• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

Well I guess my air box mod must working. I just spent the last half hour cutting belt cord out of my secondary clutch with trauma scissors from my first aid kit. I guess the old belt couldn't take the new found power. WOW when they blow there is shrapnel all over the place.

You must be having way to much fun with the fun flipper on the right hand side. Enjoy and keep posting those pictures for the guys that are not riding. lol

I have to do this to my 04 RX-1 I got on Tuesday!! I am new to 4S, Should I do anything with the crankcase breather deal??

You will like this mod mjpowersports.

Well I start days off tomorow so I will be able to put some miles on and get a reading on the plugs and see if I need to open the air box more or close it up some.
Man, we're getting dumped on again with the snow, about 1.5"-2" in the last 2 hours and still coming down strong. Wish I could send some to you guys so you could get out sledding. Then I wouldn't have to spend all my time plowing or should I say shoveling now that my quad is broke down.

I am in the process of doing this mod as well. I noticed that some people are running 20 pilots and some are leaving stock. I bought the 20 pilots from Royal Distributing and they appear to be totaly different. I live just east of Winnipeg Manitoba and we are flat. Do I need the 20 pilot or will stock be ok? Looks like Yamaha wants $25 each for new pilots!
Attached picture shows stock on left and 20 on right.

On a side note, we are in line for another weather record in January. Supposed to hit +6 C today. Not a good start to the year!

Attachments

• IMG00361-20120109-2131.jpg
    IMG00361-20120109-2131.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 389
I am running the stock 04 mountain pilots 17.5 and stock CV springs in my set up. My elevation is much higher than you though. I am at 580m and I believe you are under 100m above sea level so you may need the bigger pilot. Why not try without for now you can always change them later.

Put her back together and running real strong. Just need to wait for snow as there is only about 3 inches on the ground. There is a farm road that has some nice hard pack that the trucks have been packing down so that is a good test. I am noticing a slight pop when decelerating, but not all the time. I know I am in need of enhaust doughnuts, so that is next project. Could running stock pilot jet cause this as well? Anyways, excellent mod and nice and clear instructions, thanks guys!

I am haveing a tough time reading my plugs since this air box mod. The plugs are new cr10ek's with about 30-40 miles on them. It is tough to tell exactly how they are burning because the are really clean looking. These are some pictures of just one of the plugs, but they are all similar. Sorry for the crappy pictures.
Winter20112012024.jpg

Winter20112012023.jpg

Winter20112012026.jpg

Winter20112012025.jpg

Winter20112012022.jpg

Winter20112012026.jpg

FYI, I'm running this mod with 165 mains, 22.5 pilots, needle one clip from the top, stock springs and it's running good. I had a mid range bog and was going to go up to 20 pilots but the dealer only had 2-20 so i went up to 22.5. I run at 300 meters Been running strong. I had to replace the carb vent lines in the off season old and cracked causing so other issues.

Did you cut open the air box exactly to what sled dog posted. I figured out the area and opened it up slightly less, as he was using 170 mains.
I have 165 mains, stock pilots (17's I think), with yellow springs. I had the stock springs in at first and they worked fine but according to the spring instructions it called for yellow for a modified air box, I had them so I put them in. It is runninf great and pulls hard but I just want to dial in the air/fuel mixture just right.

i did open the box up exactly the same. it ran strong then i started getting a mid range bog and tried a couple of different things. I did tape up the holes at the back of the air box the ones directly under the carb rack. I used Gorilla tape. I changed the pilots and got rid of the mid range bog. I think I still have the tape on those holes. I also had to change out my carb vent lines. as I was having some major issues at he end of the season. Felt like the sled was running on one or two cylinders. I guess I was getting major air leak (vacuum) on the carbs. This could have been causing all the issues i had last year. As I followed sled dogs instructions to a T and the sled ran good and strong for half the season then I started having troubles. Sled is running strong so far this season. I think my plugs have a bit more colour to them darker tan than yours.

Back