• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modified Rx1 Airbox With Pictures

I did the mod. 170 mains and 20 pilots and at first i add a really bad bog at 6000 rpm . Tryed messing with holes, pluging them with tape but it was worst. So i raised the needles one slot (lowered the clip one slot).

Not only it as more power it sounds awesome and the snow dosent get sucked in the air box so much.

I Wish i would ave done the mod a long time ago.

THIS IS WORKING FOR ME BUT AS WITH ANY MOD YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

(The bottom of the air box mod)

I cut eight inch and a quarter holes in the bottom of the air box six directly under the foam facing the carbs and you can see the battery through the holes. The other two are directly on the bottom and on each side of the air box under the foam by the smaller little foam pieces. Next I took out the rubber snout on the bottom of the air box and with a jigsaw and using the side edge of the stock hole as my guideline I cut right to each side of the air box making a nice round curve on each side. So in other words you are extending the stock hole to each side of the air box and rounding both sides. Use a file to make sure to clean off any loose plastic particle from the air box and blow clean with compressed air.

(The baffle above the foam)

The baffle now has a total of 14 inches of hole cut in it as well. This includes the holes there from the factory, 7 inches on each side of the baffle to keep air flow in balance. I got this measurement by measuring each holes diameter. Make sure to not hit anything on the inside of the baffle while picking your spots to cut with hole saw. Again use a file to clean your hole edge and blow clean with compressed air. Do yourself a favor and silicone your clamps in place so they dont move when you go to put your air box on. It sure makes it easy when the clamps are not moving on you.

(Carburetors)

Carbs are jetted with 170 mains and stock 04 springs. I had no hesitation so I seen no need to install the red CV Holzman springs.

(Clutching)

The Primary spring in my sled is a Y-S-Y and the weights are 8FA-17605-10-00 with both rivets installed. So my primary clutching is basically the same as a stock 05 Warrior and my secondary is stock 04 rx-1 mountain which is a white spring with 70 degrees twist. I am reving 10300 to 10500 WFO. So there you have it the complete mod that works and is cheap extra HP and top end. With this mod you should be able to hang with or beat the older Apex's with your RX-1

(Gearing)

My top gear was 21 tooth but is now 24 tooth and my bottom gear is still 40 tooth with a 70 link chain.

(Spark plugs)

Spark plugs are CR10EK and are running a nice tan color with my modded air box on.

(The hood vents)

I took them all off and installed them back on with womens black nylons to keep the snow from coming directly under the hood but still let air in for cooling.

This is running as good or better in performance than the K&Ns I had installed prior to modding the air box. When it comes to not freezing up the air box is much better than the K&N's even with the outerwear prefilters.

Enjoy!

I took pictures tonight and will post them later.
Hi there, wanting to the air box mod. Other then putting in 170 main jets, i have to change pilot jet or move the needle position?

THIS IS WORKING FOR ME BUT AS WITH ANY MOD YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

(The bottom of the air box mod)

I cut eight inch and a quarter holes in the bottom of the air box six directly under the foam facing the carbs and you can see the battery through the holes. The other two are directly on the bottom and on each side of the air box under the foam by the smaller little foam pieces. Next I took out the rubber snout on the bottom of the air box and with a jigsaw and using the side edge of the stock hole as my guideline I cut right to each side of the air box making a nice round curve on each side. So in other words you are extending the stock hole to each side of the air box and rounding both sides. Use a file to make sure to clean off any loose plastic particle from the air box and blow clean with compressed air.

(The baffle above the foam)

The baffle now has a total of 14 inches of hole cut in it as well. This includes the holes there from the factory, 7 inches on each side of the baffle to keep air flow in balance. I got this measurement by measuring each holes diameter. Make sure to not hit anything on the inside of the baffle while picking your spots to cut with hole saw. Again use a file to clean your hole edge and blow clean with compressed air. Do yourself a favor and silicone your clamps in place so they dont move when you go to put your air box on. It sure makes it easy when the clamps are not moving on you.

(Carburetors)

Carbs are jetted with 170 mains and stock 04 springs. I had no hesitation so I seen no need to install the red CV Holzman springs.

(Clutching)

The Primary spring in my sled is a Y-S-Y and the weights are 8FA-17605-10-00 with both rivets installed. So my primary clutching is basically the same as a stock 05 Warrior and my secondary is stock 04 rx-1 mountain which is a white spring with 70 degrees twist. I am reving 10300 to 10500 WFO. So there you have it the complete mod that works and is cheap extra HP and top end. With this mod you should be able to hang with or beat the older Apex's with your RX-1

(Gearing)

My top gear was 21 tooth but is now 24 tooth and my bottom gear is still 40 tooth with a 70 link chain.

(Spark plugs)

Spark plugs are CR10EK and are running a nice tan color with my modded air box on.

(The hood vents)

I took them all off and installed them back on with womens black nylons to keep the snow from coming directly under the hood but still let air in for cooling.

This is running as good or better in performance than the K&Ns I had installed prior to modding the air box. When it comes to not freezing up the air box is much better than the K&N's even with the outerwear prefilters.

Enjoy!

I took pictures tonight and will post them l
Hi again, still waiting for carb info and just thought you should no i ride at 240 above sea level

Hey Pat83, this thread was started 12 years ago and hasn’t been updated since 2015. Not sure your going to get a response some of these members may not be active anymore.

Back