1. We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.
    Dismiss Notice

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

Discussion in 'Mod Results' started by Sled Dog, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Sled Dog

Sled Dog Lifetime Member Lifetime VIP Member VIP Member

Maybe some others will chime in but I think your plugs are burning good in fact real good. What color are the inside of your pipes? Black or light brown or tan?

2. stomper

stomper TY 4 Stroke Master

you mean tail pipes. Not sure, I haven't realy looked at them since the mod but they were pretty black before. I will check tomorrow.

3. Sled Dog

4. stomper

This is where I'm at with this mod on a 2003 rx1 136" track
    I have 165 main jets, 17 pilot jets, cr10ek plugs and yellow carb springs. Had the stock ones in also and they work fine, I just had the yellows and thats what it called for so I put them in. The sled is running great and is pulling realy strong. Plugs are burning nice. I had spoke with sled dog and he told me to open up the air box slowly until I get the plugs looking good because I was using 165 mains instead of 170's. I completly lucked out as this was my first try. As far as I know the clutching is stock.

For the bottom of the air box I removed the rubber intake snorkle and opened the existing hole right to the out side edges. I then cut six 1 1/4" holes in the rear of the air box.
    [​IMG]

For the baffle, I thought that the yamaha engineers didn't guess at the size of the existing holes so I opened up each hole on a percentage basis, at least as close as I could. All holes in the baffle were opened up towards the middle of the baffle. The 2 small original holes are 1 1/8" I moved the inside edge towards the center to 2 3/8" total length and drilled a 1 1/4" hole then cleaned up the edges straight. You can see that the holes are not a perfect oval.
    For the big 3" hole I opened it up to 3 15/16" total length towards the middle and drilled a 3" hole, and cleaned up the edges straight. You can see that it is a perfect oval.
    The last hole is originaly 2 3/8". I moved the inside edges towards the middle to a total length of 3 7/16" and drilled a 2 1/8" hole and cleaned up the edges straight. As you can see it in not a perfect oval.
    I cleaned up all the edges with a utility knife to remove all of the frayed plastic left by the hole saw and blew everything with compressed air.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is installed
    [​IMG]

Here are the plugs after about 50km. All plugs look exactly the same. I am not the best at reading plugs but sled dog says they look realy good. Thats good enough for me.
    [​IMG]

5. stomper

Been putting all kinds of miles on since I did this mod and my sled preforms better in every way I am so happy with how hard it pulls and I am extremely happy that I decided to do it. Thanks again Sled Dog for sharing.

6. Sled Dog

Great job on your mod and your very welcome!

7. wpgwarrior

wpgwarrior Expert

air box mod

whats the consensus?? leave the snorkle in and add holes or take it off and open it up more ??

8. stomper

It's all going to depend on what jets you are running. I removed it and opened it up more and drilled more holes. It's going to be a trial and error thing. Just don't open it up too much off the start or it's going to be more error than trial. It's easier to make the holes bigger than it is to make them smaller. Sorry for the very late reply.

9. Sled Dog

He is done his mod and its running good in the garage is waiting for snow to really test it.

10. stomper

11. yamaha1973

yamaha1973 TY 4 Stroke Master

USA
    Snowmobile:
    2014 Viper XTX SE
    I am at 812 ft (about 250m) wondering about what main and pilot jets too use? start with 165 mains and stock 17 pilots? I have stock clutching and cv springs, anything you guys can suggest will help me out alot!

12. Sled Dog

That would be where I would start. To dial it in open the bottom up like we did and then open your baffle gradually thats the one that counts for air intake and go for rides making it work hard checking your plugs after each adjustment of more air. Keep doing this until its dialed in by the color of your plugs. Then work on dialing in your clutching to take advantage of the extra ponies you will be making. Keep things clean clean clean or you will have problems. When opening up your air box avoiding cutting out the little plastic posts that support the air baffle and air filter.

13. stomper

So what is the best way to work on dialing in the clutching for this mod. I have the carbs all dialed in and the sled is running great. If I can get a bit more out of it that would even be better. I beleive that I have stock clutching.

14. SMOKNZ

SMOKNZ Extreme

Guy's,

After some initial problems with this mod and an adjustment of moving a clip this mod worked great, but I have not been able to keep the sled going good for more than 100 miles. I have cleaned the carbs many time and even went back to putting a friend's stock setup on and it worked great. Sled idles great and with light blips of the throttle rev's to 4K perfect. Anything more than about 30% throttle when blipping it causes a stumble and if I peg it the sled will die.

You can follow the link here if you want the history: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=30

Any idea or adjustments I could make? It is dying with throttle so could this be a lean condition? Can I start playing with clip posiitons or idle mixture settings? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm running 165 mains and 20 pilot's

Bill

15. Sled Dog

I did not have to fiddle with my clips at all. Why dont you cover some holes in the bottom of your air box with duct tape to see if it is a lean condition. If that fixes the problem maybe you will need to adjust your clips to give you more fuel or bigger jets are needed.