• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modify exhaust expansion joints?

Fortress

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX1
Has anyone on here successfully cut off this expensive exhaust expansion joint setup,found a aftermarket ones and clamped them back on?
I have 2 of these machines,if I end up cracking all 8 of these expansion joints eventually,it’s really going to cost me, I bet there is a better way!

Wife’s sled definitely has some cracked ones right now,it sounds like a retarded tractor,ordered 2 joints and 4 donuts was like $500!! I haven’t tore it apart yet,stuck at work but I’m sure from the vibration and noise there’s way more wrong then donuts

Although it's possible the exhaust flex joint is cracked or there is a leak in one of the exhaust joint's bellows, it could just be that some of the exhaust donuts are shot. It wasn't really until Yamaha went with titanium headers did guys have issues with cracked headers but don't recall there really being an issue with the actual flex joint itselft. The reason the headers cracked was due to the donuts failing and not being addressed in time. Now, guys go with copper exhaust donuts as they last a very long time; much longer than stock and I just picked up a set and were only like $6-7 more than OEM.

As for eliminating the flex joint altogether , I don't believe that was the case as even with the one vendor's kits that some had tried only addressed (ie. eliminated) the exhaust donuts as you still had to use the flex joint where you only cut off the flanged end. Again, the primarily reason for guys using this kit was due to cracked header pipes and not eliminating the flex joint. I have over 11,000 miles on my RX-1, and I've only had to replace the exhaust donuts; never had an issue with the flex joints.

Yeah I think that’s what happened to us we were in the middle of a ride when something went and just got louder and louder,now with vibration too I’ll report my findings back here next week,I did find those copper donuts on scamazon though $50!

If they are broken, there is this kit that eliminates them and the donuts. Expensive as hell though and you have to take the whole system out.

I haven't used them so can't comment on them. They do look like a solid piece. Wish they were available when I broke my MP's exhaust twice.

Thanks, yeah that’s what I was afraid of, I was hoping for a cheap farmer fix lol

Up in Canada ehhh lol
FDA6B44F-F167-403E-B2D4-076A171D25D4.jpg

I do not have any experience either with FX Garage Works exhaust donut fix but do recall others having leak issues as they were never really able to tighten up the connections between the exhaust flex joints that you cut off the flanged ends and the header pipes you cut off the flanged ends. I suspect if you do a quick search, you should be able to locate those threads as I recall them being fairly recent like within the last year or so.

Oh nice! Yeah I’m scared to order anything across the border right now with our crimeminister in power right now, it’s going to take forever to get anything and insane inflation

Ever time I’ve had those braided joints on a car they have blown apart,I’m sure those are better made tho and don’t get dragged under a car

on my 05 rx war, when the donuts failed, it took out the y pipes flange for the donuts. i had the titanium exhaust and switched back to the 03 stainless y pipes as they where 1/2 price. there are flange repair kits out there as well.

only had one 03 rx1 with failed bellows pipes and that one had been cobbled together so that the weight was all hanging off of the bellows and it only had one screw holding up the pipe bracket in the tunnel.

Back