• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Modular or MX-type Helmet?

I wear an MX style HJC with Scott googles. The thing i found that works best for me(big melon) is I wear 2 balacava. The inside one I keep down at eye brow line, and the second I keep up over my nose. It is the only way I could keep from having exposed skin. Rode in -5 temps from Muni to Lando in 6 hours, so it was hi speed riding. Maxdlx

MI_Sledder said:
I am relatively new to the sport, and have ridden 3 seasons with a BRP helmet. I can honestly say that I have never fogged-up the shield, but my ears and jaw ache after a few hours of riding, and I'm getting burned-out on all the clap-trap to take the thing on and off. I have tried a size larger, which was the worst of both worlds in that it was loose but still hurt my ears and jaw.

I have been curious about trying an MX helmet and goggles, but have been reluctant, thinking that there is no way it could be wind proof. But I see a lot of guys using MX hemets.

So what are the key points, regarding an MX helmet / goggle set-up that will be fog-free and frostbite free. I ride groomed trail in the UP of MI, anywhere from slow trail speeds to 80-ish when it's "reasonable and prudent."

Any (constructive) tips you might have are appreciated.

For really cold days and long trail rides I have a Bv2s. On warmer days or if I'm boondocking alot I wear a HJC CL-X5 "MX" style helmet. I like them both. 75% of the time I wear the HJC.

Last year was the first time that I have tried an MX helmet, but do have a HJC w/ electric shield in my bag. I liked it becauase you are not corded to the sled. I also to wear prescrip. glasses. The googles area little easier to deal with putting them on. It was was cold balsting across Houghton Lake, but when I got into the trails it was warm.

I wear a Yamaha balclava (sp) and I also wear a fleece neck wind breaker, but I also wear that under my full face.

all i wear is a mx style fly racing. i have a double thick balaclava and a fleece neck warmer. i can ride in the coldest temps wisconsin can through at us and that was on an apex rtx with the little tiny windshield. light weight good visibility one set of dark goggles one set of clear. good to go.

If you like your head to be toasty, an mx helmet is not for you. It will keep you cool without being cold or frost-bitten if you do it right. I've been using an mx helmet exclusively for 6 seasons now and have yet to get even minor frost bite. The only problem is when temps are below -20. Riding at high speeds can frost the lens. An electric shield seems to be the only solution.

Helmet

Sorry took so long, Told you I would post a pic of my head gear, here it is.

Attachments

• 718687503209_0_BG.jpg
    718687503209_0_BG.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 156
I'am also thinking of a mx helmet. Has anyone seen the Castle x ? Looks like it is a little more enclosed over your mouth and towards your nose thought it might be a bit warmer. Some good pictures of it in the new SnowGoer issue
:rocks:

Mohawk

Thanks Easy Rider. I see them all over now. Going to have to change it up a little bit this year. Got to be a little different.... :jump:

Eagle1 said:
I'am also thinking of a mx helmet. Has anyone seen the Castle x ? Looks like it is a little more enclosed over your mouth and towards your nose thought it might be a bit warmer. Some good pictures of it in the new SnowGoer issue
:rocks:

The castle helmets are hjc.

I switched to this one last year, a carbon fiber MX, and I love it. I don't hardly ever get cold. A bit spendy, but it's light as H@ll and I can ride all day without getting uncomfortable..
IMG_1594.jpg

The trick to using a mx helmet is to make sure (in front of you bathroom mirror) that all skin is covered, and do it a few times till it comes second nature. Normally my cut-off for riding is -25 but I have gone to -40 without being cold or frostbitten. Dual pane goggle lenses work great for not fogging

I agree with Daranello 100% on the BV2S, best helmet I have ever owned!

Dox06 we chatted with you last year at the trail crossing near Curtis, never mistake that helmet anywhere!

Cobalt
:-o

Helmet

Made that much of an impression eh? :tg: Do alot of riding up there. Have yet to decide what we are going to do this year for our week long trip.
Try to set up at least one week long run. We stay in either Pine stump or Grand Maris and ride out of there quite a bit. Thinking about starting in Irons at a buddy cabin and ending up some place in the UP. Much rather pay the gas money in the sled this year than driving 6hrs to get to a cabin paying for 8 to 10 miles a gallon in our trucks. Look for the helmet again this year, but maybe with one or two more colors, and we will have to ride.

:Rockon:

Back