• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

ditchdweller said:
Hey Sled dog , Thanks for all the great info and pics , just finished your mod on an 04 warrior and 05 rx1 . I must be doing something wrong or perhaps it is an altitude difference , ( 1000 ft or less most of the time ) we have a terrible bog at 6000- 7000 rpm . When I pull the choke out it wants to rip ! stock springs, tried yellows , same thing. # 20 pilots - 170 mains , followed your pics and directions as closely as possible . The carbs and old jets have been cleaned , synced the rack . What are your clips on the needles set at ? mixture screws ? I hope get this figured out soon ,we have an 8 hr ride to Fort Kent planned for Jan 7 . We got real lucky (18 in nice snow for our test and tune rides) ,but dont think my neighbors feel the same way ! Hope someone has some tips for us. Thanks to all on this site for all the great info, entertainment :o| :jump: :yam: :4STroke:

My clips are stock 04 mountain settings never touched them and mixture screws are two turns out. Make certain your airbox is on the carbs correctly mine were trying to come off when I tightend them down. I took the clamps off cleaned everything and siliconed them back in place with new allen head screws. This fixed the problem of the boots trying to slip off when I tightend them down. At a lower elevation you should have less of a lean situation than my set up and I have no bog it pulls hard all the way through. If its not your boots not sitting right look in the airbox once its on to check try plugging some of your holes evenly and go for a rip and see if it improves or gets worse.

Holy crap!! do I feel stupid !!!! So stupid I considered not fessing up to this , but perhaps this might save another poor soul this torture . Today I got done at work a little early ,great ! lets try some of these ideas ,taped up a couple of holes , then a couple more , CRAP !!! NO DICE same thing . Think man think ! how can I be this far off ? I go to the yamaha fiche to see if something might ring a bell , it did , what happened is this when I had looked at this to find out where the main jet was I saw # 28 is called a main jet ,this time on my way down the list I see # 16 is also a main jet .( something I missed before ) I am hope-full but not totally convinced , get my old jet and my magnifying glass and read 75 on it( just like it says in line #28 ) . As soon as I get the time I will correct this error . This is my first sled and my second childhood ,in the 3 years I have owned it I have rebuilt the chain case with reverse ( no problem) the front bushings ( Ulmers oilite ) skid bushings ( pioneer perf kit + relay rod bushings ) all the bearings + poo wheels , 12mm sway bar ,powder hounds and bunch of stuff I cant remember just now , ( its tuff getting old ! ) I tell you this so you dont think '' poor bastard he is in way over his head "" I will let you know how I make out . Thanks guys for the help THE OLD BASTARD ON A BLACK WARRIOR " DITCHDWELLER " (BTY thats longest thing I have typed )

No , what I had done is replaced the #75 jet" the power jet "( listed in the yamaha diagram as a main jet line item #28) with my new # 170 jet ,( line item # 16 is also listed as a main jet) , once I noticed this it all made sense . Got off work early today , changed the parts to the right spots and took a blast down my street and all is well!! This mod feels very strong . I can not wait to get some real seat time on this one , will post results . We have another 04 warrior in our group so we can do some comparison , however I did the same blast on this machine and the modded one sure seemed to pull a lot harder . I guess the moral to this story is that if you are going to use a diagram as a map ,read the whole freekin map ! Sled Dog , wish you were closer , feel like I owe you a couple of cold ones , THANKS for sharing . VERY HAPPY OLD BASTARD ON A BLACK WARRIOR :-o :-o :-o

ditchdweller said:
No , what I had done is replaced the #75 jet" the power jet "( listed in the yamaha diagram as a main jet line item #28) with my new # 170 jet ,( line item # 16 is also listed as a main jet) , once I noticed this it all made sense . Got off work early today , changed the parts to the right spots and took a blast down my street and all is well!! This mod feels very strong . I can not wait to get some real seat time on this one , will post results . We have another 04 warrior in our group so we can do some comparison , however I did the same blast on this machine and the modded one sure seemed to pull a lot harder . I guess the moral to this story is that if you are going to use a diagram as a map ,read the whole freekin map ! Sled Dog , wish you were closer , feel like I owe you a couple of cold ones , THANKS for sharing . VERY HAPPY OLD BASTARD ON A BLACK WARRIOR :-o :-o :-o

LMAO enjoy my friend. I wonder if a few others did the same thing as you because no matter what they did they could not get rid of the 6000 rpm bog. Your going to have to clutch now to take advantage of your new found power. ;)!

