• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Minimum mountain mods

mateo

Extreme
Just curious if the nytro upgraders can comment on the 'minimum' requirements for a sidewinder - if any - to be mountain worthy.

On the nytro 'most' ppl on the forum agreed that you'd need:
Roll over valve
steering relocate
front end (narrower and +3)
lighter rear skid/new skid
turbo

Sure there were more mods, but the above I think was the minimum requirement to change a trenching heavy, underpowered, beast into a machine that rode 'well'.

So is there a list like this for the Sidewinder or is it just ready out of the box?

electronic Roll over valve, front end narrow, rear tunnel support along with different grill for front intercooler would be my must on a sidewinder in the mtns. first mod id do on a sidewinder would be to change that junk plastic blow off valve

Last edited:
The first mod should be protection. Skid plate, chain case protection, also a tether switch. Then more boost with a tune, CAI, exhaust.

Honestly the sidewinder is the first yamaha sled I have yet to touch except for exhaust. It has been phenomenal box stock in the mountains for me. My stock rollover has worked great. I did install a tether kill switch.

Things I want to do is a cold air intake as I do get some oil in airbox periodically that ends up dripping on the belt causing it to blow. Happened only once but can see it happening again. I would like to try an alpha skid maybe, but I find this sled really easy to throw around already and it holds an edge quite well on harder snow which the alpha may not. I may try the elevate kit. Seat maybe... Things just to play around with but really does not need. More cause I like to build and mod sleds and the sidewinder has been boring in that department cause it works so good. It has blown my Nytro and Viper mountain builds out of the water. Despite it being heavier than my Nytro (576 lbs RTR) and Viper (599 lbs RTR), it is far less tiring and goes far more places and I rarely get stuck like I used to. It just works.

The mods that I have made that made the sled perform better. Change the spring in the front skid to a 160lb, remove the stock muffler and install a cr racing resonator. Its louder than I want but the weight savings is worth it. A true cold air intake that draws air from outside the sled. Most important is a tether kill switch, you dont want the sled running when its upside down. I also put on a front end kit that moved the skis froward 5", worth every penny spent, it handles much better. I'm done modding sleds, I dont like spending 20K on a new sled and then having to throw another 5K+ at it just to make it capable. This sled was good out of the box. Minimum upgrades would be tether and front skid shock spring.

The mods that I have made that made the sled perform better. Change the spring in the front skid to a 160lb, remove the stock muffler and install a cr racing resonator. Its louder than I want but the weight savings is worth it. A true cold air intake that draws air from outside the sled. Most important is a tether kill switch, you dont want the sled running when its upside down. I also put on a front end kit that moved the skis froward 5", worth every penny spent, it handles much better. I'm done modding sleds, I dont like spending 20K on a new sled and then having to throw another 5K+ at it just to make it capable. This sled was good out of the box. Minimum upgrades would be tether and front skid shock spring.
whee did you get the front end forward mount for the skiis? and the stiffer front skid shock?

the front end kit is from Barcode Performance and the front skid shock is from Z bros.

Having a hard time finding a spring for sidewinder on zbros website

I did find this on eBay is this the recommended spring for MTX

Attachments

• 060E68D3-28DD-49CB-9518-25CAD1EDAF3A.jpeg
    060E68D3-28DD-49CB-9518-25CAD1EDAF3A.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 84
Having a hard time finding a spring for sidewinder on zbros website

I did find this on eBay is this the recommended spring for MTX
im usually a trail guy but im dabbling with mountain stuff. you may like the stingray spring if you cant find the zbroz one. i have one and i like it

Back