• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Midwest guys......

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
Where do you like to ride? And what makes it special for you?

I've not yet ridden outside of the state of Michigan, but there are a few things that make it special.

At home in SW michigan, it's easy. Nothing special, but its a ride without a long trip if there is snow.

I grew up in the northern lower. I'm getting my kids into it and riding the same trails and doing the same trips I did as a kid, thats special!

When I get to the UP the quality of the trails and some awesome sights (Tahquamenon falls, Lake superior, etc) make it special

Very cool to be riding your out stomping grounds with your boy. Right?

I spent most of my time in St. Germain area, on 2 strokes. Kinda looking for places to ride with more wide open spaces. Lol!

We ride Northern Wisconsin every weekend, Base camp is Minocqua, Minocqua is the center of our riding area, trails from there go all directions, and only 4 hrs from Home in Illinois.

We ride Northern Wisconsin every weekend, Base camp is Minocqua, Minocqua is the center of our riding area, trails from there go all directions, and only 4 hrs from Home in Illinois.

When I said St. Germain. I stay in Minocqua, truthfully. I'm in northern, IL as well. So, 4hrs to the white is what it takes me.
The shorter the drive time to get to the white stuff, the better. I've never stayed south of Minocqua.
Minocqua can be really rough on the weekends. 1mile of moguls in the home stretch takes its toll on me. Lol!

I from Western Wisconsin and love riding through chisel plowed fields with low snow conditions! Seriously though, I need to start getting up to the UP... :letsnow:

Welcome to southern MN! Ha I like riding around home, just seems like the weather doesn't want to cooperate the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like riding around Cadillac Michigan. Lots of trails of different types with many destinations and lots of places for food and gas. Most people around here are very glad to see snowmobilers. Also, lots of secondary roads to use if you want to get somewhere fast.

Look up Antigo,Summit Lake,Harrison Hills,Parrish,Gleason and Tomahawk. My favorite ride areas by far something of everything in that ride. Summer or winter. I have gotten threats for talking about them. Seriously! Many would rather the trails stay uncrowded. Also north of Antigo Summit lake and Harrison are known to be colder and more snow than anywhere in WI. I have found that to be true. Only limitation is lodging. It can be hard to find last minute lodging. Had to stay in a bar overnight once! Only costed $20 though.

Look up Antigo,Summit Lake,Harrison Hills,Parrish,Gleason and Tomahawk. My favorite ride areas by far something of everything in that ride. Summer or winter. I have gotten threats for talking about them. Seriously! Many would rather the trails stay uncrowded. Also north of Antigo Summit lake and Harrison are known to be colder and more snow than anywhere in WI. I have found that to be true. Only limitation is lodging. It can be hard to find last minute lodging. Had to stay in a bar overnight once! Only costed $20 though.
Yes the knight owls so a great job.How do they cover them big rocks in the winter time?

When there's snow some of the best riding in the state (IMO) is in the Black River Falls area. It's certainly more open than riding the "curve ahead" twisties that's pretty common in the St. Germain region. One posted suggested the Antigo/Harrison Hills area which has some grip it an rip it stretches. Wausau (eastern side of Hwu 39/51 IMO) has a nice mix of wide open and wooded riding. Heck, NW of Madison has some awesome trails where you can stretch the sled out.

But sometimes these areas don't have enough snow or if they get snow you gotta be ready to go there.

Northern Wi and THE UP! Cabin is just over the border into UP. Just south of Wakefield. But conditions vary ALOT in the UP.
IMO Price county is the BEST groomed trails, and seems to be less pressure.
The Keweenaw Peninsula is my personal FAV
BUT if you want good snow cover that lasts--the UP is where its at

Northern Wi and THE UP! Cabin is just over the border into UP. Just south of Wakefield. But conditions vary ALOT in the UP.
IMO Price county is the BEST groomed trails, and seems to be less pressure.
Kewaunee is my personal FAV
BUT if you want good snow cover that lasts--the UP is where its at

He's looking for more wide open riding. Price Cty. is not the place for that. More "winding trail" signs in that county than anywhere I've ever been! Great place to ride though!

Back