• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

mc-xpress 2004 turbo kit

On the topic of eliminating the exhaust:
Turbos hate backpressure. Back pressure is caused by a restricted exhaust system. The very first thing you do to a turbo engine to both make more power and increase spool up (decrease lag), is to put a larger diameter downpipe and exhaust. It is also prefered to use a mandrel bent system and keep the bends to a minimum. This is why import tuners have the huge exhausts we make fun of. They actually serve a purpose on the turbo and supercharged cars (most non forced air cars do not gain from this). The best thing to do is to eliminate the exhaust altogether. Idealy, a short distance between the turbo and the engine, along with eliminating the exhaust altogether, and keeping under hood temps down by locating the turbo in an ideal locationn is the perfect combination. Easily said but much harder to accomplish in a machine like a snowmobile.

One last note on lag. You may not want full boost on a launch. If you cant put it to the ground, it is useless. Many racers use electronic boost and nitrous controllers to bring boost on gradually and then taper it off on the top. If your spinning the track for the first 60 feet, your race is already over.

First thing occured to me is the cost savings of not having to replace the stock fuel tank with a very labour intensive fab aluminum one. Where I live, having the stock muffler is also mandatory for trail legal spec.
Couple of things to consider...
R :roll:

I'll answer each statement

1) MUCH less heat in the engine compartment.
2) Better air charge cooling.
3) Less front end weight.
4) Eliminates exhaust giving better overall weight savings.
5) Ease of install.
6) Ease of service.
7) No loss of fuel capacity.

1. we haven't had any issue with heat in the engine compartment

2. our intake temps are inline with everyones

3. the front end of the sled weights less then it did before I started.

4. We've eliminated the stock ehaust system. Are exhaust weighs 9 pounds complete.

5. Our install is the easiest

6. Our service is the easyies.

7. we use the stock gas tank.

we have had zero issue getting it to the ground and comming out of the hole like Mad

turbo lag

I watched a bender turbo run last spring several runs on a frozen lake, it had a bad lag unless he had it rolling at the line before he hit the throttle,most of the hot trail sleds would pull it out of the hole 2 or three lengths,and then he would catch them approx 700' and run by them. I do not like turbo lag,its like a bad bog a real pain in the #*$&@, on the trail,I bought a mc express turbo,I think the lag will be alot less if any at all,because of the turbo location close to the motor.

licketysplit, the situation you describe about the Bender turbo system is a poor install or poor setup & tuning. These systems have nomore lag than any other.

So everyone should just push your particular favorite system and quit bashing everything else that you have not even ridden :!:

Re: turbo lag

LICKETY SPLIT said:
I watched a bender turbo run last spring several runs on a frozen lake, it had a bad lag unless he had it rolling at the line before he hit the throttle,most of the hot trail sleds would pull it out of the hole 2 or three lengths,and then he would catch them approx 700' and run by them. I do not like turbo lag,its like a bad bog a real pain in the butt, on the trail,I bought a mc express turbo,I think the lag will be alot less if any at all,because of the turbo location close to the motor.

Lickety,

MXZ is right. When setup properly The lag is VERY, VERY minimal. As with any turbo, aftermaket part, or sled, tuning is critical. When I first installed my Bender it seemed to have some pretty bad lag cause it just didn't hit hard. However, now that I have worked on clutching I am engaging just barely over 4000 it's hitting hard and I am well into boost before I can even get good traction. Is there lag? I guess, but like I have been saying it pretty mutch nonexistent.

Back