• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Man I LOVE the Winder!

KnappAttack

24X ISR World Drag Racing Champion
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE
2017 Sidewinder LTX-LE
We have the best early winter conditions and trails I have ever seen here in our neck of the woods, and I gotta say, I really love this 17 LE of mine. Had the shock re-freshed this year, put a new track and studs on, went thru it front to back and it is so finely tweaked and perfected and just stellar! It's so fricking fast, rides and handles so well and is just not showing any wear or degradation at all. I did order up the Mainway Solutions bell crank bushing kit as I am seeing a bit of play in the steering from the stock bellcrank bushings, but that is it. If this was a Doo, all the suspension bushings would be junk, the seat foam would be shot, it's ride would degrade, even after a shock refresh. This machine actually has been trying at times with belts, rollers, consistent performance etc, there was a period in time I would have drove over it with a dozer and crushed it, sort of a love-hate thing, but now that I have it fully sorted, I couldn't be happier with it. Did I mention its FAST, handles and rides so well? LOL!

IMO its the ultimate go fast trail weapon. I've built many fast trail machines over my years, and been searching for the one thats "just right", I've built many turbo sleds from RX-1's, Apex's, 1100 Z1's, 1100 Turbo ProCross and many turbo 1200 Doos. I feel like this is finally the best of the best, and the one that really makes me happy to throw a leg over. The other sleds were all to much this or that, or too little to too much in some department or another, none of them were what I'd consider perfect, or "just right" to me. The Simons Apex turbo I had was fast, but too heavy and didn't handle. The Doos were fast and rode well, but wouldn't handle how I wanted, and had heavy steering when the skis were on the ground. The 1200 was good, but all that power made it a handful to control. This Winder is just the right combo that can handle the power properly and bring you back home everyday. I don't think I can send it down the road and move to the new SRX. Its like having a machine that you've grown attached to. I just love this machine!

I know many others here feel the same way about their 998's now that the teething problems are in the rearview, or hopefully they are.

Thank you to Cat/Yamaha for bringing it to market, and thanks for the aftermarket for bringing all the fix's and power too it as well. It's certainly the best trail weapon ever produced to date for the go fast crowd.

Well said Mike......great post!!

Great post. Love it. My SW journey has just begun. All of the issues are fixable - learning from others and making the improvements is fun (for me anyway!] and for sure adds to ownership experience. Its all about that motor….

If the weather co-operates I plan to start putting on miles week after next and can hardly wait. Just a few more tweaks to go before I let the big dog eat.

I am of the same opinion as Mike. My SW is by far the best sled I have ever owned and after addressing the known gremlins before I ever rode the sled, it is also the most reliable sled I have ever owned. To think these sleds are up to 300 hp on pump gas and gas and go is crazy.

We have the best early winter conditions and trails I have ever seen here in our neck of the woods, and I gotta say, I really love this 17 LE of mine. Had the shock re-freshed this year, put a new track and studs on, went thru it front to back and it is so finely tweaked and perfected and just stellar! It's so fricking fast, rides and handles so well and is just not showing any wear or degradation at all. I did order up the Mainway Solutions bell crank bushing kit as I am seeing a bit of play in the steering from the stock bellcrank bushings, but that is it. If this was a Doo, all the suspension bushings would be junk, the seat foam would be shot, it's ride would degrade, even after a shock refresh. This machine actually has been trying at times with belts, rollers, consistent performance etc, there was a period in time I would have drove over it with a dozer and crushed it, sort of a love-hate thing, but now that I have it fully sorted, I couldn't be happier with it. Did I mention its FAST, handles and rides so well? LOL!

IMO its the ultimate go fast trail weapon. I've built many fast trail machines over my years, and been searching for the one thats "just right", I've built many turbo sleds from RX-1's, Apex's, 1100 Z1's, 1100 Turbo ProCross and many turbo 1200 Doos. I feel like this is finally the best of the best, and the one that really makes me happy to throw a leg over. The other sleds were all to much this or that, or too little to too much in some department or another, none of them were what I'd consider perfect, or "just right" to me. The Simons Apex turbo I had was fast, but too heavy and didn't handle. The Doos were fast and rode well, but wouldn't handle how I wanted, and had heavy steering when the skis were on the ground. The 1200 was good, but all that power made it a handful to control. This Winder is just the right combo that can handle the power properly and bring you back home everyday. I don't think I can send it down the road and move to the new SRX. Its like having a machine that you've grown attached to. I just love this machine!

I know many others here feel the same way about their 998's now that the teething problems are in the rearview, or hopefully they are.

Thank you to Cat/Yamaha for bringing it to market, and thanks for the aftermarket for bringing all the fix's and power too it as well. It's certainly the best trail weapon ever produced to date for the go fast crowd.

Quite an endorsement coming from your background/experience. Despite the niggling issues, despite the frustration of those issues being both obvious and still not 'fixed' its a great machine.

Could not say it better. Have a new srx I am leaving stock and a 17 hurricane tcat at 290. I want for no more. Love them both

Mike we hit your trails last Sunday. It was sure nice to see good snow and trails. The scenery was awesome. We went from Northfield to Hay Creek and back. Headed back next weekend again. I love my 2017 Rtx le. It pulls and pulls so fun.

I could not agree more ! However, the power steering does add a new dimension to the mix.

I have to say I concur with your feelings as well. My winder has been nothing short of perfect. No adding 2s oil, 15mpg, and plenty of power. I've enjoyed the feeling of meeting new peeps and bar racing in stock form. (Favorite!!)
I'm also greatful to having a forum of knowledgeable people to help me with maintenance & upgrades.

Always thankful!!!

Pic from last week. Don't miss it one bit.

IMG_20230102_142633523_copy_1536x2048.jpg

I think at this point fixes need to become become maintenance items, and that's fine for what we get.
Before I made the jump and bought RockerDan’s RTX I had a long run of Apex quality and reliability.we put ridiculous miles on our 4 07 attacks. I asked Glen, better known as Flecer and he basically said exactly what you just posted it’s part of routine maintenance now and we just make sure we service the week spots and actually there’s not that many or that much we have to do when you consider we’re running 300 hp machines and we can run them hard into junk trails and still walk normally when we get off the machine lol .It is the greatest combination we’ve ever experienced ,high performance with a chassis that soaks up The bumps like they don’t even exist and handles like a Formula One racer.after he talked to me off the ledge I not only bought RockerDan’s rocket but I bought Glen’s monster 3 years later. I feel like a kid again and I can’t wait to get out and ride

Back