or a pivot riser.

Also where do you guys run your skids? Im currently on the upper hole in the rear. I find over the weekend i was getting hung up on my belly and running boards.

Upgrading the running boards, whos got the best ones and what are your opinions on deleting the rear cooler and running board coolers? Or maybe keeping the rear cooler and bypassing the running board ones.

MAYBE a new skid, maybe

Going to do some suspension mods, stiffer springs all around i bottom out on the larger trail bumps, it's also got 27,000 on it so its probably time for a rebuild.

What else am i missing and is it worth it?? Chime in folks, i know there was some sweet RX1Ms kicking around. I love the 4 cyl engine and i'd hate to move on from it.

well, you could pm kirkswim and ask him about his drag n' fly set up. he did the same set-up on my apex xtx and it made a big difference in low speed handling/engagement rpm.

you could try a used set of apex/nitro/phazer mtx skis if you can find a set. there are lighter aftermarket ones but i like what these do for me on my sleds.

Thanks for the reply, i'll shoot him a pm. As goes the skis i am on the hunt for a set, they are hard to find and quite expensive new. I may cave and end up with a new MTX but i wouldn't be selling this RX1 so its worth doing some things for it. Who knows RX1 in a procross chassis...

i thought i saw a set of mtx skis in the classifieds here recently.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/for-those-thinking-about-a-rx1-and-are-scared.128582/

This was a pretty good overview on what I did to mine. Has the skinz Apex seat on it.
20151230_135802 (2).jpg

thats exactly what i have in mind for mine, tide me over until i find a SW or viper MTX in 2 years haha

So fellas, i'm really trying not to buy a new sled. But i also love my RX1M. I spent some seat time over the weekend on a new viper MTX 153...it's got me thinking haha

Looking for more ways to make it better.

Here's what i have done so far:

-relocated the steering 4.5" further forward.
- Apex seat
- Apex rad and fan

Now here's what I'm thinking on doing and need some help

Lowering the engagement of the clutch. It engages at 4k rpm, i would like to lower that. I find when i stop in the powder i get stuck since it hooks and spins the track. Could be rider mod needed as well.

I am also looking to get some more turning out of it, im not sure if moving the steering has caused me to loose a bit or what. I;m going to tear it apart over the summer and make some adjustment.

Going to throw a new set of skis on it as well. I have the stock skis with a 8" ski skin on them currently, and find they don't dig enough when counter steering the sled. Any advice on which brands??

Looking at doing a new seat cover and 2" taller foam or potentially going to a Skinz apex seat.

Going to change the riser up, need another 4", i'm bent to far over when standing up. Considering going to just a block or a pivot riser.

Also where do you guys run your skids? Im currently on the upper hole in the rear. I find over the weekend i was getting hung up on my belly and running boards.

Upgrading the running boards, whos got the best ones and what are your opinions on deleting the rear cooler and running board coolers? Or maybe keeping the rear cooler and bypassing the running board ones.

MAYBE a new skid, maybe

Going to do some suspension mods, stiffer springs all around i bottom out on the larger trail bumps, it's also got 27,000 on it so its probably time for a rebuild.

What else am i missing and is it worth it?? Chime in folks, i know there was some sweet RX1Ms kicking around. I love the 4 cyl engine and i'd hate to move on from it.
How do you get an Apex seat to fit an RX1 mountani

there are instructions on here in the rx section on how to do it but it only involves trimming the gas tank shroud and swaping in the rx wiring harness.

Back