• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Missing coolant??

RIKMAN

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Srx
Anyone having to refill coolant tank after each ride. Got 1200 miles on new SRX. The last 3 rides, i had to refill the tank after each ride. No leaks visible and went through all clamps. I’m assuming air was trapped in tunnel cooler from factory.

Probably trapped air. Take the hood off. With the sled on flat ground, stand on right running board, grab bars and roll sled to the right. Once it comes up, push down on the running board and slowly lean it as far as you can without putting it on the ground and slowly set it back up. You will hear the gurgling in the back of the sled if there is air. Check the fluid level under the pressure cap, top it off, repeat till it doesn't drop any more in the system after leaning it over. Had to do this about 10 times before I got it all out. I had to drain it completly because I had to fix a hole in the front heat exchanger from a thrown stud. The way the coolant lines run, when you lean it to the right, the thermostat housing where the pressure cap is, becomes the high spot and air can run to it.

Probably trapped air. Take the hood off. With the sled on flat ground, stand on right running board, grab bars and roll sled to the right. Once it comes up, push down on the running board and slowly lean it as far as you can without putting it on the ground and slowly set it back up. You will hear the gurgling in the back of the sled if there is air. Check the fluid level under the pressure cap, top it off, repeat till it doesn't drop any more in the system after leaning it over. Had to do this about 10 times before I got it all out. I had to drain it completly because I had to fix a hole in the front heat exchanger from a thrown stud. The way the coolant lines run, when you lean it to the right, the thermostat housing where the pressure cap is, becomes the high spot and air can run to it.

Thanks, will give it a try.

check the oil, that's where the antifreeze is probably going. head gasket or cracked block.

Oil looks good, runs fine and no white smoke comming from exhaust.

Mine also need coolant the first thousand miles or so. It has since stopped needing any coolant added. I think they just have air in them and need topped off when new. If it doesn't stop needing coolant shortly, then I'd start looking for other issues.

2 things to check....

Air lock, not properly bled at factory....

Or

A worse scenario, that has been seen a couple times. This will show up in oil tank as mentioned above. If your oil tank is way high that is the worse case scenario, better hope the engine is not tuned if you want warranty.

Dan

Mine also need coolant the first thousand miles or so. It has since stopped needing any coolant added. I think they just have air in them and need topped off when new. If it doesn't stop needing coolant shortly, then I'd start looking for other issues.

Thanks Knapp..
I'll keep a close eye on it. Hope its that simple..

2 things to check....

Air lock, not properly bled at factory....

Or

A worse scenario, that has been seen a couple times. This will show up in oil tank as mentioned above. If your oil tank is way high that is the worse case scenario, better hope the engine is not tuned if you want warranty.

Dan

Dan, oil level is ok and no coolant mixed with oil. Running TD SM Jukebox.(MS16 most of the time). The sled works great, never did overheat.

We just did this dance with a friends Sidewinder.
After putting a florescent die in the antifreeze, he found that the HEADS HAVE POROSITY!!
They leak when hot and under pressure. The coolant goes into the cylinders and wreaks havoc on the pistons.
Even though the motor passed coolant pressure testing, it will still leak when hot and running down the trail.
You won't find coolant in the oil because it is leaking into the cylinders.
Yamaha gave him a brand new motor under warranty and over-nighted the old motor back to the factory!

We just did this dance with a friends Sidewinder.
After putting a florescent die in the antifreeze, he found that the HEADS HAVE POROSITY!!
They leak when hot and under pressure. The coolant goes into the cylinders and wreaks havoc on the pistons.
Even though the motor passed coolant pressure testing, it will still leak when hot and running down the trail.
You won't find coolant in the oil because it is leaking into the cylinders.
Yamaha gave him a brand new motor under warranty and over-nighted the old motor back to the factory!

Sure hope it’s only trapped air..

Check all your hose clamps for tightness and seeping coolant. Even remove the charge tube's/intake tube's, tube from air filter to turbo and check every single hose clamp which carries coolant under that one. I sure you'll find a couple loose ones under there. It's a bit of a job, yes, but almost guaranteed a few are loose.

We have a couple of reports that when antifreeze is missing it's ending up in the oil reservoir.
That may be true, and very possible but the OP already said his oil level is good and no signs of water.
I'm just giving an alternative that we actually had happen.
Yamaha was so worried about the leaky casting that they over nighted the motor to Japan. BIG $$$$$$

Back