• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Missing the Winter but..

West Charleston Vermont (Canadian bordor)
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RS Vector
Hello members just thought i'd check in with you guys, i'm sure a lot of you members are in the warm air of summer! by now like myself i have been starting the 05 Vector up once every couple of weeks just to keep everything lubricated and running smoothly. However in late August i am going to pull the motor and do the the Timing belt tension-er along with the exhaust donuts. Please let me know if there is anything i will need for this job special tools etc.. , or anything else i should check while the motor is out.

Take care Winter will be back before ya know it!!

Chris

I'm always thinking of sledding. No need to pull motor out for either of those jobs, doughnuts are under gas tank, and tensioner is on front of motor

Make sure you read the sticky above - lots of good info there.

Tensioner is at the rear of the motor, unless it was different for the 05 models, but you still don't need to remove it. As pdiddy said, all the info on changing the chain tensioner is in there. Depending on your mileage, you may also want to s check your valve clearance if you are removing you motor. Also, replace the donuts with the copper alloy ones. Also, check all the rivets in your tunnel, especially the ones holding the exhaust bracket in place.

Unless you're letting it run for 15 minutes, you'll have to replace your spark-plugs as well.
I'll never start mine in the off season again, as there is no need too.

You just need to let it run until the heat exchangers are hot to touch. I also start mine every few weeks, as it solves the hard start issues later on if you don't. I have over 40,000 kms on my sled. Changed the original plugs after 5,000 kms to iridium tipped plugs(good for 100,000 miles), have never changed them since, runs like a top.

I don't start my tractor lawnmowers, backhoe, or motorcycles in the winter, so why start your sled in the summer?

I don't start my tractor lawnmowers, backhoe, or motorcycles in the winter, so why start your sled in the summer?
I agree biggest concern to me is your engine does not get up proper engine temperature. this could lead to moisture left in engine causing rust but everyone has there own idea on this. Stabil or no stabil

yes but sleds sit allot longer than those. they all have long seasons the sled gets 2 maybe 3 months of use. I like to start mine a few times in the off season and let it run for about 20 mins keeping an eye on the temp. this allows for full engine temp battery recovery and keeps things lubed up in the motor. I also care more about the sled then the lawn mower. To each there own.

I agree, unfortunately, this engine with the three carbs loses all its fuel in the system after about three weeks making it hard on the engine to start it(which also with fuel evaporation can gum up the carbs). So to combat this easily, if you are able to start your sled about every three weeks, this may prevent a lot of issues people are having with their carbs and starting issues come sledding season.

and all that stress on the starter trying to start it when the season arrives. I start my Vector every 30 days. I have never had to clean the carbs in the 12 years I have owned it. Just keep the gas flowing monthly through the carbs.

and all that stress on the starter trying to start it when the season arrives. I start my Vector every 30 days. I have never had to clean the carbs in the 12 years I have owned it. Just keep the gas flowing monthly through the carbs.
I agree i think that's the best way to keep everything flowing, a machine that sits like that i don't see any harm in this.. Your from Eden i see i used to run to Hyde Park everyday when i drove truck out there for Casella, that ride on 100 is great, but not in winter though take care Chris

Older post but I fog mine every spring after a good dose of Seafoam is run through the system. Once the fog causes the engine to stall, I syphon out as much gas as possible and throw it in my truck. The rest of the sled is summerized (greased, oil/filter change, waxed, etc) then put on my lift and forgotten about until the fall.
Once fall arrives, I purchase new gas, apply pressure on the vent tube and it fires right up. No need to fire it up over the summer once fogged and syphoned. It works for me and has for years, but each to their own.

Attachments

• IMG_0161 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0161 (Large).JPG
    114 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1331 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1331 (Large).JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 97
As mentioned on this site I blow in the vent tube works like a dream.

Older post but I fog mine every spring after a good dose of Seafoam is run through the system. Once the fog causes the engine to stall, I syphon out as much gas as possible and throw it in my truck. The rest of the sled is summerized (greased, oil/filter change, waxed, etc) then put on my lift and forgotten about until the fall.
Once fall arrives, I purchase new gas, apply pressure on the vent tube and it fires right up. No need to fire it up over the summer once fogged and syphoned. It works for me and has for years, but each to their own.
Yes, running it out of gas is the way to do it!! Why I say this, is because I took the carbs off of my 2008 vector, and there was no gas in the bottom of the bowls in the carbs. I know some people say there is still gas left in the bottom of the carbs, not the case with my sled at least. When I saw how clean the carbs where, I said do they even need cleaning? They where that clean!! I blew every thing out just to be on the safe side though, haha. But yeah, blowing air into the gas tank through the breather line, makes it very easy to start. 15 seconds of cranking max for it to get going. After about 5 seconds of cranking, I stop, blow a lot of air into the gas tank, crank on it for another 5 seconds, stop repeat the steps. For my sled it only take 15 seconds of cranking, when it is completely dry, which is not that bad. Btw Irv your 40th vector is pretty sweet!! Wish I had the 40th plastic on my 2008 vector ltx gt. Oh, and the gold shocks of course. ;)!

Back