• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Melting plastic smell after slide replacement

Ridgehunter

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha venture
Ok everyone,last year after tbe season I replaced my slides on my venture multi-purpose,this weekend was the first time running,well on my way out about 3 miles into the trip I could smell plastic,definetly had enough snow for lubrication. I'm guessing my track must be to tight, tere was alot of plastic shaveings along the slides,I did loosen track to make it easier to remove and install the slides and watched a youtube video on how to adjust the track but something I did isn't right,well I'm probably replacing the slides again this week before a trip in two weeks,could someone tell me the proper way to adjust the track. Thanks in advance everyone.

After reading some posts some peole say it normal for this until there broken in,is this true

Probably the track is too tight. When I bought mine at 800km, the slides were worn through at the front curve and the track was tight as a drum skin. I added larger idler wheels as well as marginal snow wheels at the spot in the front curve. I did this years before the Dupont slides, which nowadays may be cheaper than changing all the wheels and the marginal snow wheel kit.

I would also check to make sure the track clips are in decent shape

Thanks Moose ordered dome Dupont slides,seems like the cheap OEM ones don't like the Yamaha,how much sag do you adjust your track to,I think I did 1 inch at 20lb pressure when I changed these last spring.

I think I had 1" at 0 lbs pressure. it's better to run it loose but not so loose it ratchets.

Mine sags close to an inch without weight. You will love your Dupont slides!

On mine, whatever the spec is for sag with the 20# weight, I just use that same spec without the weight and using the white slides I get good life from the slides. Have over 3000 km on current set with lots of life still on them (not even close to being near the wear line). Also have the marginal snow wheels at the front curve as Mooseman has noted.

Back