• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

Finally got around to cleaning the carbs. Than I got to thinking/reading other threads a couple of nights ago. My sled with the air box mod was working fine earlier in the year. Than I started to develop a miss or bog when I went on and off the throttle (WOT to mid back to WOT). This issue got worst and it wouldn't even rev past 6000-7000 without missing. Put the clean carbs back on raised the sled up and sled missing at 6000 or so. Close the door and turn off the lights in the shop I can clearly see arcing on the plug boots. I'm hoping this is my issue. Took the boots off cleaned them good and put some dielectric grease on. Wife had to run into town so I'll wait until she returns to install the newly cleaned spark plug boots. Hope this solves my problem.

Went to put the coils back on tested the fit with the new plugs. Two of the four coils don't grab the plugs and hold on to it. I'm thinking the issue is the coils, Looking for a set in the classifieds. Bit of a time crunch as I have a overnighter planned for next weekend. $90 a piece at the dealer.
If anyone has any good ones they want to sell give me a PM.

Update got my new to me coils. Tested prior to install and meets manufactures specs. Installed light show gone. Thinking I have the issue solved took it for a test ride. Idles fine. WOT fine. Mid bog/hesitation still there not as bad. Maybe bad gas. Add additive to try and clean-up fuel not much of a change.

My symptom is a major bog between 6000-7500 rpm if I get on the throttle quickly. The engine sounds louder. If I'm just cruising in this RPM range than I'm getting a pop,pop sound coming from the exhaust. If I slowly accelerate then I don't get the major bog. My plugs look lean white/grey.

Move up the needle clips one spot tested in the garage but didn't have a chance to take it out. Haven't looked at the plugs. The bog seems to have disappeared but I'll have to test it under load.

When I cleaned the carbs they were clean. Double checked to ensure that my 165 mains were in the proper spot.

I'm thinking maybe my exhaust donuts are shot and causing this issue. I do have an under tunnel exhaust. I ran it last year without this issue.

I'll work on it tonight. Sled is still ridable just annoying little issue.

Moved the needles one clip from the top. Took a good look at the carb boots and found the factory seal on the airbox was gone. Siliconed the boots back into palace and covered some of the holes. The rear bank of small holes at the bottom of the air box. Bog is much less, still there but much better. The plugs have a light tan on them. I might try increasing my idle jets to 20.0 but I'll ride the sled this weekend the way it is.

The mod was working fine earlier in the year you said so must find what has changed? I think you may be right on the exhaust donuts. If it worked fine before then something has changed that needs to be found and addressed.

Increased my pilot jet to 22.5 I think my issue is solved. I took the sled for a ride today and the mid-range bog is gone. I had the family with me so I couldn't really test it out but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's solved. I went to 22.5 because the dealer only had two 20.0 jets. I'll take a look at the plugs. Oh ya I went back to the stock exhaust but this never changed the mid-range bog. I also looked at my exhaust donuts and they were fine. The jets is what changed it.

So with this mod I'm running 165 mains, 22.5 pilots and it looks like it's running good.

Glad to see you got it where you want it. When the engine is running right this mod really does light the sled up a notch. Now go enjoy it! lol

Sled dog, I did a 500km loop today sled ran great I actually used less fuel than my buddies Apex. I normally used at least 2 more liters than him but today I used .75 liters less. Sled pulled hard and strong no issues , Until I was 10km from home broke my suspension (see ZX2 post in suspension forum). The mod is still working though. Hopefully I can get the parts from AD Boivin and save the remainder of the season.

That's to bad about the skid hopefully you can get the parts and get them shipped over night. I noticed the fuel increase on mine as well I now use about the same fuel my wife does on her rx1.

So with my mod this is what is working great for me at 1800 feet elevation. I am running 165 mains found the 170's a bit rich. My pilots are stock 17.5. CV springs are stock 04 mountain. Pilot screws are set at 2 turns out from light seat. Gearing is stock 04 mountain. Track is stock 04 mountain. I am going to pull a weight from the primary clutch and post what spring and what arm is in there. Secondary is stock 04 mountain.

The Primary spring in my sled is a Y-S-Y and the weights are 8FA-17605-10-00 with both rivets installed. So my primary clutching is basically the same as a stock 05 Warrior and my secondary is stock 04 rx-1 mountain which is a white spring with 70 degrees twist. I am reving 10300 to 10500 WFO. So there you have it the complete mod that works and is cheap extra HP and top end. With this mod you should be able to hang with or beat the older Apex's with your RX-1 ;)! ;)!

Sounds good.
What is the stock 04 secondary? 45* or 47* helix & what spring color? What wrap?
Also what rivits are you running in the 8FA's?

Thanks. Hope to try this out next season.

culvert said:
Sounds good.
What is the stock 04 secondary? 45* or 47* helix & what spring color? What wrap?
Also what rivits are you running in the 8FA's?

Thanks. Hope to try this out next season.

Helix is 51/43 and the secondary wrap is 70 degrees white spring.

Rivets are 17.2 steel (4.5 grams) inner and 17.2 steel (4.5 grams) outer

You can find all that out by going to the yamaha parts finder at the top of each page on this forum or in the TY TECH pages also at the top of each page.

Ok, thanks.
Its nicer when it all in one area or post rather than half the info then going to another page to find the rest of it.

Thanks again.

Back