• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

More 2011 Photos...

eps

Power steering is for wimps. Pretty soon there will be a super sensitive weight transfer system so you won't even have to get your #*$&@ off the seat.....and then on to auto pilot so it feels like your favorite couch. :4STroke:

Re: eps

ingersoll113 said:
Power steering is for wimps. Pretty soon there will be a super sensitive weight transfer system so you won't even have to get your #*$&@ off the seat.....and then on to auto pilot so it feels like your favorite couch. :4STroke:

if my couch would do 100+ mph than I wouldn't get off of it! :Rockon:

Ingrosoll,
Formula one cars have power steering, Indy cars have power steering as do many other super performance machines. The Road Race sports car in my Avatar has electric power steering, it will pull 3+G's laterally and 2+ G's on the brakes, its almost undrivable at those G's w/out it for more than a couple laps. Power steering will make the Nytro much faster in every kind of terrain possible, and thats wimpy?

mj

Love it!!! Hope it has even more horsepower! I think February 2nd or 3rd we get the full details........

Alatalo said:
I would prefer a 30-40 kilogram weight reduction instead of power steering. Any day...

I don't think we'll see 4 strokes getting too much lighter. The engines are heavy by nature. Much more complex than a 2 stroke as everybody knows. The chassis is about the only place they can go to make it lighter. Personally I'd rather have a a little stronger chassis! Weight reduction is always nice but once it starts jeapordizing the integrity of the machine then I say no. Just standing on and kind of bouncing around on an XP you can tell it's a borderline tin can! I say if you can drastically improve handling and reduce steering effort by adding power steering then go for it! There is hardly an ATV manufacturer out there that doesn't use power steering now after Yamaha released that! Hmmm...

I bet it will be good on groomed trails but im not that convinced it will be a hit in the big stuff.. Might be wrong but im with Alatalo on this.. A diet to the same weight as eh MXZ 1200 shouldnt be a problem! Just fill the sled with HELIUM! HEHE

I was at my a nearby parts distributor/retailer last week, allot of stuff moves through there. There was a big guy buying a complete new 2 stoke engine for his Ski Doo XP 800R, he walked out easily carrying it under one arm.

I'll add there were a few subframes/bulkheads there, even a complete tunnel ready for pick up. They were not for crashed sleds.....

MaineiacZ06 said:
Alatalo said:
I would prefer a 30-40 kilogram weight reduction instead of power steering. Any day...
Exactly....they don't need to be adding more weight... :o|
x 3, lose 40-50lbs and add 20 more hp and I would be way more happy, then having power steering.... EPS will be nice, but it does not mean it will handle any better.

guys im not trying to start something but dont you know that when you hit a bump without power steering you feel the entire bump, but with ps it takes away 99% of the bump AND scrub that comes through the steering wheel or handlebars. you guys got to ride a grizzly with ps and one without because you can definitely control the one with ps going through the bumps much easier. i know this for a fact because i have a 04 griz and a 08 griz with eps. maybe it might not be as noticeable on a sled as an atv but if it cleans up that steering scrub and makes it easier to steer i think its going to be a big improvment. just my po.

Kråkan said:
I bet it will be good on groomed trails but im not that convinced it will be a hit in the big stuff
You nailed it.
I am not trying to be negative, but the last thing you need in the big bumps is an even heavier Apex...
No, this one is for sure a good sled, just not for you and me...

Kråkan said:
A diet to the same weight as eh MXZ 1200 shouldnt be a problem!
And you nailed it again.
How come the MXZ1200 is so much lighter even though the engine itself is more than 10 kilograms heavier...?
Can we go at least a little bit in that direction, please...?

All this talk about making the sled 30-40 lbs lighter makes me laugh, can you guys tell the difference in the weight of your sled when it is full of gas vs when it is near empty, I sure as hell can't and thats about the weight reduction we are talking about here. And then we all bitch when we bend subframes and a arms and wonder why they aren't more durable, we need to lay in the bed we make for ourselves. I personally will take a few pounds more weight on my machine if it makes it more durable or makes my ride more enjoyable and I think EPS may just do that. I think it may just be a game changer, time will tell but I applaud Yamaha for breaking new ground yet again. If your machine is too heavy buy a Ski Doo , I'm sure you will be able to put it in your pop can crusher when you are done with it so it can be more easily recycled. I don't think our Nytro's are that out of line weight wise anyway, as a matter of fact I think it weighs nearly identical to my 700 Fusion , not too bad for a 1049cc four stroke.

Thats what I meant Alatalo.. I made a wishlist for santa at sledtalk about that!

About hits in the bar etc. Thats not all that is interesting... Much of riding a newer rider forward sled is about throwing it around the corners.. Thats not to easy with a heavy sled... Alot easier with 30kg less to throw around! I am not talking about 10m wide trails with alittle sweeping corners.. I am talking about narrow, bumpt and tight corners.

Last years test (Wet weight) had the SE at 281kg, the XP 800 was at 236kg and the Renegade 1200 at 288. The 1200 is in my calculations (with the same amount of fuel) 17-9 = 8kg lighter than the SE. Now the 1200 is about 10kg heavier. Then we could say tha chassis is 8+10=18kg lighter than the SE chassis. And that is on a 136" sled!!

I am not saying all is good on the 1200 but why not aim at that?

Back