• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modify exhaust expansion joints?

Thanks for the info,I have it in the back of my mind that something could be outa wack from ditch banging hard and fawked the exhaust,2 more days till I can rip it apart and see

Hopefully, it's just the donuts on the expansion joints. My OEM versions weren't really that bad but were beginning to deteriorate on the undersides. Since I had the muffler off to replace it, it developed a leak, I went with copper donuts. Have everything cleaned up and am just waiting for exhaust header gasket to finally arrive.

ExhaustJoints.JPG

That exhaust header gasket is in one piece I see,if I do replace a expansion joint wonder if I should just tin snip the gasket apart (cut the ones out I need to replace)

1.) It would be very hard to snip the gasket while you still have the other expansion joints mounted and 2.) you probably can get by with just re-using the gasket as I did not replace it the last time I changed the expansion joint donuts. I just figured with having over 19,000 miles, it was time to replace mime.

1.) It would be very hard to snip the gasket while you still have the other expansion joints mounted and 2.) you probably can get by with just re-using the gasket as I did not replace it the last time I changed the expansion joint donuts. I just figured with having over 19,000 miles, it was time to replace mime.
That’s awesome how do you guys get so many miles? Lol in Alberta Canada between having crap snow,working,and hitting all kinds of debris are sleds are worn out fast.In eastern Canada they seem to be able to rack them up too,better trails for sure.

Two week long trips to the U.P. every year and then 2-3 weekend trips will cause the mileage to add up. For example, the trip between Christmas and New Years this year, my son and I were able to rack up just a little over 1000 miles that trip. Heck, my 18 Apex has close to 8,000 miles on it already. Fortunately for me with owning an RX-1 and two Apex's, I pretty much have the proper maintenance down to make these sleds last a long time and still be very reliable. ;)!

I got into the donuts! You guys were right no broken bellows,I couldn’t find any remnants of old donuts all 4 totally gone? All clamps were loose for a very long time judging by the marks on bottom plate,all flanges were nice shape too so I should be riding again tomorrow, I did strip both Allen bolts that hold it from sliding they were rusted….now trying to drill the studs out, they must be stainless cause none of my drill bits can take it,I might just shoot some self tapping screws in beside them lol

We’ll I thought donuts were my problem, got them in, sounded better but still ran bad,cleaned carbs,still ran bad,finally tried all coils, one brand new Amazon one was dead,now it’s running good! Has much more hanging idle though when you let off, but good enough!

$18 each. Not that much more than OEMs; even Partzilla lists them for $14.10 each.

Back