Hey sled dog I pmed you earlyer with my results on my 03 rx1 but ill share with everyone first the holes and mesurements are really close to what he suggested I put #170 mains #20 pilots I turned screws out 2 turns I did not change springs or clips I checked plugs they are running alittle rich not bad though my sled runs good like this the only problem I have is it boggs down only when engine is cold when its warm it runs good so ill just let it warm up alittle longer I do live in central wis near oshkosh and I have no idea what elevation I'm at so I can't help there I don't know how much the k&n filter kit is but for this mod it cost $40 for the jets and hour and half into it good cheap HP everyone should do this mod and between the exhaust and intake it sounds cool thanks again sled dog
Ps. Id post pics but I don't know how by the way I also have a set of drag n fly clutch that Turk helped me with if you can put a clutch kit in your sleds also it helps BIG time thanks again Turk hope this helps people out :rocks:

brian73 glad its working for you and yes Turk did my clutch as well and he nailed it first time. You really dont see the full benefit of the mod until you get your clutch done.

So now I guess its time to pick Turks brain . I hope perhaps you might be able to outline a starting point, should one start by just playing with rivets and the like, or buy a kit ? I understand that each machine could be a little different but lets say this is the only mod . My thinking is it would be nice to make these 2 mods at the same time and have all the basic info in one place . 03 to 05 rxs and warriors all carbed ,I know the warrior is heavier and the longer track loads the clutches more but is also geared down 1 tooth . What is your opinion ? Now with that question asked I will ask another one that deals my my ride ( hope you dont mind all these questions ) its an 04 warrior 21/38 gearing silver pri. oso sec. stock rollers and weights, ripsaw with 96 down the middle , where do I go from here? ( 200 lbs of cranky old dude digging out of another ditch) Thanks for all your other posts I have learned a lot ,( but I still cant ask for directions, THANK GOD FOR GPS !)

First of all you have to take this thing out and pin it and find out what your reving at the top and do it a number of times until your certain what your reving at wide open throttle. If your reving at 10200 your probably right where you need to be. Once you have your top reving number PM Turk and let him guide you. He knows clutching on these sleds I dont its that simple. LOL

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!?? Where is our snow ? Hope to get some seat time in soon , booked a cabin in Fort Kent Jan 7 thru 11 , not looking very good . When we get back I will up date our results with this mod ,looks good so far . We should have plenty of info and questions for Turk on the clutching ,that is if we can find some snow to ride ! Might be looking elsewhere for a place to ride ,anyone have any hidden gems they wish to share? ( me.,nh.,vt.,ny. 9hrs or less drive time ?) BUMMED OUT OLD BASTARD ON A WARRIOR .

Sled Dog,
Sorry for the late reply here. No I never did any clutch tweaking yet. The RPM are a little high on the trails but I'm thinking in the deep snow or slush (hope not) the engine load will keep the RPM's right where they should be.

Jigger said:
Sled Dog,
Sorry for the late reply here. No I never did any clutch tweaking yet. The RPM are a little high on the trails but I'm thinking in the deep snow or slush (hope not) the engine load will keep the RPM's right where they should be.

Hey Jigger how is the sled running otherwise than a higer rpm? Mine did the same thing I was running high rpm and Turks cluthing brought it right where it needs to be.

Thanks Sleddog for this Mod! I have everything done on the airbox and clutching with my Drag and Fly's but I'm still waiting on the Jet's. The 170 Main Jets are on national backorder, so I ordered the 165 Mains and 20 pilot's. Should this be sufficient? It is a jump from 135 stock. Thoughts?

Bill

SMOKNZ said:
Thanks Sleddog for this Mod! I have everything done on the airbox and clutching with my Drag and Fly's but I'm still waiting on the Jet's. The 170 Main Jets are on national backorder, so I ordered the 165 Mains and 20 pilot's. Should this be sufficient? It is a jump from 135 stock. Thoughts?

Bill

It should be fine with the 165's and 20's, run it like that and let us know how it runs. ;)!

It's running strong no bogs so far. I haven't had much seat time this year. But the time I've ridden it it's pulling strong. Seems to be a little louder but I'm guessing that's the air getting sucked into the carbs.

Back