• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Michigan DNR conservation officers to enhance snowmobile noise enforcement this winter

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Apex SE
2012 Vector (wifes)
lL904dZPK6r-TmReRCHqQ1QDdd8pvdg-hfq8jUhXKn8_YWKg_2EZBGulHEibforIiDPQSyjSE6K28vgAkrHZhVcxIH_NfLjHriu39-rf2Hhu4w8U_wi-4YdNpLLqTyp2V6ZvRa8vgvxr-pVqG7tlGX4nfpwhiELCsnPDLMfs=s0-d-e1-ft

Statewide DNR News

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dec. 7, 2015

DNR conservation officers to enhance snowmobile noise enforcement this winter
Noncompliance could damage Michigan’s nationally recognized trail system
Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers will be enhancing statewide efforts to enforce snowmobile decibel level rules this winter. Noncompliance of the rules could damage Michigan’s nationally recognized trail system because 50 percent of trails pass through private land.

Enhanced efforts will focus on the DNR-managed trail systems, high-use areas and areas where complaints are received. While on routine patrol, conservation officers also will conduct decibel-level testing of snowmobiles.

The penalty for violating the sound levels for snowmobiles is a civil infraction, with fines up to $250.

“Conservation officers are stepping up decibel-level enforcement to ensure snowmobilers are in compliance with state law and acceptable noise levels,” said Cpl. John Morey, who oversees the snowmobile safety and education program within the DNR Law Enforcement Division. “In addition to the operator’s legal ramifications of operating a loud snowmobile, this excessive noise has consequences that can affect other snowmobilers, including the loss of popular snowmobile trails.”

Morey noted that Michigan’s vast snowmobile trail system is the result of partnerships with private landowners who, through annual permits between the landowners and snowmobile clubs, open portions of their land for snowmobile trails.

“Without this partnership, the expansive, interconnected trail system enjoyed by thousands of snowmobilers each year wouldn’t exist,” Morey said. “When snowmobilers behave unethically or illegally, private land owners can and have opted out of signing another annual agreement, and the trail is closed. A reason for this includes excessive noise.”

Rc54LFS77fuO-EIH0XrwGQPO1Hp0OeL7to1bTI6sVkF0SNxsR9lsq3Q8ZgV27vTeBhiGR4PRo4Og-0B0-vVuzw4c8WC_BDw8DuuXCr53ONEfcloqRw6yIZZvQasCjSYLqZT6lsItmEnCKYj80gs2mdxahBTzGFvdlM-8z4pz7JE=s0-d-e1-ft
When a snowmobile leaves the factory, it is in compliance with legal decibel levels. If a snowmobile’s exhaust or muffler requires service, the DNR recommends that the repair be done with Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts for that specific snowmobile. Deviation from this repair recommendation, or modifying the exhaust or muffler, could result in the operator being in violation of state law.

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and, when in constant operation, noise emission cannot exceed the following levels:

• For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1977, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 78 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J192.
  • For a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980, and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.
More than 6,200 miles of designated snowmobile trails are located throughout state-managed forests, national forests and privately owned lands. Michigan is one of only three states that offer a large system of interconnected snowmobile trails.

For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, including current laws and regulations, go to www.michigan.gov/snowmobiling.

Michigan conservation officers are fully commissioned state peace officers who provide natural resources protection, ensure recreational safety and protect citizens by providing general law enforcement duties and lifesaving operations in the communities they serve. Learn more about Michigan conservation officers atwww.michigan.gov/conservationofficers.

/Note to editors: An accompanying photo of a snowmobile user enjoying Michigan trails is available below for download./

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural and cultural resources for current and future generations. For more information, go to www.michigan.gov/dnr.

MANAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS | UNSUBSCRIBE ALL | CONTACT US | FEEDBACK | HELP

Well hopefully I don't run across any then because my sled is LOUD!

There our checking snowmobiles at 4000 RPM my sled engages at 3500 RPM.i called and talked to DNR ! This is what he told me.

I don't throttle jockey like many of 2-smokes -- Braaaaaaappppppp. I passed many DNR last year without an issue.

Sleds like the Apex,Nytro and Vector are louder stock than a 2-smoke .exhaust exits at the thigh ,not pointing down ..a new Viper is quieter than a Nytro.

