• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mono skid to 144 any review?

BETHEVIPER

Lifetime Member
I read through most everything on here that I come up with in a search. Still never found anyone giving a review of the good the bad of a mono skid converted to 144 in either a setback or full extension.

I picked up an se with a 128 and will most likely be lengthening it to use a 144 track.

Anyone riding a mono 144 that can let me know what you found, other than track tension issues, that is a given.

Not sure I want to put my M10 in this sled since it already has the more durable version of the mono and is air ride so I can quickly change my sled to ride double with the kids like I do now with my air ride m10.

My understanding is a mono stretched to 144 requires the track to be run very loose, as track tension gets tighter when it goes through full stroke. Stretching to 136 with a setback for 144 is the way to go based on conversation I had years ago with Ulmer.

1-1/2" composit works well on trail.

1.25 Ripsaw II, 1.5 Crossover , and the 1.75 Backcountry are all 144 tracks that I have run with no issues on trail. LOTSA miles on the Crossover having used it on my Attak, Apex and Nytro. My favorite track for sure of the 3 for all around use. Ripsaw lasted 1 trip on the Apex and came off for the Crossover. So, you do have options.

I am fine on tracks. I will probably install my 1in ice attack. Love the track. I have no need for deep lug tracks. I ride the groomed trail and enjoy wacking the gas and kicking out the #*$&@ end when I want.

I am more interested in information on guys running Mono skids with 144 tracks.

I had one that was converted to 144. It was stretched to 136 and slid back.

As stated above you need extrovert drivers and run your track extremely loose! I actually broke my front drive shaft from it being too snug.

I was not a big fan of it personally. With the skid set back it put a lot of weight on the skis. This took away the playful feel of the monoshock. You couldn't smack the gas and pick the front end up like you can on a mono shock bolted in the stock location. Also when going over rough trail you couldn't carry the skis over the bumps. I personally felt it was due to the skid being moved back and not supporting the front end weight of the sled.

For trail riding or deep snow moving the skid back to get the 144 length didn't seem like a bonus to me. I know you get a better approach angle. But my apex xtx seems to go through deep snow better than the stretched mono. But a stock location mono rides much better than the ck skid in the xtx!

This is just my feelings on it. Some people claimed the opposite. That it was exactly what they wanted it to do and worked perfectly for them. I only kept it for one year and didn't play around with it a lot. Possibly could have been better if it was set up different. So dont let my opinion scare you away from it!
:beer:

I had one that was converted to 144. It was stretched to 136 and slid back.

As stated above you need extrovert drivers and run your track extremely loose! I actually broke my front drive shaft from it being too snug.

I was not a big fan of it personally. With the skid set back it put a lot of weight on the skis. This took away the playful feel of the monoshock. You couldn't smack the gas and pick the front end up like you can on a mono shock bolted in the stock location. Also when going over rough trail you couldn't carry the skis over the bumps. I personally felt it was due to the skid being moved back and not supporting the front end weight of the sled.

For trail riding or deep snow moving the skid back to get the 144 length didn't seem like a bonus to me. I know you get a better approach angle. But my apex xtx seems to go through deep snow better than the stretched mono. But a stock location mono rides much better than the ck skid in the xtx!

This is just my feelings on it. Some people claimed the opposite. That it was exactly what they wanted it to do and worked perfectly for them. I only kept it for one year and didn't play around with it a lot. Possibly could have been better if it was set up different. So dont let my opinion scare you away from it!
:beer:
thanks for the reply. I can't imagine wanting to do a 4in set back. Seems alot. How was the ride with it back there?

I plan on using extrovers. I am very familiar with track tension with my 144M10 conversion. Set the tension to 4-5 inches of hanging sag and go riding with tools, adjust for top speed. My setup now keeps track tension similar from about half to bottoming out, from half to extended, it is crazy loose.

I may just mock up a lexan tunnel like I did for my last build and make sure everything is where I want it, then make some extensions. I will be mounting a 136 style rear set of upper idlers to keep correct tension on this skid.

Ride was alright, but with all the weight being carried by the skis the front end seemed to follow every bump. On normal mono shocks you get good transfer and can carry the front end over bumps better. And it really rode like crap when my track was only slight loose. Then I broke my drive shaft as the track was stopping it from bottoming out. When I got it super crazy loose the back end rode fine.

I still don't understand why you can't just extend the 121 mono to a 144 like the old vipers.

Do not try to extend the 121" Mono skid to 144". The geometry will not work.

I stretched out a 136" Mono skid to a 144" length with great success. I did not use rail extensions. I had some custom rails made by Ice Age that worked out really well. The rear carrier wheel axle also needs to be moved back.

The 144" Mono skid along with a Camso Crossover track was a very good set up.

This was in a custom 2002 SRX that I built quite a few years ago.

SRX.JPG

Do not try to extend the 121" Mono skid to 144". The geometry will not work.

I stretched out a 136" Mono skid to a 144" length with great success. I did not use rail extensions. I had some custom rails made by Ice Age that worked out really well. The rear carrier wheel axle also needs to be moved back.

The 144" Mono skid along with a Camso Crossover track was a very good set up.

This was in a custom 2002 SRX that I built quite a few years ago.

View attachment 155932

So what is the difference going from 136 to 144 compared to 121 to 144. Why does 136 to 144 work but not the 121 to 144?

I would say that the upper rear pivot being back further on the 136. When I do it, I may move the rear upper idler back the same amount needed. Last build I did I mocked it all up with lexan sides for the tunnel so I could see how everything interacts.

As far as the track goes, I have a studded cobra I will try. I had something similar in my old apex for a season or two and hated it. Too much traction for normal trail riding. This might not be as bad with the power stearing. I'll give it a try. That and I don't dare tear apart my old apex yet till I get this one together. Time has a way of getting away from me, lunch time, doubley so

I would say that the upper rear pivot being back further on the 136. When I do it, I may move the rear upper idler back the same amount needed. Last build I did I mocked it all up with lexan sides for the tunnel so I could see how everything interacts.

As far as the track goes, I have a studded cobra I will try. I had something similar in my old apex for a season or two and hated it. Too much traction for normal trail riding. This might not be as bad with the power stearing. I'll give it a try. That and I don't dare tear apart my old apex yet till I get this one together. Time has a way of getting away from me, lunch time, doubley so

I understand about time. Tht is why I am trying to figure out this now. I kinda understand what you are saying moving stuff back.
For the life of me I don't understand why only 2 people I found here 121 boughtto 144 rail extensions. Tunnel extensions. 144 track. Out it on and adjust and ride with no problems. I don't get why everyone is saying don't do it for whatever reason. I just don't get it. Lol

Back