4-7 sleds stock going by at 6000rpm makes noise.i own a DB meter ,but I'm sure it's not like DNR meter ...I'm a MSA member ,and do care ,but I'm running my sled as is sorry.

$250 is far too cheap... Make it hurt a little more. $1000 for the first infraction, second one they confiscate your sled on the spot. Having lived next to a trail for a while, nothing pisses me off more than some annoying kid ripping through after dark. It really does get old after a while.

It really depends on how much you actually respect others. If you really don't care about anyone else in the world, go ahead, run loud pipes. Landowners have the final say, so don't complain when the trails disappear. Don't like it? Buy your own 40 acres and stay on your own property.

Well I think this is awesome. As a property owner in Lake County only 400 ft from the trail, it is very irritating to hear the extra loud and useless bark of 4s sleds or the scream of piped 2s's. The extra noise produces nothing in performance. Stay off the trail if you want to race. Al

I think mine sounds pretty healthy stock... Why the hell would I want to change that????

The Apex in particular is loud enough. My ears usually rang after a day of riding that machine. Moving to the viper was nice because the tone is lower. Still a bit loud stock for my liking, but a bit better than the Apex. I hope the trail turbo doesn't add too much noise from both an irritation and law standpoint.

$250 is far too cheap... Make it hurt a little more. $1000 for the first infraction, second one they confiscate your sled on the spot. Having lived next to a trail for a while, nothing pisses me off more than some annoying kid ripping through after dark. It really does get old after a while.

It really depends on how much you actually respect others. If you really don't care about anyone else in the world, go ahead, run loud pipes. Landowners have the final say, so don't complain when the trails disappear. Don't like it? Buy your own 40 acres and stay on your own property.

Yes far too cheap!! They should take there trail pass too!!

As toomanytoys mentioned.....there is a difference between someone just riding thru and someone being a throttle jockey.

Now, I have mine modded with a header and muffler combo from EVO. Does that make me a bad person....even tho the decible level is legal? No it doesn't! I will be contacting the DNR and asking them about different exhaust. You can put on aftermarket exhaust and still be legal for decible readings.

I have 2 decible meters, 1 from work which is calibrated every 12 months, my own personal one and have done my testing up close and even far away. My exhaust is within 2-3 decibles of stock and is still legal.

Last edited:
It's all bullshit. Easy ticket to fight.
Sound is discretionary. The environment is not controlled when you are standing on the trail.
There is no way to consistently check sleds unless you where in a proper studio.

Just for a reference, the 88 db @ 13.1ft doesn't leave much for a rear exhaust sled, especially if you use turnout since the test is done to the side. I had my Phazer with an Ultra Q checked at the offroad park near my house with an expensive calibrated meter and it was right at 87-88dbs using the prescribed testing method, my cheap Radio shack meter showed 90db both on the turnout side. Opposite the turnout the sound dropped 4db on both and even straight back it was down 2db VS being on the turnout side. If my sled with the quite skins is right at the limit there are A LOT of sleds out there that won't pass. I totally agree with the noise limits too, I live 1/8th mile from a crossing.

Again, there is no way this can hold up in court. There are too many variables to the test. Trees, snow, concrete, weather, etc, etc....It's a discretionary charge.

Well sad with all the variables involved.
That a member on this site would want another member who rides respectfully (not wrap-wrap) all day.
And might show 1-2 DB over on that day and conditions- that you would want that member HIT with a $1000.00 fine.
SHAME ON YOU FOR WISHING SUCH A THING.
I have like everyone seen and heard many OBNOXIOUS sleds.
But with rear dual exhaust and not pointed down I would be concerned about loosing $250. That I sure can't afford.
Please be CAREFUL about wishing BAD on folks, cause you may be next and DON'T you DARE cry for help.

I may be wrong but...I doubt anyone is going to get a ticket for a couple DB's over the limit, they are looking for the LOUD ones. It's possible, but as stated here there are variables and the officers know that. It would be like giving someone a ticket on the Eway for 3-4 MPH over the limit and that never happens. Someone might want to call a DNR friend who can shed some real light on this.

Back